What's new

Hillary Clinton 'does not want her grandchildren to live in a world dominated by the Chinese

Ah, how I wish to land on a job in Mainland! A friend of mine got his PhD four years ago, worked for years at a government office, then did two years postdoctoral on international maritime law, and finally he successfully got an adjunct professor position in the Mainland.

This is the Taiwan story for most oyoungsters. And in fact not just youngsters. For the Middle-aged, too.

Those who are really prosperous and hold nice positions (60+ years olds), they enjoy the benefits of the explosive growth under authoritarian rule. Since then, Taiwan's fundamentals only deteriorated.

Besides, there is no hatred between the two peoples of the same ancestral line; the disagreement is over politics, not over religion, language, sect, fashion, or architecture.

It is political. And Taiwan, by its constitution, also claims the entire Mainland and SCS+Mongolia. Hence, there cannot practically be "independence" for Taiwan in the sense it is propagated in the West.

And, because we did not experience the toxic colonialism of China's Hong Kong, once political disagreement is solved by consensus or force, Taiwan will be de jure (now just de facto) island jewel of the Greater China.

@Nihonjin1051

Last edited:
Too late for the daughter as she already married a nice Jewish boy.
A Jewish guy, really? So Hillary's grandchildren will be named something Mezvinsky, one of whom one day may become another Jewish president of the US like Bernie Sanders . In other words what Hillary meant to say was she wants her grandchildren to live in a world dominated by the Jewish.

Can someone tell me why the name lewinsky popping up in my mind?

Neither do I; we have so much in common!

I want him to be the president though. Trump and Sanders are the only two presidential candidates who didn't commit any war crime yet or not in the same group with them.
I agree these duo have more chances than others. Normal people are more economic oriented or conscious. For most people, money, not war, is the essence of people's life. Like the election slogan goes: Your Money, Your Vote.

Well, Mao most certainly did end China's dynastic past and with it, most of the last vestiges of her Imperial past. I will agree however, that we never just start "fresh". Even America didn't, borrowing the best of British ideas of law, parliament, and individual liberty.

I would argue though, and have been, that democratic systems are far more capable of reform, of adapting, than authoritarian systems are. Indeed, that is one of the key reasons why they inevitably fail.

Lol! :lol: I'm not sure you really understand what democracy is. Here's a clue, your statement here is part of the very definition of it!

Mao is probably the most misunderstood and the most demonized great leader of all time.

What Mao did for the people of China, is what George Washington and Abraham Lincoln did for the people of USA, COMBINED.

He created the People's Republic through his revolution; he liberated the oppressed through his land reforms and eliminated the old social ills that plagued China for thousands of years. When he came to power in 1949, he inherited a war torn, impoverished feudal country that had barely any sign of 20th century. When he left in 1976, China had high HDI, a comprehensive modern industries and a nation-wide irrigation system that would even put today's India to shame.

China built H-bomb, satellites, ICBM and nuclear subs under his watch, the kind of achievements that our Indian friends would cherish dearly today. China even had some world class R&D accomplishments that would win Nobel Prize years later.

Deng was a great leader but he built his fame on the legacy that Mao left behind and the foundation that Mao laid during his era.

As for your statement of authoritarian system bound to fail, I think you may have been a victim of western brainwashing propaganda. China couldn't come this far to be what it is today without a system that is "far more capable of reform, of adapting". In fact, you have confused yourself and have just got the whole democracy-vs-China things upside down.

Last edited:
And, because we did not experience the toxic colonialism of China's Hong Kong, once political disagreement is solved by consensus or force, Taiwan will be de jure (now just de facto) island jewel of the Greater China.
You are right. The situation of HK in some degree is similar to what is happening in Taiwan. Our main disagreement is over politic but with our past history as a colony some people have been brainwashed to a degree that "逢中必反". The yellow umbrella occupation followed exact pattern as the Sunflower movement in Taiwan, and our legislature is nonfunctional where every bill is delayed. I guess foreigner can hardly understand the situation in both HK and Taiwan since they do not live there. The problems we are facing is not simply a bad economy but also inefficient governing due to populism and uncompromised attitude from each side.

not true at all, hinduism although professed by a large number of Indians has never in history been sufficient to keep us together. India is a country of countries, each with its own different culture, language and even take on hinduism. Asking a bihari and tamil to be together because of their religion is like asking a irish and italian to be together because they are christians. Sure it is a force that binds us but a very weak one.

Caste based hierarchical system is actually a cause of instability and civil war(our biggest maoist insurgency is a fightback against hindu caste system in a sense), when significant number of people are at the lowest level of hierarchy, they are going to ask why they are not equal to others. There is inherent instability in the rigid system.

Its India's democracy which is forced to negotiate with large mass of angry and poor people, and federal structure that allows space for our subnationalities, that keeps us together.

India is forged by the British. So it's English language, government, plus Hinduism and the caste system that bind India together. There would be no India without the British.

I was wondering what will be the dominant language in supposedly China dominated world. Will it still be English ? Does mandarin have the potential to replace English ? Obviously, no domination is complete without cultural domination.
We are entering multi-polar era. With the improving education, everyone should be prepared to master multiple languages.
Ah, how I wish to land on a job in Mainland! A friend of mine got his PhD four years ago, worked for years at a government office, then did two years postdoctoral on international maritime law, and finally he successfully got an adjunct professor position in the Mainland.

This is the Taiwan story for most oyoungsters. And in fact not just youngsters. For the Middle-aged, too.

Those who are really prosperous and hold nice positions (60+ years olds), they enjoy the benefits of the explosive growth under authoritarian rule. Since then, Taiwan's fundamentals only deteriorated.

Besides, there is no hatred between the two peoples of the same ancestral line; the disagreement is over politics, not over religion, language, sect, fashion, or architecture.

It is political. And Taiwan, by its constitution, also claims the entire Mainland and SCS+Mongolia. Hence, there cannot practically be "independence" for Taiwan in the sense it is propagated in the West.

@Nihonjin1051
Taiwan's past prosper is based on the following reasons:
1. The looted fortune brought by Nationalist Party. Nationalist Party collected the tax of 1990s in mainland even in 1940s and left Mainland with inflation worse than current Zimbabwe. Most mainland Chinese, except some young and naive ones, do not like Nationalist party.
2. Half of brains of China at that time. This created a big trouble for Mao. He was always frustrated to have qualified officials.
3. Support from 40 million Overseas Chinese. When Mainland was expelled by the West, most of them preferred exchange and trade with Taiwan.

The first two has disappeared with time. The third one has been ruined by Taiwan itself. CCP basically has unified Overseas Chinese. Taiwan has disappeared in their radar except for some with Taiwan origin. If Taiwan wants to prosper, utilizing the Rising mainland is the only route. However, DPP still wants to avoid it. They are naive in overseas trade. Without political support, it is very difficult for international trades. Taiwan even doesn't have UN membership and is the disadvantaged one in international business. Many Taiwanese carry out business overseas under political protection of mainland.

That's the Western mentality..
They actually wanna make the whole world believe that they are the angels sent from above to save the whole world.
But what i think:
WORLD minus US = Peace and Peace. ;)

During last 1000 years, the world basic structure remain unchanged:
1. China/East Asia
2. Islam
3. Eastern Roman/Russia
4. Western Roman
5. Africa
6. India/South Asia
There are only two significant changes:
1. Division of Western Roman into Christian (West Europe/North America) and Catholic (Latin America and Eastern Europe)
2. Subjugation of American Indians by Western Roman

The four dominant civilizations remain basically intact. China learned that the conquering of other civilizations were too difficult after Tang Dynasty and gave up the efforts of dominance after that. The West, especially the United States are still enjoying the game of dominance. United States still haven't learned the lessons from Afghanistan. Chinese Tang empire was the first empire to fall after trying to conquer Afghanistan. It is at the crossing of three great civilizations (Russia/China/Islam) and becomes the tomb of great empires. United States seems to be next if they still keep the idea of dominance.

ASEAN is another place similar to Afghanistan where China, Islam, India and Western meet. If the relation of China and United States really deteriorates, ASEAN could become Afghanistan in larger scale. That's most ASEAN countries except Vietnam and Philippines, are extremely cautious. Vietnam, a smaller China is actually isolated in ASEAN; Philippines, a Catholic country is similar. Vietnam thinks that no matter China or US dominate, it will be fine with smart techniques of balancing; Philippines think that it should exploit the dominance of United States. Both are making huge mistakes because none of China and United States can achieve dominating powers in ASEAN. The deteriorating situation in ASEAN would drag in more and more forces and turn the whole ASEAN into a bigger Afganistan. China is determined to build more bases in SCS to face a possibly chaotic ASEAN.

United States has losing its wisdom due to its arrogance, especially after the fall of Soviet Union. United States hasn't achieved clear leadship among former Western Roman civilization countries; but it keeps thinking to become the leaders of the whole world. If United States really falls, its status in history is less than that of Western Roman Empire, let alone Roman Empire. After 1000 years, people will still talk about Roman Empire frequently because of its legacy in civilization; but United States, it is just another British Empire, or Mongolian Empire. Its impact on the world will slowly phase out as soon as its military power contracts.

During last 1000 years, the world basic structure remain unchanged:
1. China/East Asia
2. Islam
3. Eastern Roman/Russia
4. Western Roman
5. Africa
6. India/South Asia
There are only two significant changes:
1. Division of Western Roman into Christian (West Europe/North America) and Catholic (Latin America and Eastern Europe)
2. Subjugation of American Indians by Western Roman

The four dominant civilizations remain basically intact. China learned that the conquering of other civilizations were too difficult after Tang Dynasty and gave up the efforts of dominance after that. The West, especially the United States are still enjoying the game of dominance. United States still haven't learned the lessons from Afghanistan. Chinese Tang empire was the first empire to fall after trying to conquer Afghanistan. It is at the crossing of three great civilizations (Russia/China/Islam) and becomes the tomb of great empires. United States seems to be next if they still keep the idea of dominance.

Maybe Tang ends because of economic reasons, land accumulation and loosely control of marginal area. For example, Tang defeated Japan in Korean war I, but it didn't put political suppress or economical punishment to Japan. In this case, China didn't gain any benefits from the Korean war and Japan didn't pay its real cost of invading Korea except its army and navy death.
I hold opposite opinion of yours, Tang started too few external wars, not too many, this strategy diminished its influences over the whole area, compared to Han dynasty.

When a country has absolutely power to punch its counterpart, war won't bring serious results.

Another prior aspect I analyse, most Chinese dynasty indeed sacrifice super power's rights when living together with neighboring nations. For example, China historically help Vietnam to solve their dozen time internal farmer revolution, but China pay the war ourselves. It's Vietnamese affair, but Chinese pay for weapon, food, transportation, lives, everything. And Tributary Trade System with most Asian nations. It's a huge burden to China. It likes we use silver to exchange earth, it's not trade, but China synchronously didn't require plus political or geopolitical benefits.

Back
Top Bottom