What's new

High-powered laser-based weapons for Arjun Mk-II

TATA

BANNED
Reaction score
High-powered laser-based weapons for Arjun Mk-II

New Delhi, May 23 (PTI) Looking to strengthen its armoured capabilities, the Indian Army wants its futuristic Main Battle Tank to be equipped with high-powered lasers for taking on enemy rockets, aircraft and electro-optical sensors.

"High/medium-energy level laser is expected to be a lethality option against rockets, air vehicles, light ground vehicles, antennas of armoured vehicles and electro-optical sensors," the Army stated in its long-term technology plans submitted to the Defence Ministry.

Officials said concerned DRDO labs are already working in this direction and developing the capability.

They added that these capabilities might be deployed on the Arjun Mk-II project, which was recently cleared by the Defence Ministry after the Army decided to place orders for another 124 Arjun MBTs with the DRDO.

fullstory

No f***ing way ,

I checked for this on PIB and found nothing.

And even if it is true, Indian high powered lasers for field ops are at least(with no delays) , 10 years away.

In which case this is just another BS reason to keep the Arjun-mkII out of the armed forces , because there in no way DRDO can get some fancy dance laser system for the tank in 3-5 years. Just another lame army attempt to say why the Arjun is no good. I can see the BS analysts , criticizing the tank for a lack of High powered lasers. WTF

This is supreme BS.

^^^
what abt PTI

fullstory

Army wants laser-based weapons on its futuristic tanks

New Delhi, May 23 (PTI) Looking to strengthen its armoured capabilities, the Indian Army wants its futuristic Main Battle Tank to be equipped with high-powered lasers for taking on enemy rockets, aircraft and electro-optical sensors.

"High/medium-energy level laser is expected to be a lethality option against rockets, air vehicles, light ground vehicles, antennas of armoured vehicles and electro-optical sensors," the Army stated in its long-term technology plans submitted to the Defence Ministry.

Officials said concerned DRDO labs are already working in this direction and developing the capability.

They added that these capabilities might be deployed on the Arjun Mk-II project, which was recently cleared by the Defence Ministry after the Army decided to place orders for another 124 Arjun MBTs with the DRDO

^^^^^

even if true, sir

DRDO did not make any claim.

But it was the Army making a BS requirement to keep the state of the art Arjun Mk-II tank out of the armed forces.

Its an attempt to pit the odds against the Arjun mkII.

next thing you know,

They will call the Non-explosive reactive armor (NERA) Honey comb kachan armour(in development). Obsolete

and place a requirement for Electric reactive armour.

This is complete BS.

impossible requirements , once again.
This is the same as demanding all of the Arjuns current features and then criticiseing the weight

Arjun MK2 will be equipped by DRDO APS , DRDO has been constantly working on it, This might be a part of it...

This system should have the following main components.

· Multi role radar to continuously scan the entire protected sector.

· A highly directional, super quick action defensive ammunition to engage and destroy the attacking missiles and grenade;

· Control equipment built around a dedicated computer for automatic control of the operation of the radar and system as whole, as well as for monitoring the service ability of the system and its components.

· The commanders control panel, the command conversion unit for the engagement sequence, Mounts for ammunition arranged all round the tanks turret to ensure perimeter protection.

The critical technologies involved that requires research are:

· Miniaturized MMW radar

· Sensor Fusion

· Quick Reaction Kill

^^^^^

even if true, sir

But it was the Army making a BS requirement to keep the state of the art Arjun Mk-II tank out of the armed forces.

next thing you know,

They will call the Non-explosive reactive armor (NERA) Honey comb kachan armour(in development). Obsolete

This is complete BS.

This is the same as demanding all of the Arjuns current features and then criticiseing the weight

Lets decide that when Arjunmk2 does show up...
as for DRDO with the new reorganization am placing my hopes on them.

edit: gogbot...don't be so f**kin negative..I don't mind a realistic scenario as even i feel its kinda hard...

^^^^^

even if true, sir

next thing you know,

This is complete BS.

Buddy..its probably a good sign that atleast IA is asking for a few hings which they would want to see in a FMBT..dunno bt since the time T-95 project has been scarpped,we are haering a lot many things about the futuristic Arjun..MOD has given the go ahead with the money..May be DRDO labs are working on a few things which are currently not in the public domain..
also very less chances of this LASER system being integrated in coming Arjun mk2..may be Arjun mk3 will be our FMBT..tech coming from DRDO.RUSSIA & ISREAL:rolleyes:

^^^^^

even if true, sir

next thing you know,

This is complete BS.

Cool down dude. DRDO working on hard kill laser technologies for years. I think without DRDO's go ahead the Army did not put such criteria. DRDO chief Dr. Saraswat mentioned about it. He said that DRDO's LASTEC working on such systems for missile defence like airborne laser ...... I can't remember it in details. But such system for Arjun is a new info though.

Cool down dude. DRDO working on hard kill laser technologies for years. I think without DRDO's go ahead the Army did not put such criteria. DRDO chief Dr. Saraswat mentioned about it. He said that DRDO's LASTEC working on such systems for missile defence like airborne laser ...... I can't remember it in details. But such system for Arjun is a new info though.

I agree with Gogbot here, there have been many instances in the past where DRDO has over-exaggerated its capabilities and made a laughing stock of itself. This, maybe simply another one of those instances.

Lets decide that when Arjunmk2 does show up...
as for DRDO with the new reorganization am placing my hopes on them.

edit: gogbot...don't be so f**kin negative..I don't mind a realistic scenario as even i feel its kinda hard...

Buddy..its probably a good sign that atleast IA is asking for a few hings which they would want to see in a FMBT..dunno bt since the time T-95 project has been scarpped,we are haering a lot many things about the futuristic Arjun..MOD has given the go ahead with the money..May be DRDO labs are working on a few things which are currently not in the public domain..
also very less chances of this LASER system being integrated in coming Arjun mk2..may be Arjun mk3 will be our FMBT..tech coming from DRDO.RUSSIA & ISREAL:rolleyes:

There has been enough heartbreak and dubious decisions when it came to inducting the Arjun.

We need to look at everything and read between the lines.

While i know it may be hard to accept.

Until and after the Arjun is ordered in the 1000's , elements within the IA can once again undermine the tank.

Arjun Mk-II will be ready in 3-5 years , there is no way we will have high powered lasers in this time frame.

I fear this may be an attempt to undermine the Arjun Mk-II.
Much in the same way the mk-I was .

Don't for one reason believe that the IA has accepted the tank,
It still faces staunch resistance.

Notice how they constantly talk about MK-II and FMBT.
Always diverting the issue , saying a new tank has to be developed.

Accepting the Arjun , Mk-II and FMBT would mean closing the door on major India tank imports , there are significant forces that would do anything to stop that.

Despite their best attempted to bury the Arjun it has managed to succeed , if not in number orders , at least showing the defence ministry that DRDO can make fine tanks.
While this may have paved the way for Future products , the future of these tanks is still not guaranteed.

Only large scale orders of the Arjun will do that. At lest in the 500 range.

Till then all that has been accomplished with the Arjun is that DRDO has gone form fighting an uphill battle with the IA to slightly more even one.

Last edited:
中华人民共和国;876097 said:
I agree with Gogbot here, there have been many instances in the past where DRDO has over-exaggerated its capabilities and made a laughing stock of itself. This, maybe simply another one of those instances.

DRDO is not making any claim ,but it is IA making an impossible requirement for the time frame.

DRDO themselves have said that weaponization of such lasers is 10-20 years away.

Ha, has anybody played C&C: Generals? Reminds me of the Paladin tank....

中华人民共和国;876097 said:

lol DRDO doesn't develop super-secret show off weapons like some countries. :lol:

Before posting your BS, name a system that made you laugh. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom