What's new

HESA Fighter Kowsar Program - Current and Next Generation

to be fair it happened when experienced pilots used f-5 as an aggressor against newer generation pilots with far less experience

Not exactly. I posted the link in IRIAF section, separated squadrons of F-5N went head to head against F-14A and F-15 and the majority of the times F-5 tormented them both in the WVR combat. The author said that F-14/15 pilots felt depression because of this torment until they figured out the weakness of F-5E which was the turning rate. That was F-5E of 1980s with no BVR option, no HMD, no all aspect HOBS weapons.

This airframe has an exceptional roll rate of 2 per second (faster than majority of 4th generation fighters) and from there it can change its directions into attacking positions very quickly. It will lose energy in turning rates though because of low thurst. A problem that got solved in F-5G/F-20/YF-17 or may probably be solved in Kowsar-II.

These are the words of an experienced American fighter pilot Francesco "Paco" Chierici who has flown F-14A/D, F-15, F-16, F-5E/N, F/A-18, A-4, A-6.

"The F-5 is being turned into a massive threat plane with a legitimate sting. The newest upgrades include an AESA radar, good RWR gear, chaff and flares, a jamming pod, and a helmet mounted cueing system for a high off-boresight IR (infrared-guided) missiles.
A Tiger so outfitted can provide Super Hornets and F-35s a legitimate threat.

The underlined parts are literally what Kowsar-I already is with FBW, long-range BVR-Track radar, RWR/MAWS/Chaff/Flares, ECM/ECCM with choice of Allaspect IR homer (Fatter) slaved to IEI-HMD. Kowsar-II will be even more better. He thinks such a platform can take out F/A-18 and F-35 in WVR aerial combat and we are producing some 7-10 units of such aircraft inside IRAN with ZERO outside dependence. This is the beginning.

I am more interested in knowing what physical performance enhancement Saeqegh-I/II had over F-5E/F. We had a long discussion on IMF once and the conclusion was faster yawing and pitching.

I higly advise just hit ignore button, this forum is slowly became like therapy for idiots and psychopaths...

I like to play with trolls to a certain extent.

Nice to see you here though. Thoughts on the topic?

Not exactly. I posted the link in IRIAF section, separated squadrons of F-5N went head to head against F-14A and F-15 and the majority of the times F-5 tormented them both in the WVR combat. The author said that F-14/15 pilots felt depression because of this torment until they figured out the weakness of F-5E which was the turning rate. That was F-5E of 1980s with no BVR option, no HMD, no all aspect HOBS weapons.

This airframe has an exceptional roll rate of 2 per second (faster than majority of 4th generation fighters) and from there it can change its directions into attacking positions very quickly. It will lose energy in turning rates though because of low thurst. A problem that got solved in F-5G/F-20/YF-17 or may probably be solved in Kowsar-II.

These are the words of an experienced American fighter pilot Francesco "Paco" Chierici who has flown F-14A/D, F-15, F-16, F-5E/N, F/A-18, A-4, A-6.

"The F-5 is being turned into a massive threat plane with a legitimate sting. The newest upgrades include an AESA radar, good RWR gear, chaff and flares, a jamming pod, and a helmet mounted cueing system for a high off-boresight IR (infrared-guided) missiles.
A Tiger so outfitted can provide Super Hornets and F-35s a legitimate threat.

The underlined parts are literally what Kowsar-I already is with FBW, long-range BVR-Track radar, RWR/MAWS/Chaff/Flares, ECM/ECCM with choice of Allaspect IR homer (Fatter) slaved to IEI-HMD. Kowsar-II will be even more better. He thinks such a platform can take out F/A-18 and F-35 in WVR aerial combat and we are producing some 7-10 units of such aircraft inside IRAN with ZERO outside dependence. This is the beginning.

I am more interested in knowing what physical performance enhancement Saeqegh-I/II had over F-5E/F. We had a long discussion on IMF once and the conclusion was faster yawing and pitching.
On the turn rate, I remembered something that Yaghoot a former IRIAF F5 pilot in the 1990s stated many years ago in another forum that agility of the aircraft was remarkable but he also stated that F-5 pilots during the sacred defense did have a little trouble with baathist fulcrums in that they too were very agile but the F-5s were good enough to keep them away.

On the turn rate, I remembered something that Yaghoot a former IRIAF F5 pilot in the 1990s stated many years ago in another forum that agility of the aircraft was remarkable but he also stated that F-5 pilots during the sacred defense did have a little trouble with baathist fulcrums in that they too were very agile but the F-5s were good enough to keep them away.

Everyone states the same, US aviators/test pilots as I posted above told that nothing beats a tiger in roll and pitch which gets it into the attack position quickly. But because of its lower thrust, the aircraft keeps losing energy in turns which is why F-20 had a larger Turbofan.

Higher Thrust in Kowsar-II is a must. With following

AESA
HOTAS
HMD slaved HOBS
low RCS (< 0.5 m2) by frontal Radom modification+RAMs
Rest of the avionics and layout of Kowsar-I

Kowsar-II will be something. 200-250 of these can secure the Iranian skies.

According to General Afshin Khajehfard, the Kowsar fighter has a datalink with a central network which enables it to exchange coordinates with MALE UCAV fleet, AD Batteries and other fighters.

1656180831254.png

1656180870189.png

1656180773556.png

1656180926845.png

1656180965573.png

1656180619705.png

1656180711609.png

F-5 is one of the best looking aircraft of all time, is there any plans in Iran to develop a derivative of F-5 in the lines of F-20?

minus the F404, Kowsar itself is an F-20 equivalent.

Yes, I'm sure it has modern avionics and radar. But shoudn't the presence of a single engine variant decrease the maintenance cost and turn around time?

Yes, I'm sure it has modern avionics and radar. But shoudn't the presence of a single engine variant decrease the maintenance cost and turn around time?

Its radar, Nav-Comm, avionics, e-warfare package, and FBW system rival any 4.0 generation light combat fighter (see the first page for information).

We only have a local turbojet called OWJ J90 as of now that can power a fighter. It's a modernized copy of the J-85 that powers Kowsar and a version on Yasin (a jet trainer).

Our largest most sophisticated single-crystal turbofan as of yet is called Jahesh-700 which is FJ-33 equivalent. It probably will morph into FJ-44-4A with an afterburner that can power Kowsar-II, the next generation. If the radar gets enhanced to AESA standards (like Grifo-E) then that fighter will be a proper 4+ gen.

According to General Afshin Khajehfard, the Kowsar fighter has a datalink with a central network which enables it to exchange coordinates with MALE UCAV fleet, AD Batteries and other fighters.

View attachment 856733
View attachment 856734
View attachment 856732
View attachment 856735
View attachment 856736

View attachment 856730
View attachment 856731

I had mentioned it last year Drone links, Kowsar. If I am the reasoning of the announcement of the past year 1 years after the presentation of the Kowsar 1 of Generation 4, I suspect that in the back scene, the single -seater version is more evolving than the double cockpit version. Future announcements may be exciting

I had mentioned it last year Drone links, Kowsar. If I am the reasoning of the announcement of the past year 1 years after the presentation of the Kowsar 1 of Generation 4, I suspect that in the back scene, the single -seater version is more evolving than the double cockpit version. Future announcements may be exciting

- Gen. Afshid Khajehfard himself confirmed this like 1+ years ago. He talked about datalink with the central GWACS network and UCAVs.

- Key-aero article mentions F-14 AM + Kowsar-I operating with datalinks with GWACS- AD batteries.

- Key-aero also mentions that Kowsar-I and F-14 AM use MIL-STD-1553 architecture.

- This points out to the IRIAF intention of putting F-14AM, Kowsar-I, MIG-29 9.12 in focus while the rest aircraft are to be sent to museums.

- Gen. Afshid Khajehfard himself confirmed this like 1+ years ago. He talked about datalink with the central GWACS network and UCAVs.

- Key-aero article mentions F-14 AM + Kowsar-I operating with datalinks with GWACS- AD batteries.

- Key-aero also mentions that Kowsar-I and F-14 AM use MIL-STD-1553 architecture.

- This points out to the IRIAF intention of putting F-14AM, Kowsar-I, MIG-29 9.12 in focus while the rest aircraft are to be sent to museums.
that will have one problem, we won't have any other bomber then.
and airforce still don't have drone that can carry heavy bombs , the heaviest is mk-82 carried by karrar.
right now we must keep F-4 and Su-24 fleet operational, but must retire the circus airplanes airforce operate , and i believe after kowsar-2 we can retire mig-29s and after we build our own AWACS and introduction of kowsar 2 , F-14 must be retired.

Back
Top Bottom