What's new

has anyone met any vetrans from the kargil war? and heard from there experiences?

My dad served in the War of Kargil. Back when I was born in 99, my dad was over at Kashmir. He often tells me a really great story of his. Well, he was in artillery and he was the 2IC of his unit, back then, he was a major. There was some Pakistani post (I don't remember where) somewhere. At night a group of 12 Indian Black Cats invaded the post and killed all the soldiers. My dad's post was the nearest to that post, The commander of that post called my dad and asked him to please do whatever he could. Now in order to do something, my dad needed permission from the unit commander who was at the central command at murree, but their reply could take a lot of time, even a day, and by then the indian troops could infiltrate much deeper. Now my dad had to make a choice here. He decided to attack them with everything he had. So he just gave the jawans the orders and the jawans fired several mortars (I think) on the post. It was nighttime. When the jawans stopped firing, it was almost morning. He left to see the post for himself on his jeep (which was not very far away). When he reached the post, he was amazed to see that by the grace of Allah, all 12 of the indian black cats had died. Later that day, The brigadier, who was incharge came to see my dad. My dad did not know what to expect. He could either be very proud( For him killing all those 12 black cats) or either be very angry for not following orders. Well, when he met my dad, he was extremely happy. He even met every single jawan and praised them for their bravery , Then he went and sow every single artillery gun, and hugged it.
Several days later Even Kiyani (who later became COAS) met my dad and his commander.

I realize this is an old thread, but I have to point out that black cats (NSG) do not fight wars. They are a CT/HR unit of the home ministry.

Although in the end we did not succeed, because of Nawaz Sharif, still Kargil was a great achievement for us. The way we infiltrated so deep in Indian territory without them even noticing and they only noticed when we opened fire on them.

Because there was a mutual agreement to vacate those areas in winter. Pakistan perfidiously broke that agreement, and precipitated the war. They did not achieve anything, and it will not happen again.

Our soldiers admire their 155mm bofors firepower it was well directed, they say at times first shell missed the post but 2nd definitely hits it therefore they spread out to fight but after that they shelled whole area with 155mms and it was devastating firepower and our soldiers fight in that environment with bravery and still kept some key posts which IA wanted.

There is a reason India wanted to induct M777s and PA inducted Panters and SH-1s, they are very effective piece of hardware in well trained hands.

I've been told this as well, that Bofors is what turned the tide of battle for India on the ground. I don't know the details, like why Pakistanis would not have anticipated that.

I had met a veteran who had lost his left foot in operation Parakram, he had very foul words for Indian politicians.

Not only i have met those men, but i have been up there too. Meanwhile you get your thoughts articulated on what and why to ask, i'll suggest you go through this: The Saf Shikan. or Xeric's Primer: We Don’t Seek Benevolence, But Don’t Malign us Either – Part II (Saf Shikan)
Were you part of the PA at that time, and involved the war? If so, could you please explain the rationale for the war, from the POV of an officer on the field? I mean, I have heard endless debates of Musharaff v/sNawaz and so on, but what was in the minds of the mid ranking officers when they infiltrated? What did they hope to achieve? Was there a larger plan in mind?

I had a discussion with one soldier involved in Kargil operation. He told that thwy climbed to one peak in night and hid behind the stones during the day time and pakistani soldiers could not locate them till evening. In evening, they got an idea of Indian presence and firing started. They captured the peak after fierce gun battle.

Two from my family and one who is a very close family friend. My uncle who was an AA pilot would say that the helicopter would get "caked" in blood ferrying the wounded back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom