What's new

Hamid Mir Attacked | TTP Claims Responsibility

:) Musharraf gave us open media.

And i firmly believe that an open media exposes the culprits from within itself as well :) SO

YES open media is more welcomed

yes open and responsible media is more welcome

TTP is no friend of India or Pakistan. They are fighting the establishment to usurp power. They will go after who ever is against their ideology.

Now that the Americans and Nato are leaving Afghanistan, they will turn their attention towards Islamabad.

You better start growing your beard and comply to their sharia laws.:D

i'm shaking it here boss...!

And i firmly believe that an open media exposes the culprits from within itself as well :) SO

I agree, sunshine is the best disinfectant.

ya and then again the people from the Land of the free demand the head of Edward Snowden, Julian Assange and Corporal Manning is left to rot for life for speaking up?

never mind that .. the issue is misreporting, no problem with free reporting here.. people provided live coverage and mixed up falugah footage with red mosque operation in the name of freedom and see what it done

I was pointing at the same thing where Hamid Mir was busy blaming army in Sawat for damage to the property when in the same place the taliban had beheaded the local cleric for asking them not to rig the place with IEDs and let the civilians escape first

whats wrong with stating the facts ? is that not good enough?

Those three cases have no bearing on the freedom of the Press, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make here?

You are correct that factual reporting is important. But censorship is never the answer.

3 bullets don't add up mr

Now they claims is taken by TTP i am sure now ISI have done it. no one can deny the relations of ISI and TTP
Because investigation will stop now and the real criminal under the umbrella of ISI will escape
I give my Salam to the ISI members who is working day and night for this country and Lanat on those who is working for personal benefits
ary bhai ISI ka operation hota to hamid meer ka b wohi haal hona tha jo RAW ka agent ka hua tha grow up kid ISI shooters are not that lame and inexperience

Those three cases have no bearing on the freedom of the Press, so I am not sure what point you are trying to make here?

You are correct that factual reporting is important. But censorship is never the answer.
if not why then in america its happening why not they are practicing the fredom of speech?
US Holds Off on Suit Against Bin Laden Raid Book | Military.com

US Holds Off on Suit Against Bin Laden Raid Book
042912-newspapers-ts412.jpg

Aug 31, 2012
Military.com | by Richard Sisk
The federal government chose to hold off on going to court Friday to block publication of a former Navy SEAL's first-hand account of the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden in the book "No Easy Day."

Pentagon officials said that consultations were underway with the Justice Department on a possible civil suit against the author of "No Easy Day" and his publisher, Penguin Group (USA)'s Dutton imprint.

"We're reviewing our options on this matter," said George Little, the Pentagon's chief spokesman. "We may in fact take action."

Little acknowledged the government could face a public relations disaster in prosecuting a decorated combat veteran who participated in "one of the greatest military and intelligence successes in our history."

Defense Department lawyers had obtained a copy of the book and had yet to determine whether any classified information was disclosed, Little said.

The author, who has been identified by multiple reports as Matt Bissonnette, had clearly violated two non-disclosure agreements he signed in 2007 to submit any book he might write to pre-publication review by the military, Little said.

In the book, the author, who writes under the pseudonym Mark Owen, gave grisly details on Bin Laden's death after he was shot in the head by a SEAL coming up the stairs in the Saudi terrorist's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

"Blood and brains spilled out of the side of his skull," wrote Bissonnette. Bin Laden fell back onto a bedroom floor, his body twitching in death throes. Bissonnette wrote that he and other SEALs fired into his torso to make sure he was dead.

Bissonnette documented the killing.

"It was surreal trying to clean blood off the most wanted man in the world so that I could shoot his photo," he wrote.

Bissonnette said in the book that he and the other SEALs on the raid had a general disdain for President Obama but approved of Obama's handling of the announcement of Bin Laden's death.

In an appearance scheduled for the CBS' new show 60 Minutes that will air Sunday night, Bissonnette denied having any political motives for writing the book.

"My worry from the beginning is, you know, it's a political season. This book is not political whatsoever," Bissonnette said in an excerpt released by CBS. "You know, if these -- crazies on either side of the aisle want to make it political, shame on them. This is a book about Sept. 11, and it needs to rest on Sept. 11. Not be brought into the political arena, because this -- this has nothing to do with politics."

Jeh Johnson, the Defense Department's general counsel, wrote to a letter Thursday to Bissonnette's pseudonym, Mark Owen, warning that the government "is considering pursuing against you and all those acting in concert with you, all remedies legally available to us in light of this situation."

In response, Bissonnette's lawyer, Robert D. Luskin of the law firm Patton Boggs, wrote back Friday to Johnson that the author had "sought legal advice about his responsibilities before agreeing to publish his book and scrupulously reviewed the work to ensure that it did not disclose any material that would breach his agreements or put his former comrades at risk. He remains confident that he has faithfully fulfilled his duty."

Recent legal precedents take issue with Luskin's position. Last year, U.S. District Court judge Gerald Lee ruled that Ishmael Jones, a pseudonym for a former CIA field operative, had violated the law by not properly going through CIA's pre-publication review process for the book "The Human Factor: Inside the CIA's Dysfunctional Intelligence Culture."

The government won the case but did not seek to recover the profits or royalties, since Jones had already given them to charity.

The government also won in the 2010 non-disclosure agreement case against former Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer for the book "Operation Dark Heart," an account of his stint in the Defense Intelligence Agency. In that case, the government bought up and burned 9,500 copies of the first run of the book to keep it out of the public's hands. That tactic might not be available in the matter of "No Easy Day."

Penguin has already moved up the publication date to next week and has greatly increased the number of copies in the first run, thereby increasing the cost to the government of any move to buy up the books, said Stephen Aftergood, director of the Project on Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists.

"The publisher has raised the stakes here," Aftergood said. "But when the government challenges in these cases, the government usually wins."

In the case of "No Easy Day," Aftergood said the government "has to consider not only the awkward features of proceeding against a decorated combat veteran – they also have to consider the consequences of not proceeding. Will they be weakening the whole non-disclosure policy?"

Although a civil suit against Bissonnette and Penguin was most likely, Adm. William McRaven, head of U.S. Special Operations Command, held out the possibility of a criminal prosecution.

In a letter last week to his commanders, McRaven, who planned the Bin Laden raid, wrote: "If the U.S Special Operations Command finds that an active-duty, retired or former service member violated that agreement and that exposure of information was detrimental to the safety of U.S. forces, then we will pursue every option available to hold members accountable, including criminal prosecution where appropriate."

Bissonnette professed to be unconcerned. He wrote in the book that "Since May 1, 2011, everyone from President Obama to Adm. McRaven has given interviews about the operation. If my commander-in-chief is willing to talk, then I feel comfortable doing the same."

© Copyright 2014 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistribute

go find, freedom of journalism in america frist, then come & teach us?
dreamboy of damocrazy?

yes that was his biggest mistakes, in his mind he created a lot of job opportunities, & attracted a huge investments, in the end all used against him, & giving birth to the conspirated croupted damocrazy, to divide futher the pakistani nation, & to dismentle its nuclear assests?

Last edited:
i

yes that was his biggest mistakes, in his mind he created a lot of job opportunities, & attracted a huge investments, in the end all used against him, & giving birth to the conspirated croupted damocrazy, to divide futher the pakistani nation, & to dismentle its nuclear assests?

No i think it was NOT a mistake.

irrespective of certain sections' hate for Musharraf, one thing is a fact that he is a man who opened up media despite knowing it will be used against him.

I am sorry to break it to you, our establishment is patron to LeJ, so is pmln/ppp and now mqm has joined the ranks as well.
I fail to see how ISI would be a patron of LeJ that has killed its operatives in Punjab and tribal areas, executed 2 generals and other officers and their children in single mosque attack in Pindi? this very "establishment" has lost 4 generals along with other officers including brigadiers, colonels , majors and below to TTP and their LeJ affiliates. I dont get it why an organisation will continue to support a group that is a mortal enemy of its entire organisation? (if LeJ was only killing lower ranking officers and soldiers then I would have understood, but thats not the case here.

very confusing situation we got here. but lets continue this debate in another thread
we got us a journalist who leads the table with his anti Pakistan military rants and his channel has opened the campaign even before the details of the attacks came out as if the story was prepared and ready to air at the allotted time?

why not PTI takes a lead and propose a committee of Parliamentary members from across the house that lead the investigation from any angle that is missed out or takes too long by the judicial commission?

why not rest this case once and for all to prove beyond doubt that ISI is involved in the killing of these journalists?
and not rest on some half arsed statements?

Those three cases have no bearing on the freedom of the Press, so I am not

The key word to hammer it home if I may is

Freeedom of Speech ;)
and our right to know the facts,
there is another thing for you. in these modern times, the traditional media organisations have become the second source of information and the public/ social media is a new buzz word in the town

my apologies for the lack of examples but I must say, Iranian run news channels are banned in the west and the Russian run are not banned but are frowned upon while in the same instance we in the third world are preached day and night about freedom of press and all that.

The key word to hammer it home if I may is

Freeedom of Speech ;)
and our right to know the facts, there is another thing for you. in these modern times, the traditional media organisations have become the second source of information and the public/ social media is a new buzz word in the town
my apologies for the lack of examples but I must say, Iranian run news channels are banned in the west and the Russian run are not banned but are frowned upon while in the same instance we in the third world are preached day and night about freedom of press and all that.

You are correct that it is a changed world out there in terms of transmission of information. It is up to the end users to determine what sources to rely upon, but censorship in never the answer. The Internet makes all bans useless, even Iranian channels are watched here easily. There is no ban.

Pffft i can influence more than a few channels. It's just big media houses are a tough cookie to crack, the smaller one are easy peasy. Just need to know which line to take and what info you need to dangle.

194.gif

Decent troll.

Bismillah

hence proved my point!

Last edited:
but censorship in never the answer. There is no ban.

VCheng Saab, where did I propose a ban and censorship? I agree that censorship is not the perfect solution but in extreme cases it can help contain the problem or a bigger tragedy.

let me give you true example.

our media (free & unbound) chose to use the brunt out Iraqi corpses from Faluja operation and claimed that they were the Lal Masjid victims of Pakistan army "bombardment". the news claims included the use of white phosphorus by the forces and guess what... even the next door neighbours of the mosque decided to believe these stories. there was no ban done but these malicous and shameless lies did their damage.

your's truly was by chance in F-6 markaz called "super" in Islamabad at the time when the Lal Masjid started firing at the rangers and from that point I followed the entire operation. I assume that you know what is the footprint of a white phosphorus bomb and its area of effect... but people didnt care to check and since the building was in flames they decided that it was the same whie phosphorus used by Israelis and Americans earlier in the middle east.

what I am on about?

please tell me how to deal with someone who is spreading rumours, misinformation with malicious intent and causing distress and anxiety among the public? why authorities in the west keep the information from public and seek the loved ones first and brief them about the tragedy? and why in Pakistan you and I find out through the 3rd parties and media when they are showing your loved ones being mowed down by terrorists between the mobile phone deals by Zong?

still with me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom