What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Month Before IOC, MoD's Tejas Update In Parliament

lca111.JPG

One permanent fixture in all reports by the Indian Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence is the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA Tejas) programme. And exactly month before the programme achieves initial operational clearance on January 10, the panel's latest report was released, containing the following updated account of the Tejas programme so far. Much of it is the same, but with the level of interest in the programme, especially now, there are several new bits scattered around this update. Here it is in full:

The programme of indigenous development of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) had been initiated in August‟ 1983 with the Government sanction of an interim development cost of Rs 560.00 Cr. This sanction was to initiate the programme and carry out Project Definition Phase (PDP). After completing the PDP, the report was submitted to Government and proposal to build 07 prototypes was made. The Government of India split the programme into Technical Development Phase and Operational Vehicle Development Phase. The Full Scale Engineering Development Programme Phase-I (LCA FSED Phase-I) was sanctioned in April‟1993 at a cost of Rs 2188 Cr (including the interim sanction of Rs 560 Cr given in 1983). The scope of FSED Phase-I was to demonstrate the technologies so that a decision could be taken to build operational proto-vehicles at a later stage. LCA FSED Phase-I was completed on 31 Mar 2004. While Phase-I programme was in progress, the Government decided to concurrently go ahead with the build of operational proto vehicles. The scope of FSED Phase-2 was to build three prototypes of operational aircrafts including a trainer and also to build the infrastructure required for producing 08 aircrafts per year and build eight Limited Series Production (LSP) aircrafts. Government sanctioned FSED Phase-II of the programme at a total cost of Rs 3301.78 Cr on 20 Nov‟2001. The Phase-II programme has been split into two phases namely, Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) and Final Operational Clearance (FOC). Standard of
preparation of operational aircraft was finalized in 2004 with changes in weapons, sensors and avionics to meet the IAF requirements and overcome obsolescence. (Original design was made in 1990s). This contributes to additional time and revised cost for Phase-II.

Governing body of ADA in its 41st meeting held on 22 Nov 2007 had detail review of the Programme and deliberated on achievements vis-à-vis objectives of LCA FSED Phase-II programme and recommended the extension of FSED Phase-II likely date of completion till 31 Dec 2012 (IOC by Dec 2010 & FOC by Dec 2012) with GE-F404-IN20 Engine and to develop & productionise the Mark 2 variant of Tejas aircraft and also recommended the constitution of Cost Revision Committee to assess additional requirement of funds. The need for extension of PDC for LCA FSED Phase-II was due to:

(a) Complexity of the system desgn and very high safety standards lead to extensive testing to ensure flight safety.

(b) Incorporating the configuration changes (for example R60 close Combat Missile (CCM) was replaced by R73E CCM which required design modifications) to keep the aircraft contemporary|

(c) Due to non-availability of indigenous „Kaveri Engine‟ design changes were carried out to accommodate GE404 engine of USA.

(d) Change in the development strategy of Radar and associated changes on the aircraft.

(e) Major development activity of Avionics was undertaken in order to make aircraft contemporary, which took time but yielded results (for example, development of obsolescence free open architecture avionics system).

(f) US sanctions imposed in 1998 also led to delay in importing certain items and developing alternate equipment, since vendors identification and development to production cycle took time.

The need for revision of FSED Phase-II fund sanction was mainly due to:

(a) To neutralize the effect of inflation/delivery point cost against the sanctioned level at 2001 and the increase in manpower cost of HAL.

(b) To meet the programme management expenditure due to extended time line till Dec 2012

(c) Maintain and operate 10-15 aircraft for four years upto 2012

(d) To maintain & upgrade the design, development and test facilities upto 2012, in keeping with modern technology

(e) To complete the activities which were not costed in the original estimates.

Cost Revision Committee after careful consideration of the projections made and taking into account the increase in the cost of material, manpower, additional activities to complete the IOC & FOC, maintenance of facilities and expanded scope of the programme etc., recommended additional fund of Rs 2475.78 Cr for completing FSED Phase-II activities with PDC Dec 2012, Rs 2431.55 Cr for developing Tejas Mark 2 with alternate engine (LCA FSED Phase-III Programme) and Rs 395.65 Cr for Technology Development Programme (Total additional funds of Rs 5302.98 Cr). Recommendations of the Cost Revision Committee was accepted by Government and in November 2009, sanction was accorded for continuing Full Scale Engineering Development of LCA till Dec 2018 with an additional cost of Rs 5302.98 Cr.

LCA (Tejas) Programme is progressing satisfactorily as per schedule mutually agreed with IAF to meet their requirements. Flight Test phase on nine Tejas aircrafts to obtain IOC for Tejas, which is mandatory for induction of Tejas into IAF is in advanced stage. Establishment of Tejas production facilities for the production rate of eight aircrafts per annum is progressing concurrently with development activities. On 31 Mar 2006, IAF has executed the contract with HAL for production of 20 Tejas aircraft (series production) powered by GE-F404-IN20 engines in IOC configuration and production activities are in progress. Follow on order of another 20 aircraft is in an advanced stage of negotiation between IAF and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

The issue of Kaveri engine has been delinked temporarily from Tejas Production Programme and use of Kaveri engine on Tejas will be considered after successful completion of mandatory development tests on engine. Initial batch of Tejas production aircraft (Tejas Mk-1) will be integrated with GE-F404-IN20 engines and will be inducted into IAF progressively from Jan 2011 onwards. Development of Tejas Mk-2 with alternate imported foreign engine (LCA FSED Phase-III) to improve aircraft performance has been launched concurrently with LCA FSED Phase-II programme.

In addition to the weekly reviews conducted at ADA and the Governing Body & Annual General Body Meetings, the Honourable Raksha Mantri has set up Special Review Committees with the Chief of Air Staff reviewing the programme once every quarter and Deputy Chief of Air Staff reviewing every month to ensure that the objectives of Tejas Programme are achieved without any further cost and time overrun.

Livefist - Indian Defence & Aerospace: Month Before IOC, MoD's Tejas Update In Parliament

Are there any videos from the bomb, or fuel tank releases?

What after the LCA project?
The IAF is saying ‘Let us make a fifth generation aircraft, the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft’. The seed money has been given, and the IAF is working very closely with us to evolve the specifications so that the programme can start. Also, the Unmanned Aerial Combat Aircraft programme is coming up and money has already been given. That is a little more advanced than the AMCA because of its stealth characteristics.

What happen to the plans to develop unmanned versions of LCA?
It would better to gain from the experience of LCA MK1 / 2 development and further improve it to an unmanned MK3 version. We could combine it even with the AURA UCAV development to get a cost-effective interceptor and strike fighter, instead adding just another new manned fighter type with AMCA (we will already have LCA, MMRCA, MKI and FGFA).
Unmanned aircrafts are the future and could be build for less costs in higher numbers, which is an important point for us, when we have to counter the numerical advantage of PLAAF.

Last edited:
Are there any videos from the bomb, or fuel tank releases?

What happen to the plans to develop unmanned versions of LCA?
It would better to gain from the experience of LCA MK1 / 2 development and further improve it to an unmanned MK3 version. We could combine it even with the AURA UCAV development to get a cost-effective interceptor and strike fighter, instead adding just another new manned fighter type with AMCA (we will already have LCA, MMRCA, MKI and FGFA).
Unmanned aircrafts are the future and could be build for less costs in higher numbers, which is an important point for us, when we have to counter the numerical advantage of PLAAF.

Lets not get too much into the future,
Like i said current Tejas number for IAF and navy stands at 140-148 Aircraft in total ie 126 aircraft for Airforce and 22 for navy
This number was only orderd becoz MOD had guaranteed HAL that number , the IAF-navy accepted this order becoz Tejas though not something which they want, is still far more capable than the 270 odd Mig21/27 currently in service
For IAF to give a follow on order , HAL will have to build an MK3 variant which should be classified as a good aircraft in 2025 , considering the fact that fighters like Mig29 , Mirage 2000 , Su27/30 , F16 , F/A18 , will seize to be classified as advance fighters by 2025

Also looking at the fact that LCA MK2 will have Aesa Radar ,LCA MK3 SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING MORE TO ATTRACT IAF ATTENTION
According to me it should have something like the following
3D Thrust vectoring , Better Aesa Radar and Avionics than Mk2 , higher payload at 5000+ KG , 10 Hard Points , RCS <= 1 ,

It would better to gain from the experience of LCA MK1 / 2 development and further improve it to an unmanned MK3 version. We could combine it even with the AURA UCAV development to get a cost-effective interceptor

Whatever u say MK3 would not be unmanned aircraft , Do u know how much difficult it is to built UCAV that too one with supersonic speed and stealth something like X47B being build by USAF is also suffering delays so how can you assume that IAF will develop an unmanned Tejas
Its like some of the fan boys saying that they can develop a JF17XX stealth fighter
It is better that first we develop something like Predator before moving into unmanned territory
Even USAF hopes to field 6th gen fighter by 2040

For IAF to give a follow on order , HAL will have to build an MK3 variant which should be classified as a good aircraft in 2025 , considering the fact that fighters like Mig29 , Mirage 2000 , Su27/30 , F16 , F/A18 , will seize to be classified as advance fighters by 2025

It has not only to do with follow on orders, but also with the future potential of LCA! They are planed for a life cycle of 30 - 40 years and the development can't stop after MK2 is in service.
The next logical upgrade after MK2 are comparable changes that we see at F15SE, or the new F18SH upgrade. Which means, CFTs with internal weapon bays, or stealthy weapon pods, angled aiframe shapings for lower RCS...
LCA must be deadly way beyond 2020 even if it's not the most capable fighter in the fleet!

Consider the LCA MK3 with new airframe shapings, upgraded Kaveri - Snecma engine, similar wing missiles bays of Pak Fa / FGFA for SR missiles and a fuselage that can at least house 2 BVR missiles, which gives it enough fire power for it primery role, interception.

Are these changes more difficult then developing a complete new 5. gen AMCA?
And when we already start development of the AURA UCAV, why can't we use the same systems for an unmanned LCA version too?

I said it often before, developing an 5. gen fighter alone is totally out of reach for us at the moment, a stealthy UCAV will also be very difficult, but that's why it makes more sense, to base it on further upgrades of LCA, instead of 2 completely new 5. gen developments.

Sancho , this is what i said
also looking at the fact that LCA MK2 will have Aesa Radar ,LCA MK3 SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING MORE TO ATTRACT IAF ATTENTION
3D Thrust vectoring , Better Aesa Radar and Avionics than Mk2 , higher payload at 5000+ KG , 10 Hard Points , RCS <= 1 ,

Apart from the above , having CFT to increase the range beyond the current 2000 Km , add to that Internal weapon bay to house 2 BVR missiles ,and upgrades to airframe to reduce RCS below 1
I think we should take some inspiration from Typhoon , If u look at it ,then Eurofighter Typhoon has an RCS of less than 1 in clean Configuration

Sancho , this is what i said
also looking at the fact that LCA MK2 will have Aesa Radar ,LCA MK3 SHOULD HAVE SOMETHING MORE TO ATTRACT IAF ATTENTION

Apart from the above , having CFT to increase the range beyond the current 2000 Km , add to that Internal weapon bay to house 2 BVR missiles ,and upgrades to airframe to reduce RCS below 1
I think we should take some inspiration from Typhoon , If u look at it ,then Eurofighter Typhoon has an RCS of less than 1 in clean Configuration

First of all, I would expect the RCS of LCA in clean below 1 even now. Very small size, with a low profile, high ammount of composites, which means more RAM coatings can be added as well, ducted air intake..., and F16 B52 is often quoted at 1.2m² in clean. Most of the points you make will most likely added with MK2 and upgrades of radar and avionics are not a big deal. That's why I said, the next upgrade should aim more on stealth features, or shapings and probably on unmanned control.
Btw, I am not talking about making LCA to a real muti role stealth fighter, because I doubt that it will have the capacity to carry larger loads internally. But that is not important anyway, if we have FGFA and AURA UCAV, the important role for LCA will always be the interception role and that's why carrying at least 4 AAMs internally would be enough and would give it a very low RCS, because of no external loads.

From Tarmak007 blog.

10 YEARS OF LCA : The Forgotten Heroes!

kpta-koti.jpg

The man who flew LCA first Rajiv Kothiyal and the man who shaped the project and led it from the front for 17 years Dr Kota Harinaraya hold a metallic model of Tejas to mark the 10th anniversary of Tejas' first flight that falls on January 4, 2001. The Tejas duo, obliged a request from Tarmak007, for a quiet sit-down-chat to remember India's dream machine -- Tejas.

Dr Kota Harinarayana &#8211;- revered as the Father of India&#8217;s LCA program.

1.Antony played a key role in backing 2 projects:

All said and done, Mr Antony has to be given the credit for pushing LCA and Arjun programs.

He did it in a very subtle way because there was stiff opposition to both these national projects from within. But, he stood his ground and convinced everyone that we shall overcome all the hurdles. And, we did it. Additional orders for Arjun MBT after it outperformed the Russian T-90. And, now IOC for Tejas.

2.Tejas will become more Indian soon:

Today, engine, the INS and portions of radar are imported. The rest are all coming out of India &#8211; a result of our scientific and technological might. I am sure in near future, barring engine, everything else will be Indian.

3.The role of academics & industries: If the defense industry has to grow, then we must first have a mindset that we will buy only from India. This would give tremendous confidence to our industries. Today, the industry is showing great sparks and it must be fanned into a huge flame.

Academic institutions should be part of every new project. They would give us new ideas and they are our strength.

4.Ratan Tata saved the Tejas program:

I give a lot of credit to Mr Ratan Tata for the Tejas program. Not many know this story. To me, he was one among the few who saved this national project from closure. In 1990-91, I attended a LCA program review meeting in Delhi. Prior to this meeting, a high-level committee involving MPs had visited the facilities in Bangalore to see what progress we had made. I knew that the agenda of the meeting was to close the program. While some appreciated our work and commitment, they wanted it to be shut. But, Mr Ratan Tata completely backed us and said: &#8220;It will be a shame if the project is closed. I have seen the technology and I am convinced that the project will definitely see the light of the day. I want private industries to come up and play an active role in the Tejas program.&#8221; The rest is history.

5.We were a minority chasing a dream:

I must admit that 99/100 believed that LCA was a thrash and the aircraft will never come. Today, I am happy that we are about to enter a historic phase with IOC in sight.

6.We made LCA for the pilots:

We made the LCA for the Nation. But, we also made LCA for the pilots. For me, pilots are the real heroes. It is their lives we are putting into risk and hence the product has to be world-class. Rajiv Kothiyal is a great pilot. I have seen his commitment. Today, a dozen pilots have come after him and I am not undermining their contribution to the program. But, the first man is always special. In Koti&#8217;s case, I can say he literally risked his life. We would have flown LCA in 1999 or 2000, but kept on conducting various tests and high-speed trials again and again. Even, I was asked by many why we are not going for the first flight. Finally, after extensive flight trials, we had the maiden flight on January 4, 2001. George Fernandez was the Defense Minister then, and he told me the moment, Tejas took-off: &#8220;Kota, you might be a happy man now?&#8221; I replied: &#8220;No Sir. Not yet. I will be happy only when Koti lands.&#8221;

7.Navy backed us to the hilt from Day 1:
Indian Navy supported the project steadfast from Day-1. We don&#8217;t have any doubt about their commitment.:smitten:

8.The future of Tejas will be linked to its quality:

The aircraft must be produced to high quality standards. The future of Tejas will be directly linked to the high production standards being put in place by the agency involved. Absolute need to bring in product improvement block by block and the tooling plan must be for 20 aircraft per year. My real worry is that unless we produce the aircraft, we cannot make the project a success.

I don&#8217;t want them to remember me&#8230; Let people remember the good work we did. Let them hail the team. I don&#8217;t want anyone to remember me. I created a team, who believed in themselves and actually delivered the result. We created a team that not only made LCA, but also many future programs. Remember, I had to work with a group of people (not from my team), who believed I can&#8217;t deliver.
I have achieved nothing in life&#8230; but only Tejas: Dear&#8230; (as he would call everyone), we are all forgotten now (looking at Koti). May be, we have achieved nothing in life, but only Tejas! But I am happy that Tejas is getting IOC, finally. It is a historic day. Okay dear. When will I see what you write?

Salute to the great man!

When LCA is expected to finally start mass production and formal operational induction in the IAF?

When LCA is expected to finally start mass production and formal operational induction in the IAF?

THe series production on MK 1 will start after the delivery of LSP 8. The LSP 6 is going to be used for experimental purposes. The Series Production will be based on the LSP 5. Alll the LSP aircrafts will be delivered my march/April 2011. Series production will start at that time. After the delivery of 20 aircraft this year and 20 next year the FOC will be given in 2012 end.

Indeed great commitment by these men. Once you make the first, rest is easier.

Wg Cdr Rajiv Kothiyal,the first man who flew LCA.

I flew without a telemetry link during my maiden flight

I can&#8217;t forget that day. The ground telemetry had failed the moment I took-off. I was in touch with the ground station only via radio. Those at the ground telemetry, especially manning the flight control systems, avionics, and hydraulics had blank terminals in front of them till I landed.

&#8220;The telemetry link is broken,&#8221; I was told via radio. &#8220;Great!&#8221; I replied. I had to be extra alert while flying now. That made the maiden flight more memorable even today, as I had to fly without a telemetry link. There was some frequency interference from a nearby IT firm, which was sorted out during the subsequent flights.

When I received the prestigious Iven C. Kincheloe Award for the Best Test Pilot of the Year 2001, they had also taken this point into consideration. (Incidentally, Kothiyal is the only Test Pilot in India to win this award &#8211; often described as the Oscar for Test Pilots. He has in his company, the legendary Neil Armstrong.) January 4 will be always an emotional moment for me. It&#8217;s 10 years, now. Tejas is a great aircraft. Well, they say time flies. And for pilots like me, destination too matters, as much as the paths we crossed. I have to reach the airport by 4.30 pm and I am flying the Delhi sector today. Convey my regards to Tejas team. When is the IOC? On Jan. 10th you said, right? Cheers!

On a side note, as Mr. Krishnan from Tarmak pointed out, today is the anniversary of LCA's first flight, here are few pics and a video to commemorate that. (Source- Tarmak and youtube)

lca.jpg

LCA-TOI-Pg1-2000+(1).jpg

I got goosebumps watching this video!:mps:

January 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
05TH_ANTONY_336510f.jpg

Defence Minister A.K. Antony on Tuesday said a deal to buy 126 Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) would be signed with due diligence.

“Before a deal is signed, a lot of procedures have to be completed. The utmost care is exercised at each stage of finalising the contract. We will not do anything in a jiffy,” he told journalists after unveiling a plaque to mark the laying of the foundation stone here for the National Institute for Research and Development in Defence Shipbuilding (NIRDESH) under the Department of Defence Production.

Mr. Antony said the reported missing and recovery of a secret file on MMRCA was being investigated. ( Boeing's F/A-18, Lockheed Martin's F-16, Russian aircraft MiG-35, European consortium EADS' Eurofighter, French Rafale, and Swedish SAAB's Gripen competed in the MMRCA field trials conducted by the Air Force.)

On indigenisation and self-reliance in defence, the Minister said the Defence Production Policy and Defence Procurement Policy, to be released soon, would place extra emphasis on indigenisation.

“Currently, we are nowhere near attaining self-reliance. The NIRDESH is set up as a top-notch centre of excellence in the design and development of as many naval equipment and platforms as are possible within the country. We [the Defence Ministry] prefer procuring available equipment and materials made within the country, even from the private sector. But as of now import is inevitable.”

Sea pirates

Asked about his recent statement that sea pirates received support from “other elements,” Mr. Antony said they would not have been in a position to launch “orchestrated” strikes without the backing of “other forces.”

Were these elements terrorists? “Not only terrorists, they have assistance from some other forces as well. This is what many other countries also think,” he said.

On the indigenously developed MBT (Main Battle Tank) Arjun and Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, Mr. Antony said these grand projects had made it to the realm of reality now. “LCA will get its initial operational clearance on January 10.”

On the recent deal India signed with Russia for joint development of a Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft, Mr. Antony said the contract was for a preliminary design. “Given the circumstances, we require a fifth generation fighter. Only they [the Russians] were ready to give us the technology.”

Mr. Antony said all coastal States had been asked to provide adequate berthing facility to the Cost Guard.

Earlier, speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony, the Minister said coastal security was a grave issue demanding urgent attention. “It has become an important agenda for the country. This is why the Navy and the Coast Guard have begun maintaining extra vigil along the coast.” Kerala Industries Minister Elamaram Kareem presided. Gyanesh Kumar, Joint Secretary (Naval Systems) and founding Director-General of NIRDESH, introduced the mission and goal of the institute, to be funded jointly by the Centre and defence shipyards.

Kerala Ministers K.P. Rajendran and Binoy Viswam, Opposition leader Oommen Chandy, Union Minister of State for Home Mullapally Ramachandran, Minister of State for Railways E. Ahamed; M.K. Raghavan, MP; and Defence Production Secretary Raj Kumar Singh spoke.

Senior Navy and Coast Guard officers and chairmen and managing directors of defence shipyards attended the function.

The Hindu : States / Kerala : Indigenisation in focus: Antony

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom