What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
its from Video he posted in another thread. Its old you might have seen it.
Tejas Mk2 team targets 2017 for first flight | Page 8

Yes I know and I think it's still good to post the important statements here too, I just wanted him to post at least the names of the person who made the statement, to give us a better idea about who said what. For example:

Air Marshal (retd) M Matheswaran made the most important statements:
The most important thing is, in the LCA program, we suffer from a national culture which I call – it flows from our caste culture system. Why? Because nowhere in the world, when designers are given certain tasks to design an aircraft and develop it, the interface between the user – user’s ability to convince and make him understand what he wants and what are the operational requirements so that the designer can choose the right design intent, is completely and interactive process. Here, the scientific adviser will tell the air chief technology demonstration is my job – you’ve given me the ASR, now lay offlet me finish my technology demonstration program, then you come in – we will see thereafter. There’s the problem. Because it’s too late to come in and make changes...

...More importantly, I think DRDO and the public sector spend more time on publicity events – on non-events. I said, stop all that. You know you have a pre-IOC, you have an IOC, you have a huge celebration – you actually keep announcing things – ‘we are the fourth country to achieve this’, ‘we are the fifth country to achieve this’ or ‘we are the third country to achieve this’ – where is the final product? Where is it going to see the operational utility? How about questioning that? Where are the timelines? Where is the cost accountability?

This is what we need to question. We stop these public events, we stop these announcements for the rest of the world and if you think that we’re fooling the rest of the world – we’re fooling ourselves.

He couldn't be more correct, but he and other former IAF officials also corrected some of the public myth about the program problems, that we usually take to justify the problems:

Myth: IAF changed the technical requirements which caused development delays
So the person who said there’s always been a conflict between HAL, DRDO and air force – there’s never been a change of stance of air force. Constantly, there’s an accusation that goalposts have been shifted by air force. The ASR was approved with everybody involved in 1985 and there were two concessions given in 1989 – no other change has ever been made. It is their inability to conform the ASR, for a variety of reasons. .
– Air Marshal (retd) M Matheswaran

Myth: Development of LCA was delayed because of sudden sanctions after Kargil
When people talk about sanctions and delays – I was with the LCA program for about eight months, myself. And I used to hear this excuse every time that because of sanctions we lost it. Mr. Mishra will bear witness to this that when we were doing the bis-upgrade program; even at that time in ’93 we anticipated American sanctions. And therefore we kept away from American equipment – at that time. How ADA didn’t foresee this – DRDO – that American will put sanctions on them, sometime or the other – particularly when one arm of the DRDO was tinkering with nukes at that time. They should have known that this would come. And they should have gone for different technology. I also want to reiterate that we had opportunities at each stage to get the LCA going in a different direction and probably make it more of a success. We forsook those opportunities for some reasons or the other...
– Air Marshal (retd.) Harish Masand

lca-tejas-2011.jpg

I watched all videos, And i have a very mixed feeling.
First, We got a clear picture about the thinking of top brass of IAF. Many myths are busted (like @sancho quoted ).
But at the same time it made me realized their way of thinking is not much different from ours,the keyboard warriors :).
They said almost everything we complain about here, the Bigmouth/PR of DRDO,Importance of MMRCA,Budget availability,ToT problems, friction bw IAF and DRDO and co,lack of accountability, lack of two front doctrine etc. And they cry a lot just like we do here and make wishlist (like @Abingdonboy did last day ;) ) to fill dreams.
I have been wandering forums like this for last 3-4 years and i know enough of their problems already!. Then why cant a 1 lakh+ organisation change even the basics of the system to fulfill their need.? These people work their whole life trying change the system and fail miserably.
How can we call LCA /Kavari a mistake when it is still going on 25+ years ?
why are we so afraid of change ? why are we afraid of taking a decision ?
As George Varghese said at the end "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Last edited:
I watched all videos, And i have a very mixed feeling.
First, We got a clear picture about the thinking of top brass of IAF. Many myths are busted (like @sancho quoted ).
But at the same time it made me realized their way of thinking is not much different from ours,the keyboard warriors :).
They said almost everything we complain about here, the Bigmouth/PR of DRDO,Importance of MMRCA,Budget availability,ToT problems, friction bw IAF and DRDO and co,lack of accountability, lack of two front doctrine etc. And they cry a lot just like we do here and make wishlist (like @Abingdonboy did last day ;) ) to fill dreams.
I have been wandering forums like this for last 3-4 years and i know enough of their problems already!. Then why cant a 1 lakh+ organisation change even the basics of the system to fulfill their need.? These people work their whole life trying change the system and fail miserably.
How can we call LCA /Kavari a mistake when it is still going on 25+ years ?
why are we so afraid of change ? why are we afraid of taking a decision ?
As George Varghese said at the end "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Exactly, the low level of discussion made me realize what we are dealing with. Seems hopeless.

What I found interesting is there was NO representative from the DRDO, ADA or HAL. :devil: ...........strange, don't you think ? ...they even had people from the media :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom