Not open for further replies.
LCA Tejas: A `game changer’ for air defence | Business Line
LCA Tejas: A `game changer’ for air defence
M. SOMASEKHAR
COMMENT · PRINT · T+
23_BLRVN_LCATEJAS__1695849f.jpg

PTILight Combat Aircraft, Tejas

Ads by Google
Aviva i-Life Term Plan - Pay Only Rs.16*/day and Get 1 Crore Life Cover+ Tax Benefits.Buy Now!
www.avivaindia.com/Term-Plan

HYDERABAD, DEC. 23:

The induction of the Light Combat Aircraft, Tejas into the Indian Air Force will be a `game changer’ for the country’s air defence preparedness, says Avinash Chander, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister.

"Though delayed, the India developed fighter aircraft has emerged as a `contemporary aircraft, as good or in a way better than the competitors in its class", Avinash Chander told Business Line.

The LCA signals the country’s indigenous capability to develop a major air-based weapon platform and a step towards achieving self-reliance in aircraft design, fabrication and manufacture. It has laid a sound base for a smooth take off in the efforts to develop more advanced fighter aircraft in the future, Avinash Chander, the Chief of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said.

The fighter aircraft, which obtained the Initial Operation Clearance on December 20, is a step away from induction into the IAF to replace the ageing MiG-21 aircraft. The immediate plan was to induct six squadrons of the IAF with the Tejas. This means about 120 aircraft. Already, the IAF has placed orders for two squadrons. Similarly, the Indian Navy will have at least 40 of the naval version of the fighter aircraft.

In the next 10 years, at least 200 LCA numbers are expected to bolster the country’s air strike power. The HAL, which will manufacture these aircraft will provide 16 per year. It has built capacity and will further ramp up production facilities.

The DRDO Chief saw Rs 100,000 crore opportunity in the next decade in the defence aircraft industry for the country. The gradual induction of the LCA will ensure a forex saving to the tune of Rs 50,000 crore. In addition, the savings on life cycle and maintenance costs will be close to that figure in the long run, he explained.

There is tremendous scope for small and medium enterprises to make components and sub-systems and supply to HAL. It will also lead to creation of expertise and industrial infrastructure in the country

LCA as a project started before there was talk about procuring the Su 30, which is why the S54 was not a possibility at the time I think. The general idea however is similar to what I say about FGFA => AMCA. Taking advantage of the same engine and other common parts, in a medium class single engine design. Can you do something in that regard? ;)

I would recommend FGFA+LCA =>AMCA. why should we leave our hard earned expertise for 30 years?

Some calculations on the Payload of LCA from Bharat Rakshak where Mr. indranil Roy has worked out Payload from the pictures Loaded LCA.

Pl add further 300 KG of LDP which he missed to calculate.

It comes to 4334 KG+ weight of Fuel Tanks if the Middle carries 1200 liters of fuel

It comes to 4010 KG+ weight of Fuel Tanks if the Middle carries 800 liters of fuel.

SO it is very much above 4 tons in any case.

Weight Calculation As per Mr. Roy.

If that center line tank is a 1200 ltr tank, the payload is:
Fuel weight(3600 ltrs) = 2916 kgs + weight of 3 fuel tanks
Bombs (2*1000 lbs) = 908 kg
R-73 =210 kg
Total = 4034 kgs + weight of 3 fuel tanks.

Even if it is a 800 ltr tank the payload is:
Fuel weight(3200 ltrs) = 2592 kgs + weight of 3 fuel tanks
Bombs (2*1000 lbs) = 908 kg
R-73 =210 kg
Total = 3710 kgs + weight of 3 fuel tanks.

Last edited:
I am going to go ahead and put a odd one out in this discussion..

I Present to you the aircraft that should have been the Tejas(and would have rolled out sooner too).

The HAL/Sukhoi S-54 LCA Tejas!

Highly manoeuvrable , carrier capable with little modification; the aircraft is powered by the same AL-31F engine as the Su-30MKI which offers additional logistic commonality for the IAF. Two versions that would have 80% commonality with the other. The first is the operational fighter known as the LCA-F with the ELTA EL/M-2052 for air defence missions seen here on the runway at IAFS Kalaikunda and deploying flares during training exercises.

S-54 Tejas with operational loadout of GP-9 Gunpod, Astra BVRAAM, KH-29 missiles and R-74 WVR missiles
s2hj.jpg

S-54 Tejas punching out flares whilst on training. Carrying Derby and R-74 AAMs.
br8q.jpg

The sister AJT and LIFT version of the Tejas known as the LCA-T lacks the canards,longer nose and IFR probe of the fighter but is otherwise completely common with the LCA-F.It uses the ELTA EL/M-2032 radar with a smaller antenna that still provides excellent radar coverage to 40km and allows the usage of BVR weaponry. This version is capable of employing all the weaponry of the LCA-F and capable of augmenting or supplementing the LCA-F in strike, CAS, BAI and OCA roles whilst also capable of performing point interception and local combat air patrols.

LCA-T waiting to join in on the local training sortie. Equipped with ATGMs for CAS role along with stand off munitions dispenser.
6nes.jpg

Tejas-T with AL-31FT in full afterburner rotating out of IAFS Kalaikunda

7jey.jpg

@Oscar, that seems to be a really good concept.
As a matter of fact; there was a thread here by a Russian colleague probably @vostok about a new light single engined fighter planned in Russia. I think that would be a great concept direction to go towards by ADA after terminating the Tejas Mk.2 at the presently planned levels. The technological levels acquired so far and in the works will be sufficient to work on that.

I would recommend FGFA+LCA =>AMCA. why should we leave our hard earned expertise for 30 years?

:D me 2 buddy, see:

Indian AMCA proposal | Page 4

However, LCA is a 4th gen project and from the technical point of view, there is hardly anything useful that could be diverted to AMCA, while FGFA is already a 5th gen fighter, which makes share of parts far easier. As I showed in my post above, I still think we should aim AMCA on the same design aims that we had with LCA, since they had a low RCS and being cost-effective in mind too, so taking the same aims for a 5th gen fighter should be a logical evolution. And the lessons learned from N-LCA (be it positive or negative), should be used in developing an AMCA for IN as well, although most of the design will be completely different, because of stealth or the aim on catapult take off primarily. But taking N-LCA Tech Demonstrator as a base, will ease the development of a new carrier fighter by far.

So LCA/N-LCA => AMCA yes, but only as an evolution of the LCA development
While FGFA => AMCA would be shared parts, to shorten the development and reduce risks

I rode Interview of ADA director which currently I am unable to found in which he said that the addition of 9th hardpoint would be for LIGHTNING POD.

LCA already has a pod station, that carries the Litenting, or the Reccelite pod in future, so another pod station wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:
Tejas Mk-1 MRCA's Projected Operational Configurations

Though the Tejas Mk1 MRCA will fully certified as an operational platform
only by 2016, as it exists today, the MRCA’s tandem-seat operational
conversion trainer variant is probably the best available lead-in fighter
trainer (LIFT) with significant export prospects.

0001.jpg

The slide below shows the various external add-on sensors, target acquisition/designation systems and
dissimilar air combat training aids that will make the Tejas Mk1 a truly potent MRCA.

0002.jpg

The slide below shows the lightweight precision-guided munitions available for the Tejas Mk1.

0003.jpg

The slide below shows the PGMs and sensors/fire-control systems for the Tejas Mk1 in the defensive
counter-air mission configuration.

0004.jpg

The slide below shows the Tejas Mk1 in the tactical interdiction mission configuration.

0005.jpg

Finally, the slide below shows the Tejas Mk1 in the battlefield interdiction (close air-support) mission
configuration.

0006.jpg

TRISHUL: Tejas Mk1 MRCA’s Projected Operational Configurations

Tejas Mk-1 MRCA's Projected Operational Configurations

Those configs doesn't make any sense! It shows 115 and 250Kg LGBs, while IAF is aiming on 500Kg bombs for MK1 and as confirmed from officials, only Derby will be added till the FOC, which rules out any other new weapon. Then it shows the Rafault multi pylon of the Rafale, to carry the speculative triple bomb configs, but the mid wing station most likely doesn't support the weight of the Rafault with 3 x 250Kg LGBs.
The he defensive counter-air config shows a total of 8 x missiles, although only 6 x wingstations are available.
In actical interdiction config, it shows all wingstations ocupied with weapons, which would leave only an 800l centerline fuel tank, far too less for such a load and any useful range.

IF IAF would want to add new foreign weapons, the best additions would be Rafael SPICE 2000 (which the M2K UPG seems to get), as well as the integration of SPICE 250 with a quadpack at the centerline station. That would give LCA heavy strike capability (bunker buster), CAS and even SEAD capability, while the wingstations will remain free for fuel, BVR and WVR weapons.

I have a dumb question. If Tejas will take time to come in, why are we selling Sukhois? Let the newer plaforms be in service till the new squadrons come in?

apart from feel good notions.. the article does not answer its main claim: The Tejas is the best in its class in the world. Best at what? flyaway cost? technology? ease of maintenance? growth potential? what? Compared to what? The Gripen NG?

Such articles are useless, its better to look at other articles published on Tejas by Indian professionals rather than newspaper reporters.

Some times I just wanna kick these DRDO guys and journalists..We understand that its the first aircraft made by us and its tend to have some faults.. Why shoving indigestible statements into our throats? Every one is learning from their own mistakes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom