What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dumb question. If Tejas will take time to come in, why are we selling Sukhois? Let the newer plaforms be in service till the new squadrons come in?
We are not selling Sukhois. We might end up buying more.

Good that at last we will be seeing Tejas in action

Its best in class as its the only fighter in its class...BS article. Its just a small step towards self reliance.

For Chander, the potential to tweak the existing Tejas and produce variants, along with the confidence in the Indian aviation industry, that the LCA has generated, are the biggest two fundamental advantages of the project.

In case of Tejas, we now have the capability of stocking up the parts and being ready in advance, in case the need arises," Chander substantiated.

the design and development of the LCA has helped establish an entire ecosystem that will work as a platform for future aircraft manufacturing in the country.

This is the real advantage of this project. The development of aviation industry and technical manpower. This is how these projects should be seen in both India and Pakistan...its not the aircrafts but capability. South Asia will soon have a mature aviation industry and might start grabbing the aviation market worldwide.

Once the capability is there one can also engage in JVs to help the aviation industry evolve quickly.

Its best in class as its the only fighter in its class...BS article. Its just a small step towards self reliance.

There are other fighters that fall in that class. So no, it cannot be the best unless it is compared on various aspects.

"It was only in 1993 that the proposal for development of Tejas was submitted.

should we use this date for our counter argument of "So long development phase" type argument from the next time???cause,most of the time members use 1983 as the year when making of Tejas actually started.

I am waiting for Delta winged AMCA model. It wud be a beauty. 5th gen tailless plane. Sexy. :cheesy:

AMCA is in the shelves now. India might not make that plane if it already have PAKFA.

True. First place in the competition of one. And it take India over 30 years to build this plane.
Don't expect MKII until 2020 at earliest.

AMCA is in the shelves now. India might not make that plane if it already have PAKFA.True. First place in the competition of one. And it take India over 30 years to build this plane.Don't expect MKII until 2020 at earliest.
Medium weight stealth plane will be required as PAKFA modified to FGFA, according to Indian specifications, will be a heavy weight fighter.
Tejas took 2 decades. Kindly read the article. The actual work started in 1993.

should we use this date for our counter argument of "So long development phase" type argument from the next time???cause,most of the time members use 1983 as the year when making of Tejas actually started.

1983 was when the design concepts were begun to be considered. Kind of brain-storming began then.

1983-1993, only technologies for Tejas were being defined and infra was develop 1993 was when the actual development started. Infact ADA itself was formed in 1984 and ASR requirements were only finalized in 1985. So 1983 cannot called be the year when development for Tejas started.

apart from feel good notions.. the article does not answer its main claim: The Tejas is the best in its class in the world. Best at what? flyaway cost? technology? ease of maintenance? growth potential? what? Compared to what? The Gripen NG?

Such articles are useless, its better to look at other articles published on Tejas by Indian professionals rather than newspaper reporters.
Bane of booming profession of journalism in India... the idea is get anyone from Industrial reporting and stick them in defence reporting, most don't know the difference between BVR and WVR, anything with a pointy head and fire in the butt is an advanced missile for them....

My expectations from tejas has dwindled over the years, development over the past decade has institutional lethargy over it. FG414 could have gone into production of not for the same chillaxed behavior. Nose cone issue if true should result in some some firings, it is an issue that has no excuse. I haven't heard much on supersonic maneuverability either. I dont want to sound like a proponent of conspiracy scripts, but to me there seems to be an intentional lethargy in progress of LCA, and by no means it is best in class as a light weight fighter with development time frame, tracking and engagement, AOA. etc especially when in contention there are Mirage 2000, Saab JAS, , FC1/jf17, AIDC F-CK-1, FA-50

1983 was when the design concepts were begun to be considered. Kind of brain-storming began then.
I used to argue the same thing six years ago when i came to US, and the argument is still the same, Even with 1993 as the real start time, its been "20 years" It's too long of a time for an organisation like drdo to be still struggling....

I used to argue the same thing six years ago when i came to US, and the argument is still the same, Even with 1993 as the real start time, its been "20 years" It's too long of a time for an organisation like drdo to be still struggling....

LOL. Notwithstanding all the technological hurdles; sanctions etc, it was a case of how not to manage a project. First of all the endless "tugs-of-war" between agencies, then "Death by Comittees" that had to define requirements. Then the singularly inappropriate choice of person(s) to run the program. I even think that the "journos" that you are railing at, sat in the team tasked to run the whole show! Or atleast to set the designed performance parameters, esp for the engine.

LOL. Notwithstanding all the technological hurdles; sanctions etc, it was a case of how not to manage a project. First of all the endless "tugs-of-war" between agencies, then "Death by Comittees" that had to define requirements. Then the singularly inappropriate choice of person(s) to run the program. I even think that the "journos" that you are railing at, sat in the team tasked to run the whole show! Or atleast to set the designed performance parameters, esp for the engine.
Sanctions w.r.t to digi fbw I can understand, drdo guys being kicked out of Huntington beach, but what about the rest, the indigenous fbw protocol was developed by the end of 99, MMR was off the shelf, for last 10 years they have been messing around with the getting the python and derby and now they are gearing to get them operational. Even as a test bed they have to sit and decide for 3 months which a/c to select to test a certain parameter. This is the sad state of affairs. And now the nose cone issue just boils my blood, "Do it right the first time", how can you select the material without knowing the affect on the application, even run of the mill designers like me ask these questions, and the entire TRV group did not see this coming... Such actions leave very less wiggle room to argue for proponents of desi maal like me...

1983-1993, only technologies for Tejas were being defined and infra was develop 1993 was when the actual development started. Infact ADA itself was formed in 1984 and ASR requirements were only finalized in 1985. So 1983 cannot called be the year when development for Tejas started.

So 1983 was the initial date when the plane was announced. Requirement procurement phase is also part of the plane development phase. So is infrastructure development. So LCA take 30 years to develop. The important thing though, is that the project is completed to the end.

Medium weight stealth plane will be required as PAKFA modified to FGFA, according to Indian specifications, will be a heavy weight fighter.
Tejas took 2 decades. Kindly read the article. The actual work started in 1993.

For medium weight plane. India can purchase the F-35. It should be faster to purchase that plane than to build one from scratch and India can induct F-35 faster. As of now, AMCA will be start until when LCA MKII is completed. Who knows how long will that take. So India should pursue the purchase of F-35. Its likely that India might not need F-35. But its good to keep that option open.

For medium weight plane. India can purchase the F-35. It should be faster to purchase that plane than to build one from scratch and India can induct F-35 faster. As of now, AMCA will be start until when LCA MKII is completed. Who knows how long will that take. So India should pursue the purchase of F-35. Its likely that India might not need F-35. But its good to keep that option open.
F-35 is totally out of question. India already rejected it. Medium weight stealth fighter under consideration in Russia might be what India would be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom