What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
'The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) (formerly known as Air Defence Ship (ADS)) is the first aircraft carrier to be built by India at the Cochin Shipyard. The steel cutting took place at Cochin Shipyard Ltd on 11 April 2005 [1] and the fabrication of the hull has started. This will be the largest and broadest ship ever built by Cochin Shipyard. The Cochin shipyard plans to complete eighty percent of works on the ship before its launch in 2010.[2] The aircraft carrier is expected to enter service by 2012.[3] The early warning sensors and anti-aircraft missile capability of the first aircraft carrier is similar to that of the Kolkata class destroyers. A second ship in the series will be a 64,000-ton aircraft carrier which is expected to enter service by the year 2017.[4]'
Vikrant class aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
not enough
Defense Technology International - April 2008
in this article it says second ads will weigh 64,000ton.......think this will satisfy you:cheers:

'The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) (formerly known as Air Defence Ship (ADS)) is the first aircraft carrier to be built by India at the Cochin Shipyard. The steel cutting took place at Cochin Shipyard Ltd on 11 April 2005 [1] and the fabrication of the hull has started. This will be the largest and broadest ship ever built by Cochin Shipyard. The Cochin shipyard plans to complete eighty percent of works on the ship before its launch in 2010.[2] The aircraft carrier is expected to enter service by 2012.[3] The early warning sensors and anti-aircraft missile capability of the first aircraft carrier is similar to that of the Kolkata class destroyers. A second ship in the series will be a 64,000-ton aircraft carrier which is expected to enter service by the year 2017.[4]'
Vikrant class aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
not enough
Defense Technology International - April 2008
in this article it says second ads will weigh 64,000ton.......think this will satisfy you:cheers:

wikipedia is not reliable sourse and the other link is not working.
... however I think the 64000tn ac is just a rumor. Recently in an interview to the headlines today the Admrl. Suresh Mehta has confirmed that the IN will order 1 more carrier of the same 37000tn class as soon as the construction of the first indigenous carrier reaches at a certain stage. and he also stated that India will have atleast three indigenous carrier before 2025. the construction of the 3rd carrier to start somewhere around 2018 he said. I dont have link of that interview but it is understandable that India cant go for another carrier of a different design without inducting the first one.

even i did not believe in it first,but when the same was given in the defence technology international a famous magazine i understood it was no rumor and the article dates april 2008 edition.......the link is working.....if ads-2 is not that heavy then why does the navy require 100 lca while all 3 carriers added with reserves dont amount to 100 excluding mig-29ks...........do you think that the director general of drdo is joking.........even if lca are not inducted the requirement will still stands and may be fullfilled with mig-29ks,f-18s or even f-35(if possible).i dont know abt your opinion but i firmly believe in the news.........the article also says that ads1 will be operational only in 2014,ads2 will have steam catapults and can accomadate the latest e-2d hawkeyes.

guys over all I feel LCA induction would be something like this:

first 40: With the GE 404 IN 20 engine and with Elta 2032 based radar. Till 2012 and the production lines will be stabilized till then

Next batch approx 4-5 squadrons: With the engine selected means either with GE 414 or Eurojet and the radar same as above (here some surprise can come like AESA based on Elta 2052 but I am not putting my hopes there). This will start from 2012 onwards
and we can see 1 squadron per year

Next batch: Here we can see some 3-4 squadrons or more by canceling 1-2 squadron from above. With kaveri and Elta 2052 based radar or any AESA selected. As well as MCA will be flying with it.

guys over all I feel LCA induction would be something like this:

first 40: With the GE 404 IN 20 engine and with Elta 2032 based radar. Till 2012 and the production lines will be stabilized till then

Next batch approx 4-5 squadrons: With the engine selected means either with GE 414 or Eurojet and the radar same as above (here some surprise can come like AESA based on Elta 2052 but I am not putting my hopes there). This will start from 2012 onwards
and we can see 1 squadron per year

Next batch: Here we can see some 3-4 squadrons or more by canceling 1-2 squadron from above. With kaveri and Elta 2052 based radar or any AESA selected. As well as MCA will be flying with it.
kaveri will not power the lca. the jv will be for a new engine with a french core and others will be indian ,very likely to come from kaveri and then we will be the only asian nation to develop world class engines............but yes mca must be flying between 2017-2019 and will be operational by 2022-3.........40+80+80=200 for that we must produce abt 20lcas per year which is easily achievable considering that it is an indegenous product,its simple delta wing,composites..........the
n-lca will have new engines considering its addedweight with arrester hook and stronger undercarriage.

kaveri will not power the lca. the jv will be for a new engine with a french core and others will be indian ,very likely to come from kaveri and then we will be the only asian nation to develop world class engines............but yes mca must be flying between 2017-2019 and will be operational by 2022-3.........40+80+80=200 for that we must produce abt 20lcas per year which is easily achievable considering that it is an indegenous product,its simple delta wing,composites..........the
n-lca will have new engines considering its addedweight with arrester hook and stronger undercarriage.

without using kaveri to power LCA I don't think it will be good option there will be LCA powered with kaveri definitely.

'Let us be realistic about the engine. Making a gas turbine engine for a fighter jet is a very complex issue. Very few countries in the world have been able to develop it successfully. Since starting the LCA programme, the weight of the aircraft has grown up significantly; yet I must tell you that at 6.5 tons the LCA is one of the lightest aircraft of its class in the world. Kaveri engine was fine for the LCA programme when it started. But as we have shifted the goal-post, which is the LCA weight, the Kaveri engine does not meet the ASR requirement. In the meantime, I am also requesting GTRE that technologies are available in the world to make the Kaveri engine fulfil the ASR requirements. Even if they take more years instead of four to make an indigenous engine with collaboration from outside, it would be very good. The IAF has said that its requirement of LCA could be in significant numbers. Once the suitable indigenous Kaveri is made it can be fitted to the LCA still under production. The Kaveri has given a good performance which is not easy to get. If we are able to bring Kaveri to the desired standards, it will be a major achievement. If you discontinue Kaveri now, you will kill the engine technology in India.'
this is from your old post

i am sorry i think it is the kaveri but only the core will be french.........i made a mistake.........the gtre had two options *to mature kaveri without foriegn help in 6 years*to mature kaveri using french tech in 4years........it chose the later........negotiations will take atlest one year,actual development and certification will take 4-5 years,testing on the lca will take 1-2 years ,totally abt 6-7 years which means the timeline is 2014-15 which is perfect after the 80 lca with ej or ge............thanks man.......

even i did not believe in it first,but when the same was given in the defence technology international a famous magazine i understood it was no rumor and the article dates april 2008 edition.......the link is working.....if ads-2 is not that heavy then why does the navy require 100 lca while all 3 carriers added with reserves dont amount to 100 excluding mig-29ks...........do you think that the director general of drdo is joking.........even if lca are not inducted the requirement will still stands and may be fullfilled with mig-29ks,f-18s or even f-35(if possible).i dont know abt your opinion but i firmly believe in the news.........the article also says that ads1 will be operational only in 2014,ads2 will have steam catapults and can accomadate the latest e-2d hawkeyes.

You must be jocking.....Director general of DRDO has got nothing to do with the Navy and its purchase. He can go on and say what ever he want to..navy or for that matter the army and airforce will do every thing on their own terms and condition. otherwise the Arjun would be inducted in to army not in 100s but in 1000s, right now even 100 is bit to optimistic no. and when he talks about 100 lca for Navy it only means he expect navy to buy that no. and as far as the Navy is concerned it has only ordered 40 LCA at the moment. the no. could rise but it will probably replace the current sqdrn of jaguar used by the Navy. and If you are saying that the 2nd ADS will be 64000tn class is true then I would be the happiest person in the world but for that to belive I need a valid link.... and I would trust the Navy chief not DRDO general for that matter.

You must be jocking.....Director general of DRDO has got nothing to do with the Navy and its purchase. He can go on and say what ever he want to..navy or for that matter the army and airforce will do every thing on their own terms and condition. otherwise the Arjun would be inducted in to army not in 100s but in 1000s, right now even 100 is bit to optimistic no. and when he talks about 100 lca for Navy it only means he expect navy to buy that no. and as far as the Navy is concerned it has only ordered 40 LCA at the moment. the no. could rise but it will probably replace the current sqdrn of jaguar used by the Navy. and If you are saying that the 2nd ADS will be 64000tn class is true then I would be the happiest person in the world but for that to belive I need a valid link.... and I would trust the Navy chief not DRDO general for that matter.
no u r wrong the navy has not yet placed orders for lca.......first it will place orders for 16 n-lca ,10 to replace harriers accompanying mig-29k in gorshkov and 4 for ground based training,familiarisation,........then 26 for ads-1 which due to delays will be operational only by 2014(which is why india had to bargain so hard for gorshkov).............later 48 orders will be placed for ads-2 and 12 will add to initial lot of 4 for reserve in case any is lost during war or peace time.......the total 100.............and the lca cannot replace the jaguar which is a 'long range','medium payload' strike plane and lca is 'medium range','lower payload' multi role fighter..............i hope u get the maths right:D wooof

no u r wrong the navy has not yet placed orders for lca.......first it will place orders for 16 n-lca ,10 to replace harriers accompanying mig-29k in gorshkov and 4 for ground based training,familiarisation,........then 26 for ads-1 which due to delays will be operational only by 2014(which is why india had to bargain so hard for gorshkov).............later 48 orders will be placed for ads-2 and 12 will add to initial lot of 4 for reserve in case any is lost during war or peace time.......the total 100.............and the lca cannot replace the jaguar which is a 'long range','medium payload' strike plane and lca is 'medium range','lower payload' multi role fighter..............i hope u get the maths right:D wooof

Where did you get that no.please provide a link. first DRDO director general and then 48 nlca....???:lol: our Navy's current requirement is only 40 LCA. I hope this time you get your maths right..http://www.janes.com/news/defence/naval/jdw/jdw070910_1_n.shtml

Dont act like that u know better, your knowledge is also limited so down a bit. No need to get in to unnecessary argument. just provide a valid link thats it.

Last edited:
ok let iac-2 be a 37,000ton one..............then if 24 for iac-1,24 for iac-2 exceeds 40, then were will you go for reserves, ground training(pilots have to practise ski jump on land before they move to the ship),and then where is the replacement for harriers in ins vikramdithya...........defence technology magazine is a very reliable source,i dont know why u cant the link,its working for me, but others can see it and judge what i say is correct or incorrect.........i will apologise if i do not have enough evidence but i have and my stand is strong........the article also hints possible indian cooperation with russia on fmbt 2 and half months before the actual news came out........you must also understand that it is not an indian defence magazine but a global one.

here is an another reliable source

FORCE(Feb 2008) link A Complete News Magazine on National Security
================================================== =============================
Stability with Power

Indian Navy eyes three-dimensional force to project power and stability in IOR

By Prasun K. Sengupta

The Indian Navy (IN) in the next five years plans to deploy two potent carrier battle groups (CBG) to project power as well as act as a stabilising influence in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) and beyond. The basic aim behind a powerful three-dimensional naval force, with the ‘blue-water element’ jumping from the present 40 per cent to 60 per cent, is to keep India’s primary area of interest in IOR under adequate surveillance and to ensure that economic activity is not hindered. It is for this reason that the 44,570-tonne aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov, rechristened INS Vikramaditya, was contracted for in January 2004 and was originally scheduled to be inducted into service by the IN by August 15 this year.

India has already paid around USD 460 million of the USD 974 million earmarked for Gorshkov’s refit under a fixed price contract. However, Moscow now wants an additional USD 1.2 billion to refurbish the aircraft carrier, as the Russian shipyard, Sevmashpredpriyatiye, near the city of Archangelsk, has to do recabling work of 2,400 km (as opposed to 800 km as per original estimates), with the vessel being readied for service only by 2011. As things now stand, the Vikramaditya will have on board the Poima-E CMS comprising nine multi-function consoles, Podberezovik-ET1 long-range air/surface search radar and a Fregat-M2EM medium-range radar, all built by Salyut State Moscow Plant FSUE. Close-in air defence will be provided by four Kashtan-M systems, while medium-range air defence will be provided by 64 Altair 9M317ME medium-range surface-to-air missiles (SAM) mounted on four 16-cell vertical launchers.

To cater for the unforeseen unavailability of the Vikramaditya, the IN could contract state-owned Cochin Shipyard Ltd (CSL) to undertake another refit of its ageing 28,000-tonne aircraft carrier INS Viraat in 2008 to take care of any contingency through to 2012. But this option makes sense only if the navy in the near future acquires up to 12 pre-owned but refurbished AV-8B Harrier V/STOL combat aircraft from the US Marine Corps and upgrades them. This move will, in turn, avert another crisis facing the navy, this being the steadily dwindling fleet of Sea Harrier FRS Mk51 V/STOL aircraft that now numbers less than 10.

Another option that needs to go hand-in-hand is for CSL to expedite construction of the first 37,500-tonne indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC), which as of now is due for delivery only by 2012, with a second, larger IAC (displacing 64,000 tonnes) following in 2017. The primary early warning sensors and on-board air defence systems of the IAC will be identical to that on board the Project 15A DDG (these being the EL/M-2248 MF-STAR active phased-array radar with four antennae and Barak-2 long-range SAMs). In addition, twin OTOBreda 76-mm/62 main guns will be mounted. The IAC’s integrated platform management system, propulsion control system, automatic fire detection system, advanced power management system and battle damage control systems are all now being designed by L-3 MAPPS. Fincantieri (part of Italy’s Finmeccanica group) is designing and supplying the integrated propulsion system centered around four GE LM-2500 marine industrial gas turbines.

A third option for the IN (one that it prefers the most but is being prevented from voicing out due to political reasons) concerns the US offer, made late last year, to lease to India for a 10-year period the conventionally-fuelled aircraft carrier, the 81,780-ton USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63), with India in return committing to the off-the-shelf purchase of about 40 Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and four EA-18G Growlers, six Northrop Grumman E-2D Hawkeye AEW & C aircraft and up to 12 Boeing/BAE Systems T-45C Goshawk lead-in fighter trainers.

The US has also offered to supply the critical steam catapults for the second, bigger IAC to be built by CSL, which will enable the vessel to house all aircraft types acquired by the IN for conducting operations from the leased Kitty Hawk (in contrast, the Vikramaditya and the first IAC will have STOBAR configurations that preclude the need for a steam catapult for launching aircraft from the carriers’ decks). If this option is exercised by India, the Kitty Hawk, which can accommodate 85 aircraft and helicopters (it is presently home ported in Yokosuka, Japan and will be decommissioned by the year’s end) will be subjected to a 15-month service life extension programme (SLEP) costing about USD 150 million, which will add another 10 years of service life to the vessel. At the same time, its on-board armaments suite will be upgraded to accommodate two Raytheon-built RIM-162 ESSM medium-range SAM launchers and a close-in weapons system comprising four RIM-116 RAM missile launchers and four Vulcan Phalanx 20mm gatling guns. The entire commercial transaction, if undertaken, will be channelled through the US’ Foreign Military Sales (FMS) contract implementation process. ================================================== =============================

As clearly mentioned above refit of INS Virat does't sounds logical unless IN buys USMC AV-8b and upgrades them. In both(AV-8B or package USS KITTY HAWK) options US is more or less involved. In any case IN should be having atleast 1 carrier('The Aircraft Carrier is Central to our Concept of Operations' says Flag officer commanding-in-Chief,VICE ADMIRAL J.S Bedi /force dec 2007). As far as relation of IN navy with US is concerned it's climbing up e.g- INS JALASHWA, Navel exercises and P-8i LR-MPA in final stage. IN is interested in having 5th gen fighter on 2nd IAC. It will either be navel version of IAF/russia 5th gen or F-35 a/b/c. Taking serious look at IN, it plans and already acquiring AMPHIBIOUS capability. It more or less means shore/land attack. Supporting them will be fighters Jets. These fighters just can't be V/STOL bcoz of their limited capability. And MRCA in STOBAR configuration also limits F.Jets capability in terms of combat load. So IN might be operating heavy 5th gen fighter from second IAC with catapult assisted take-off. Catapult will either be M.I USA or proposed joint development of electro-megentic catapult(force june 07). Considering the plans of IN USS KITTY HAWK will be a good training and transformation ground for the NAVAIR pilot from V/STOL / STOBAR to CTOAL. To me, package USS KITTY HAWK is better than other(refit INS VIRAT).

To some one it might look like wet dream. But current trend suggest that GOI is doing 1 by 1 to keep RED-LOBBY cool. And who knows package USS KITTY HAWK is following C-130 , P-8I, INS Jalashwa. As IN is bringing back 2 back surprises it might be another.

this thread can help you
Indian Navy eyes three-dimensional force to project power and stability in IOR
so what do you think,are u the happiest person on earth now.

Last edited:
Dont act like that u know better, your knowledge is also limited so down a bit. No need to get in to unnecessary argument. just provide a valid link thats it.

marshal ,jaison chill guys no need to get personal please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom