What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Delhi: The DRDO-made 'Kaveri' engine could not be integrated with the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) but it has provided a platform for the development of gas turbine engine technology in the country, Lok Sabha was informed today.

"Though the Kaveri engine was not fully meeting the requirement of LCA 'Tejas', it provided a platform for gas turbine technology development in India," Defence Minister A K Antony said in reply to a question in Lok Sabha.

The design and development of Kaveri was sanctioned for the LCA 'Tejas' fighter aircraft programme.

Talking about the milestones achieved by the engine project, the Minister said DRDO has tied up with a Russian scientific organisation Central Institute of Aviation Motors (CIAM) for fine-tuning of the Kaveri engine's performance.

"This association brought the project in higher platform, resulting in successful completion of one major milestone of altitude testing, simulating Kaveri engine performance at different altitude and Mach No," he added.

Antony said that one of engine prototypes 'K9' is being integrated with IL-76 aircraft at Gromov Flight Research Institute in Russia for ground and test bed trials.

@ Sancho -

Personally I think, especially by the fact that LCA is a single engine fighter and any problems with the engine could result in a crash of the fighter, we must focus on high reliability of the engine, be it a foreign one, or our Kaveri engine. That's why it's a good decision to go for a proven foreign engine, while further developing the base Kaveri and maybe going for a co-development with Snecma.

This I agree and I know how stupid it is to go with Kaveri with LCA for teh time being regardless of thurst or not:)...

I guess you meant UAE and not Saudi, apart from that Satish was not completelly wrong. If we had agreed in the past for the Kaveri co-development, France had used the funds from us to develop the M88-3 for them too. However, it would have been a win win situation, because both countries would get their own 90kN engine.

yes, My bad, its UAE, but there were no such plans actually and no body even thought about it. But that option is gone.

What I wanted to say here is -

What testing are they doing and do they have any planes to increase the thurst?, Is Snechma coming to rescue the old scientists here:)?..or they think they will keep testing on teh reliability and thurst will increase itself??...

@Trisonics -

You can understand my point now. I just wanted to know who is doing what?

yes, My bad, its UAE, but there were no such plans actually and no body even thought about it. But that option is gone.

It was offered from the French for LCA MK2 and for Rafale and I guess the latter option is still available and a big advantage imo.

What I wanted to say here is -

What testing are they doing and do they have any planes to increase the thurst?, Is Snechma coming to rescue the old scientists here:)?..or they think they will keep testing on teh reliability and thurst will increase itself??...

Not sure, but of course they won't just sit and wait for the deal with the French. They will try to sort problems out, or improve the basic engine, which is part of the learning stage for our engineers as well as part of maturing Kaveri techs.
There are plans to use derivates of it for other aircrafts, or even naval vessels, so the basic development has to go on.

PIB Press Release

Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas is yet to become operational. Being a development project, it needed to incorporate a number of new technologies and systems. The schedule date for initial operational clearance is December, 2010. The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has received an order from the Indian Air Force for supply of 20 such aircraft. The supply is planned to commence from 2011-2012 and is likely to be completed by 2013-2014.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri AT Nana Patil and others in Lok Sabha today.

KUDOS TO KARTIK for such a find...:smitten:

1994%20-%201863.html

1994%20-%201863.html

My god a collaboration on LCA between China and India :whistle:

:pop: If done would be the story of this century :smokin:

A little correction...IT WOULD HAVE BEEN...the article is from '94..

and let me to add li'lbit..
Today There is no thought of China regarding this project
and....
From Archieve
1-Approaches to western manufactures have so far proved fruitless.
2-India had previously approached SAAB of Sweden and British Aerospace as potential partner of LCA programme, but neither company appears willing to gamble on project.
And , now these bloody F***krs are standing in ques to compete for partnering LCA project..
This is what has changed since.

INDIA....INDIA....

Chill Sirji...... rumours of past spread by Indian Media..

Oh to theek hai koi baat nahi, hum karlenge. Aur abhi toh line lagi hui haina kya bolta hai bheedu :cool:

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

and let me to add li'lbit..
Today There is no thought of China regarding this project
and....

And , now these bloody F***krs are standing in ques to compete for partnering LCA project..
This is what has changed since.

INDIA....INDIA....

True man paisa me parmatma hai, kisine sahi bola :rofl:

IAF To Order More Tejas Mk-1s

IMG_0020-759596.JPG

The Indian Air Force is processing a contract for 20 additional limited series Tejas Mk-1 light fighters -- the ones powered by the underpowered GE F-404-IN20. This will be in addition to the 20 already contracted for a few years ago. While base infrastructure is coming up expeditiously at Sulur, first Tejas deliveries to the IAF will be based at the Bangalore-based Aircraft Systems and Testing Establishment (ASTE) for upto a year or more to iron out induction-related troubles. Once the IAF is satisfied that the fighters are well-supported, and all potential issues with HAL are sorted out, the aircraft will be shifted to Sulur. It has emerged that the IAF may choose to either base the second Tejas squadron also at Sulur, or even at nearby Kayathar, where it is in the process of building up a brand new air base. The Tejas is scheduled to achieve initial operational clearance/capability (IOC) in December this year, with the first squadron inducted by next year.

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: IAF To Order More Tejas Mk-1s

This is the same additional 20 we all were talking about...With the pace the engine selection is going we may very well see another 20 ordered...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom