What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly my point!

Why Indian Navy showed so much faith in LCA when they needed only a few on their Aircraft Carrier since you can't have 100 LCA

Buddy, are you convincing yourself with this, because the reality looks different!

The early plans
The naval prototypes are designated has NP-1 and NP-2; these are respectively the two-seat and single-seat variants. A design permitting operation from a carrier deck with a 14º ski-jump was approved in early 1999 and the final design was frozen , and development go-ahead was granted in mid-2002, although major funding was not released until early 2003...

...navy is expected to order 20 plus aircraft with 60 more in future orders

http://www.lca-tejas.org/navaltejas.html

November 2008
The LCA naval variant, which is to be used by the Navy in an air defence role from its carriers, will jockey for space on the deck with the MiG-29Ks that India is buying from Russia. It will be a replacement for the British-made Sea Harrier jump jets currently used by the Navy. The Navy has already placed intent to procure 40 aircraft.

The Hindu : National : Tejas’ naval variant to take to the skies in 2009

September 2009

Indian Navy has okay-ed the placement of an order for six Naval Tejas Light Combat Aircrafts (N-LCA)

Indian Navy Orders Six Naval Tejas LCA Fighters; Infuses Rs.900 Crore in Programme | India Defence

December 2009
Looking for an enhanced presence, the Navy is planning to buy a state-of-the-art, multi-role, new generation carrier-based fighter aircraft. And in pursuance of this, the Navy has sent out a request for information (RFI) to some of the world’s leading aircraft manufacturers.

ASIAN DEFENCE: India Navy Issues a RFI to EADS, Boeing, Saab and Dassault for New Carrier-Based Fighter Aircraft

March 2010
Russia and India have signed a $1.5-billion contract on the supplies of 29 more MiG-29K carrier-based fighter jets to New Delhi, the head of the Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG said on Friday.

India Orders 29 More MiG-29K Carrier-based Fighters :: Air-Attack.com

As you can see, in reality IN reduced their initial plans to order N-LCA in numbers, up to such a silly number of 6, but at the same time bought and are interested in more foreign fighters!
In contrast to that, in november 2009 IAF increased their initial order of 1 squad of LCA MK1 to a second one and evaluating engines for at least 100 MK2s (50 optional).

This order for 6 N-LCAs is nothing more than PR, to say that our indigenous carriers will also have indigenous fighters, like it was planed in the beginning. But all the delays and the lack of capabilities, made them re-think it. Six N-LCAs are not useful for air defense, in the anti ship role and there is no doubt about which will be the main carrier fighter of IN, the Mig 29K!
Btw, the investment of IN is not for the LCA development, but for the changes that are needed for the naval version only, so they didn't save LCA at all. More over, N-LCA is based on the MK2, so without a developed LCA MK2 for IAF, IN won't get N-LCA.

Talks prove nothing. Actions show what you are.

Exactly and I have to quote myself once again here:

LCA, Dhruv, LCH, LOH, Saras, indigenous trainer and UAVs, SAMs and other weapons

That is more than just talk, that is real action to push our defense industry!

The Tejas Mark I is already as good or better as the light fighters in the IAF,” declares ADA chief, PS Subramaniam, referring to the MiG-21 BISON. “The air force should order at least 60 of them.”

mYPBR.jpg

But, the IAF is less exuberant. Senior air marshals point out to Business Standard that, if they grant the Tejas IOC at the end of 2010, it will be in the long-term interest of the fighter programme, not because the Tejas has met all its targets. The Tejas does not fly as fast as originally planned; its acceleration is significantly less; and the Tejas has not been tested yet in carrying much of the weaponry it is designed to.

Tejas boosts test programme

This is to discuss the performance shortfall of LCA.

What do Air Marshal mean by does not fly as fast. 1.8 Mach:undecided:

Whats problem with acceleration?

Is it engine, but the same engine is in Gripen supercruising:what:

Is the airframe that much draggier that acceleration and flying fast is inhibited??

IF these two are correct, then what is a fighter?? You can as well lugg the missile and gun on a trainer or a transport aircraft.:what:

Seriously WTF is wrong with LCA??

but the same engine is in Gripen supercruising

This only shows your knowledge in subject matter.

Thanks, but can you elaborate little bit for un-educated.

You see, we are here to learn form each other.

I by no means know about this stuff however what i have learned in this forum is that

- Engine alone does not dictate the speed of AC....
- AC design(shape, wings etc), payload and other factors comes into picture...

As far as Tejas is concerned then we have a sticky dedicated to it...Any reason you are not using it and creating all together new thread????

P.S : reason i am suggesting is
- It defeats the purpose of sticky
- Many SME(Subject Matter Experts) visit the sticky and keep adding latest information which may have already answered your question
- You will get more prompt reply from the experts....

He meant that LCA MK1 uses the GE 404 engine, which is a derivate of the engine in older Gripens, but only the Gripen NG prototype proved SC. It uses the GE 414 engine with nearly 10kN more dry thrust and this engine is only under evaluation for LCA MK2.

I by no means know about this stuff however what i have learned in this forum is that

Fine
- Engine alone does not dictate the speed of AC....

That I know... that's the reason for my surpise.

- AC design(shape, wings etc), payload and other factors comes into picture...

Most probable culprit;)

As far as Tejas is concerned then we have a sticky dedicated to it...Any reason you are not using it and creating all together new thread????

Yep, I thought over that, but the constant news and other issues distract the thread from the point I would like to discuss.

P.S : reason i am suggesting is
- It defeats the purpose of sticky
- Many SME(Subject Matter Experts) visit the sticky and keep adding latest information which may have already answered your question
- You will get more prompt reply from the experts....

I appreciate that, but more often, ther will be lack of follow, as more than I subject/issues of LCA will be discussed.

About the "experts", whover the species is, may also get to notice and contribute.

Hope Mod will merge this thread with sticky (if there is need) after it done its purpose.

but the same engine is in Gripen supercruising

This only shows your knowledge in subject matter.

General Electric F-404 with 85KTN of Thrust is a decent Engine.
Since sheer amount of Composite materials are being used in Tejas and it is a design based on Mirage it should fly at least mach 1.8 fast.

All i can think of is the Design flaws can cause such an issue or extended weight.

Give you an example.

Thunder Prototype 2.

Thunder Production Air craft.

See the difference in Air intakes , the Second Photo has Divert less supersonic intakes where as the Prototype has conventional intakes much like F-4 Phantom.

The Fastest Speed of the Prototype recorded was Mach 1.6 but the Production air craft has a speed of mach 1.8 with the same engine but DSI intakes and major design changes in the air frame.

Maybe Tejas needs some fundamental and radical design changes in its air frame.

Regards: BB

Hi, there is significant difference between "Acceleration" and "Top Speed".

Any comment on this issue without further clarification from IAF or ADA will only be speculative.

Hi, there is significant difference between "Acceleration" and "Top Speed".

Any comment on this issue without further clarification from IAF or ADA will only be speculative.

Well , the lack of Acceleration effects the Response of the aircraft in real time its can be suicidal for the pilot in a dogfight.

I dont think there is any issue with F-404 as Gripen and Hornets have used them over the years . It is a one hell of a powerful engine , there must be some flaws in the Plane design wise or be it some technical errors.

Gripen using Volvo Aero RM12 engine.

with the thrust to weight ratio, it can go upto mach 2, they have just not tested it to a mach 2+ speed,remember the comment about the speed is not made by DRDO but some corrupt IAF guy,a!!hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom