What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2009/11/order-for-2nd-tejas-squadron-being.html

The Indian Air Force is taking a crucial step towards accepting the indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) as a replacement for its ageing MiG-21 fighters. Senior air force officers have told Business Standard that the IAF is ordering a second Tejas squadron (20 aircraft), in addition to the 20 fighters that are already on order.

Mr Ashok Nayak, the Chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, which will manufacture the Tejas, has confirmed this development. “The MoD tender for 20 additional Tejas fighters is on track”, he told Business Standard. “After it is issued, we will sit down with the MoD, and negotiate a price.”

The order for a second squadron is a vital expression of IAF confidence in the future of the long-running Tejas programme. So far, the IAF had insisted on evaluating the performance of the first squadron before ordering a second, by around 2015-2016. That would also allow the Tejas to be upgraded to the Tejas Mark II, which would have a new, more powerful, engine. But now, with its fighter fleet dwindling as the old MiG-21s are retired, the IAF is taking the Tejas as it is.

“The Tejas, even with its current GE-404 engine, is a better fighter than the MiG-21”, explains a senior IAF officer who is familiar with equipment policy; “by 2015, the first Tejas squadron will be ready for the IAF. HAL’s assembly line will be free; while the Tejas Mark II finishes testing, HAL can build a second squadron with the GE-404 engine.”

So far, the plan was to produce 12 twin-seater Tejas trainers after the first squadron was built. The new order will be for 18 single-seater and 2 twin-seater Tejas: exactly what equips a fighter squadron.

Here’s why the IAF urgently needs that second squadron: Against a sanctioned requirement of 39.5 squadrons (each squadron has 21 fighters), the IAF is now down to just 32 squadrons. By 2015, another six squadrons of MiG-21s and two squadrons of MiG-27s would have finished their service lives. Meanwhile, HAL is manufacturing Sukhoi-30MKIs, but the current production is just 14 per year. The mathematics is clear: by 2015, the IAF will have just 29 squadrons of fighters.

Making this shortfall even more worrisome, is the new requirement of five IAF squadrons for north-east India, as a result of an increased threat assessment from China. Senior IAF officers have recently declared that India actually needs 45 squadrons.

In this context that the IAF cannot wait to induct the Tejas as the next light fighter, a role that the MiG-21 has long performed. Medium fighters are as urgently needed, and the IAF is currently evaluating six aircraft for this role. But the new Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA), even if the contract is placed expeditiously, is unlikely to enter service before 2015-16. Only in the heavy fighter segment is the IAF well placed, with the superlative Sukhoi-30MKI steadily joining the fleet.

The Tejas is currently undergoing weapons trials to obtain its Initial Operational Clearance, most likely by early 2011. Then starts the two-year process for obtaining Final Operational Clearance, after which it can enter service in early 2013. Then, if HAL can deliver 10 Tejas fighters per year, the first squadron will be ready by end 2014. And, if all of that goes smoothly, the second Tejas squadron will join the IAF by end-2016.

The IAF has decided that No 45 Squadron, which operated MiG-21M fighters until they were recently retired, will be the first Tejas squadron. It will be based in Sulur, near Coimbatore. It is still unclear where the second Tejas squadron will be based.

Will be great if some of the senior members can throw some light on this? If so then why are we ordering the engines now? i.e. if the induction or production of Tejas will only start happening in 2013 and we will start getting the engines by 2012? then why wont we just produce the MK2 version?

Sorry?

What foul language?
Labeling as 'retard' somebody whom I barely know, is using foul langauge for me. May be its not for you.
There was no need to use that word when replying.

And its guys like you who just keep taking nonsense from people and thats why these guys come into threads and talk nonsense! I agree but then again there needs to be a time when you put your foot down.

How much more do you want to listen from no good people?

Cmon man, if we won't stand up for ourselves no one else will!

:cheers:

Yes. Everytime you reply in anger will only feed the troll and encourage them further. Ignore them or answer them sensibly is the only way to stop them. Instead you brought in offtopic issues, which will only give more fodder for the trolls to derail the thread altogether.
I don't accept your contention that not replying to troll posts is accepting the BS. Ultimately what happens in these threads doesn't make a single paisa of difference in the real world, except increasing your stress levels. Chill bro. :cheers:

Don't reply the troll...more you reply more they post...if you don't reply hardly they post 4 or 5 times and they will go..that will be better solution...

yep.. right.. just say 'aal eej waell' 4-5 times and move on. :rofl:
The trolls will rant a few more times, get bored with themselves and move on.
every reply in ager for a troll post is feeding the trolls. Sensible reply or simple ignore is a big :tdown: for them...

wat to do yaar....the Brain says ignore the troll..but the heart says give them back some @ZZ WH00pinG...nd unfortunately majority of the Indians listen to their heart more than their head. :devil::devil:

Yes. thats true too. We Indian are emotional people. Especially when it comes to issues of national honor. But there are more important things in life than these forums. Better to listen to the brain and keep a level head. Just tap your chest a few times and say 'aal iej wael'.:):azn:

Just because of troll... Justin Joseph's thread (where we were suggesting name for LCH) was closed :hitwall: :hitwall: :hitwall:

I really don't want that this thread will meet the same fate... Please guys be sensible and

DO NOT REPLY TO TROLLS :tup:

EVEN IF YOU ARE REPLYING... DO NOT QUOTE A TROLL :D

Its a shame actually that IAF took so long to order even two squadrons as if they are still in doubt of LCA project's future. LCA is now at such stage where IAF can safely order 6 squadrons. This investment will improve production speed as well as give a big boost to confidence of LCA team. Also this will convince DRDO to invest more into LCA programme, otherwise LCA will die just like Arjun, a success but tiny orders.

This lethargy of IAF to push or support Indian R&D is very visible. A large part of Indian defense budget is unutilized and has been returned to Finance ministry. Its a shame that they couldn't invest some of it in futuristic R&D related to LCA-MKI or MKII.

US airforce is famous for its heavy funding across universities for future weapon systems and studies.

What Indian Airforce is famous for? For paying 50 visits each year, to foreign weapons companies and funding studies to discuss "imported" toys.

IAF will never improve its vision and will always remain dependent on imported toys.

More pics of the chopper

LCH+New+3-723160.jpg

LCH+New+1-725266.jpg

LCH+New+2-724280.jpg

LCH+New+4-726476.jpg

Congrats to the team of HAL for the achievement!!

Its a shame actually that IAF took so long to order even two squadrons as if they are still in doubt of LCA project's future. LCA is now at such stage where IAF can safely order 6 squadrons. This investment will improve production speed as well as give a big boost to confidence of LCA team. Also this will convince DRDO to invest more into LCA programme, otherwise LCA will die just like Arjun, a success but tiny orders.

This lethargy of IAF to push or support Indian R&D is very visible. A large part of Indian defense budget is unutilized and has been returned to Finance ministry. Its a shame that they couldn't invest some of it in futuristic R&D related to LCA-MKI or MKII.

US airforce is famous for its heavy funding across universities for future weapon systems and studies.

What Indian Airforce is famous for? For paying 50 visits each year, to foreign weapons companies and funding studies to discuss "imported" toys.

IAF will never improve its vision and will always remain dependent on imported toys.

I would plead you to not judge any party without knowing the ground realities. Without such kowledge, our assumptions often lead us onto harbouring wrong notions. Who or what all is at fault is a complex question with no "right answers" from us common folk. We can never understand the workings of the armed forces from the narrow lenses we afford being outsiders. Blaming the entire air force is taking it a bit too far.

just my humble opinion!

^^^,

enough is enough.saying words,calling names wont bring any good.

If people blame LCA for the delay ,at the same time, they should have to blame the babus for the root cause in not promoting the proper R & D investment.Even till today we gotta have to pack our aero engines to russia for high altitude testing.

People might say that DRDO was an established R &D organisation, but its not fully developed. There were so many things that delay a program and that too leap froging to a 4.5 gen fighter like LCA is no ordinary goal.
I bet if you can ask your kid who just born to run? But the indian military did while considering the final time frames. Both the IAf and DRDO does know that LCA is going to be a learn and build program while weaponising the forces once the objective is achieved. If people swear on looking at the 3rd world meadia reportings, then I should say that, they are no brainers.

DRDO kept its promises by developing a high end sophisticated 4.5 gen fighter.And its not over yet. The real game will start with the first tranche aka LCA-MKII.

Being frank, no one ever expected what would be the final MKII config would be? But I promise it is going to be way over the fan boy expectations.

I fear that I might have to spill some beans here and there.LCA-MKII with new engine and new radars( mind the numbering) and new EW suite will be no way less than the top notch 4.5+ gen fighters flying today.
It will be pissing the enemy with its utter low RCS that no other below 5th gen fighter posses.Do I mind saying that MKII is utilising the technologies developed in house for AMCA?Yes I do.

LCA-N will feature so many wonderful avionic and surface tracking and targetting systems which for the first time ever been developed in the country that are even comparable or exceed the capabilities of similar systems from the west.

AWACS and Samyuktha programs offered so many spin-offs that can be integrated on the current and future aircrafts including the long range IRST developed from a civilian program.

All in all,even if DRDO promise that LCA-MKII can be inducted by 2015, take it with positive spirit-because it will still be comparable to the aircraft we will be inducting then aka MRCA.

^^^,

enough is enough.saying words,calling names wont bring any good.

If people blame LCA for the delay ,at the same time, they should have to blame the babus for the root cause in not promoting the proper R & D investment.Even till today we gotta have to pack our aero engines to russia for high altitude testing.

People might say that DRDO was an established R &D organisation, but its not fully developed. There were so many things that delay a program and that too leap froging to a 4.5 gen fighter like LCA is no ordinary goal.
I bet if you can ask your kid who just born to run? But the indian military did while considering the final time frames. Both the IAf and DRDO does know that LCA is going to be a learn and build program while weaponising the forces once the objective is achieved. If people swear on looking at the 3rd world meadia reportings, then I should say that, they are no brainers.

DRDO kept its promises by developing a high end sophisticated 4.5 gen fighter.And its not over yet. The real game will start with the first tranche aka LCA-MKII.

Being frank, no one ever expected what would be the final MKII config would be? But I promise it is going to be way over the fan boy expectations.

I fear that I might have to spill some beans here and there.LCA-MKII with new engine and new radars( mind the numbering) and new EW suite will be no way less than the top notch 4.5+ gen fighters flying today.
It will be pissing the enemy with its utter low RCS that no other below 5th gen fighter posses.Do I mind saying that MKII is utilising the technologies developed in house for AMCA?Yes I do.

LCA-N will feature so many wonderful avionic and surface tracking and targetting systems which for the first time ever been developed in the country that are even comparable or exceed the capabilities of similar systems from the west.

AWACS and Samyuktha programs offered so many spin-offs that can be integrated on the current and future aircrafts including the long range IRST developed from a civilian program.

All in all,even if DRDO promise that LCA-MKII can be inducted by 2015, take it with positive spirit-because it will still be comparable to the aircraft we will be inducting then aka MRCA.

Hope what you say is true mate... Cynicism will get us nowhere.

Jai Hind

we had already tested this isz very old news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom