What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

CZZ3AOnVAAAXaiO.jpg

Something interesting
Credit to the original poster again

Left side- LCA 2011, Rt side LCA 2016 In Bahrain LCA goes beyond top of loop in less than 9 sec which is the 2011 time
lca11-1612fps_zps9kkg22uz.gif

maximum speed? supersonic at all altitudes... :laughcry:

I know there expert's which suggested principal including here on PDF
The main reason you don't see tailless delta wings on fighter jets is that this wing shape tends to bleed off lots of energy in a turn, and good turn performance is very important for fighter jets.

What I'm stating is
LCA is a compound delta wing aircraft
Compound Delta is used to create high-lift vortex and reduce drag. Although use of canards and control surfaces like Dassault Rafale and EF Typhoon can provide other variations too.

At the beginning Delta wing is experimented on high speed supersonic aircraft to achieve more stability during supersonic flight. But this causes instability in subsonic speed i.e below MacH.Generally Pure Delta configuration is preferred for designing Aircraft with supersonic Interceptor role. But as generation advanced Interceptors are no more required and what we call as Multi-role or Swing-role fighter comes into view. So pure Delta configuration idea is dropped out instead Compound delta(LCA) and Canard-delta(Rafale or Eurofighter)is used now-a-days.

The matter of Fact is tail-less delta doesn't provide enough lift and sufficient stability at lower mach or subsonic speed which is very important in dogfight. But it can be compensated by providing a compound delta configuration. The best example is HAL Tejas, which is a tail-less delta but with Compound delta configuration

Here you can do analysis on link given below

Fluid Mechanics Applications/A02: Delta Wing Aircraft Aerodynamics - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

THey are self propelled Ground Power Units (GPUs)

aa4.jpg

Modern jet engines have onboard starters and should be able to start with no external aids.

So why GPUs are always there with LCAs? Does it mean it cannot start autonomously. If yes, it raises a big question about LCA's deployment. Such GPU are never seen with other modern jets like F16, J10 or JF17

So why GPUs are always there with LCAs? Does it mean it cannot start autonomously. If yes, it raises a big question about LCA's deployment. Such GPU are never seen with other modern jets like F16, J10 or JF17

Not sure why it was there.. Back up ?

I am sure it even passed cold test in LEH.

Lol, chill brother. It is nothing like that.

Between the F404 (which has its own Jet Fuel Starter (JFS) ) and the APU/EPU, the LCA can easily operate autonomously- and has to be able to do as per all established military requirements. The usage of the GPU by HAL for the LCA may just be because they want to save jet fuel (that the APU uses) or some other logistical reason. Don't read too much into it.

Perhaps these just stick out to you because they are yellow (since they are HAL's), the military's (in green) may just stick out less and thus you think you see them more with the LCA:

071_8249ww5.jpg

mcdonnell-douglas-f-15-strike-eagle-air-to-ground-attack-aircraft-a5c78r.jpg

JO3C_F16_Portugal.JPG

Last edited:
Lol, chill brother. It is nothing like that.

Between the F404 (which has its own Jet Fuel Starter (JFS) ) and the APU/EPU, the LCA can easily operate autonomously- and has to be able to do as per all established military requirements. The usage of the GPU by HAL for the LCA may just be because they want to save jet fuel (that the APU uses) or some other logistical reason. Don't read too much into it.

Perhaps these just stick out to you because they are yellow (since they are HAL's), the military's (in green) may just stick out less and thus you think you see them more with the LCA:

071_8249ww5.jpg

mcdonnell-douglas-f-15-strike-eagle-air-to-ground-attack-aircraft-a5c78r.jpg

JO3C_F16_Portugal.JPG

I know all jets have them but It is very unusual to see such engine starters for short deployments and for that matter one for each aircraft. This is something unique to LCA and It shows that it has a very big logistics tail and and its maintenance hog. For its first outgoing, whats happening on the ground is telling more about the LCA then what we see in the sky. I have gone through thousands of pictures of Jf17 and saw only one with a GPU but all parked LCA have GPUs. For other modern aircraft they seems to be an exception but a must for LCA.

Last edited:
but It is very unusual to see such engine starters
It's not an engine starter!

short deployments
Lenght of deployment is irrelevent

and for that matter one for each aircraft
In the pictures I have shown it is always 1 per a/c- this is the SOP

This is something unique to LCA
Nope.
shows that it has a very big logistics tail and and its maintenance hog
Nope.

For its first outgoing, whats happening on the ground is telling more about the LCA then what we see in the sky.
Cool story. More like seeing what you want to see.

I have gone through thousands of pictures of Jf17 and saw only one with a GPU but all parked LCA have GPUs. For other modern aircraft they seems to be an exception but a must for LCA.
Right. Somehow India's fighter jet is unique in aviation history and goes against all established trends? An American (and proven engine) with an inbuilt JFS and the Indian APU are somehow now uniquely insufficent? Please.

These are all prototypes and hence being papmered by their mechanics- they will have scores of technicans per plane (much more than in operational units) and this is so that every niggle is addressed and faults kept to a minimum. There is a reason the LCA's test program is near issue free.

That said, the LCA has also proven itself in all climates to operate free from issue. The ADA designed an entirely new JFS in colloboration with GE for the F404 purely for starting unaided in extreme cold tempratures such as in Leh.

9eWndpT.jpg

Please stop clutching at straws and don't you worry about the LCA's operations ;)

It's not an engine starter!

Lenght of deployment is irrelevent

In the pictures I have shown it is always 1 per a/c- this is the SOP

Nope.

Nope.

Cool story. More like seeing what you want to see.

Right. Somehow India's fighter jet is unique in aviation history and goes against all established trends? An American (and proven engine) with an inbuilt JFS and the Indian APU are somehow now uniquely insufficent? Please.

These are all prototypes and hence being papmered by their mechanics- they will have scores of technicans per plane (much more than in operational units) and this is so that every niggle is addressed and faults kept to a minimum. There is a reason the LCA's test program is near issue free.

That said, the LCA has also proven itself in all climates to operate free from issue. The ADA designed an entirely new JFS in colloboration with GE for the F404 purely for starting unaided in extreme cold tempratures such as in Leh.

9eWndpT.jpg

Please stop clutching at straws and don't you worry about the LCA's operations ;)

I am not an aviation expert, but I all the pictures I see of parked LCA have these big GPUs or whatever you call them, but I rarely see them with other modern jets including JF17 so there is something really different which is unique to the Tejas and despite your long response above it points to only one conclusion that LCA is either a maintenance hog or it is far away from being operational. Just reinforces the general view including that of the IAF about the Tejas.

Last edited:
I know all jets have them but It is very unusual to see such engine starters for short deployments and for that matter one for each aircraft. This is something unique to LCA and It shows that it has a very big logistics tail and and its maintenance hog. For its first outgoing, whats happening on the ground is telling more about the LCA then what we see in the sky. I have gone through thousands of pictures of Jf17 and saw only one with a GPU but all parked LCA have GPUs. For other modern aircraft they seems to be an exception but a must for LCA.
Tejas is there in Bahrain since last 7-8 days and performed number of sorties( daily) so of course they will need some them.

Tejas is there in Bahrain since last 7-8 days and performed number of sorties( daily) so of course they will need some them.

Back
Top Bottom