HAL issues RFI for Engines topower RTA regional aircraft

fsayed

Reaction score
Country
India
HAL issues RFI for Engines to power RTA regional aircraft | idrw.org

HAL issues RFI for Engines topower RTA regional aircraft | idrw.org
HAL issues RFI for Engines to power RTA regional aircraft | idrw.org 3/6
HAL one of the main partner in development of India’s first Regional Transport Aircraft (RTA) has recently issued
Request for Information ( RFI) to Major Engine Manufacturers to provide information on engines to power a Civilian
aircraft project with seating capacity of 75 to 100 seater aircraft .
HAL and NAL were tasked in 2010 by Government of India to build India’s first Regional Transport Aircraft (RTA),
India plans to build a twin turboprop and a twin turbofan variant based on same platform and later plans to built
stretched and a bigger aircraft. According to RFI issued by HAL , they will require 10 engines for Prototype aircraft,
which they plan to build and test by 2017 and in long term may require 1000 engines in future requirements .
HAL and NAL plans to build around 500 aircrafts for both Civilian and Military market and Indian civilian and military
market will be where they are targeting major sales . In recent media reports there has been talks that India will develop
a Military transport aircraft based on RTA .
NAL didn’t want to take easy route by using existing RTA aircrafts as a base for development of India’s RTA aircrafts
. NAL repeatedly has said that current generation of RTA have design limitations and do not meet requirements of
higher fuel efficiency, short landing and take-off capability, and the ability to transport cargo.
HAL has already entered into a joint venture with Irkut Corporation of Russia to develop and make 60-tonne multi-role
transport aircraft (MRTA). Under the pact, Ilyushin Design Bureau of Russia will design the MRTA, and HAL and Irkut
will manufacture it in Kanpur

RTA%20model%201.JPG

India steadily rising in aerospace. Private players needed more.

Is this RFI given to Indian pvt companies?

Otherwise its of no use. Same old importing of critical parts.

Is this RFI given to Indian pvt companies?

Otherwise its of no use. Same old importing of critical parts.

The RFI has been sent to Major Manufacturers of Aero Engines. Is there any such mfg. in the Indian Pvt. Sector?

The RFI has been sent to Major Manufacturers of Aero Engines. Is there any such mfg. in the Indian Pvt. Sector?

TATA owns one third stake in Piaggio Aero. Well this can be an opportunity for the TATA's to establish themselves more here, besides Mahindra Aerospace wont be a bad choice either.

TATA owns one third stake in Piaggio Aero. Well this can be an opportunity for the TATA's to establish themselves more here, besides Mahindra Aerospace wont be a bad choice either.

Do any of them make AERO-ENGINES ?
The RFI is for the Engines.

Yes, they do not make, but till now no body has asked them to. I mean a private player cannot just spend money to design an Aero Engine if there is no requirement. Govt. has never encouraged the private players. But in this case if the RFI will include private players who can also have joint venture with foreign companies, may be they can participate in the tender and if selected will also absorb the technology!!

cant we use kaveri engine for this purpose i mean though it is a jet engine it was tested to fly il 76 aircraft ... if it can fly il 76 then it should have no prob flying rta with some modifications.....

could anyone clarify this doubt ??? i am a novice in technical subjects.....:undecided:

Redirect Notice

cant we use kaveri engine for this purpose i mean though it is a jet engine it was tested to fly il 76 aircraft ... if it can fly il 76 then it should have no prob flying rta with some modifications.....

could anyone clarify this doubt ??? i am a novice in technical subjects.....:undecided:

Redirect Notice

RTA requires a turboprop engine..BTW, Kaveri is a low bypass turbofan engine...

Yes, they do not make, but till now no body has asked them to. I mean a private player cannot just spend money to design an Aero Engine if there is no requirement. Govt. has never encouraged the private players. But in this case if the RFI will include private players who can also have joint venture with foreign companies, may be they can participate in the tender and if selected will also absorb the technology!!

No INDIAN manufacturer has the tech to make aero-engines; and no foreign manufacturer is willing to make a tie-up with any pvt Indian Co. to make aero-engines; not with TATA not with Mahindra not anybody. That tech is not easily shared now, nor in the near future. All the JVs can be for airframes etc at the most.

TATA owns one third stake in Piaggio Aero. Well this can be an opportunity for the TATA's to establish themselves more here.

Everything needs a Beginning and I see no reason why they would not take it up if you have an order of 500+ engines plus govt funding on the R&D..

No INDIAN manufacturer has the tech to make aero-engines; and no foreign manufacturer is willing to make a tie-up with any pvt Indian Co. to make aero-engines; not with TATA not with Mahindra not anybody. That tech is not easily shared now, nor in the near future. All the JVs can be for airframes etc at the most.

India has a pool of Quality engineers in establishments such as GTRE and HAL who have first hand experience handling projects like these and dont tell me the pvt players cannot own them.

I would be more interested in a tie up , just like Mahindra Aerospace with NAL.

India can do so much more in this filed if its resources are handled the way they ought to.

Exactly, if foreign co.s are not interested in JVs, at least Domestic Cos can tie up with PSUs to get the knowledge what the GTRE or NAL has gained and make improvement on those. See, Govt. can spend money even if the tech is not required but Private Cos cannot just fetter away their fund if there is no requirement. What about this? @Capt.Popeye

Every Private Aero Cos in the world develop their technology from Govt. support or from commerce driven thought (again support by the Govt.)

Everything needs a Beginning and I see no reason why they would not take it up if you have an order of 500+ engines plus govt funding on the R&D..

India has a pool of Quality engineers in establishments such as GTRE and HAL who have first hand experience handling projects like these and dont tell me the pvt players cannot own them.

I would be more interested in a tie up , just like Mahindra Aerospace with NAL.

India can do so much more in this filed if its resources are handled the way they ought to.

Exactly, if foreign co.s are not interested in JVs, at least Domestic Cos can tie up with PSUs to get the knowledge what the GTRE or NAL has gained and make improvement on those. See, Govt. can spend money even if the tech is not required but Private Cos cannot just fetter away their fund if there is no requirement. What about this? @Capt.Popeye

Every Private Aero Cos in the world develop their technology from Govt. support or from commerce driven thought (again support by the Govt.)

In order for India to produce such aircrafts and engines, India must start investing in its manufacturing structures and R&D. To achieve it, it is not an overnight task. It takes years and years of small steps.

Let's say, an India aero sector, be it government or private has come up with a workable engine design, does India has the knowhow to ,say, make a ballbearing for that engine that can withstand high revs, high heat that does not dry up or seize up, or leak. To make such a ball bearing, you need precision tools, manufacturing process and machinists. Let's say you have all those, do you have the metallurgical knowhow to produce such metal for the ball bearing and lubricants for that ball bearing.

This just one simple component. So even though India can make that engine, it still needs to source all these basic components from foreign countries if India cannot make these components in house.

I don't mean to say India must make every single parts itself.

India must be willing to spend money, time, training to achieve such goals. It is a long term process.

All the Best

Mahindra already owns a foreign Airplane company which produces 10 seater planes. But not sure if they produce engines.
I think its time DRDO and ISRO tap foreign talents like NASA, Boing, Lokheed Martin. We should conduct campus interviews in IIT, German and US universities.

Mahindra already owns a foreign Airplane company which produces 10 seater planes. But not sure if they produce engines.
I think its time DRDO and ISRO tap foreign talents like NASA, Boing, Lokheed Martin. We should conduct campus interviews in IIT, German and US universities.

Yes; Mahindra Aerospace bought out GAF in Australia and now makes the Nomad which is a GAF designed aircraft. Who makes the engine for it? Not Mahindra just as GAF did not. Google it and check that out.

Back
Top Bottom