What's new

Gwadar Port may be given to China

Whether its with Pakistan or with China, its a win-win situation for Pakistan as well as Balochistan, as in the end development will happen in Balochistan too. If CAS countries use the Afghanistan route, it will come through Quetta-Turbat-Gwadar section, thus it can benefit Balochistan to the maximum. Balochistan will automatically attract investment in whatever the situation is.

And as said before, saying it again, the article is talking about giving running rights of the Gwadar port, not something else. The post management is currently Singaporean company and they have not been doing the work as per agreement, thus it has hampered the development of the port resulting in less activity as was anticipated.

So if Chinese take it over, they will invest in the port more, make more infrastructure.

Do remember the port operations management with Chinese is necessary, as they need to earn also on the investment they would be doing. So this is normal practice, those companies or company which makes the port also gets the management for a certain period so that they can earn back the investment they have done and the profit on it. Pakistan will have its own share out of the revenues generated by the port operations, while the company operating the port will make its own share as it would have done the investment.

The article is not about military things, plus in near foreseeable future, there seems to be no military thing happening on this side, as neither is the Chinese Navy strong enough, for now they want to make themselves economically strong and for that having an easy access through Pakistan is most feasible and economical way. They have already started plans for widening the Karakoram Highway, as well as laying the railway line through Gilgit-Baltistan connecting the line in KP. While, Pakistan is working on the local Motorway section and building it with the time.

Good read: Motorways of Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here this map may give you an idea on how the process would work.

Pakistan_Nationalhighways.PNG

My thoughts, your words. This was exactly what i was trying to say but you elaborated it beautifully. :tup:

However, i wondered if there is any railway route to gwadar. I believe transit through railways has its own advantages over road transport as its faster, cheaper and causes less damage to the goods in transit.
I referred this page but of no use.

Pakistan Railways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pakistan_Railways_Network.png

Any information regarding railway facilities at Gwadar would be highly appreciated.

China imperialistic? I would say China is taking pre-emptive/cautionary actions against the imperialist country in the world, USA.

Besides, this makes so much economic and environmental sense. It is much more economic to transport things by rail. And it does not pollute as much. There's a myth that 16 super tankers pollute as much as the world's car fleet, although not true, they do pollute a lot.

Diversifying transport means makes also sense. The logistics market in its whole can segment the market between those who are willing to pay for express shipping, and those who are not.

You gotta laugh of those who believe that China will conquer other countries, really. Don't you think that if India or USA in a war against China easily could have bombed the railway?

India was not keen on the IPI pipeline due to security concerns which were extremely accurately and correctly judged by us. Have we really lost an opportunity there? I think not. The idea of the pipeline terminating in China is nothing new. Not a bad idea at all. One never knows what may happen to the pipeline especially in times of crisis. No one should blame us if, God forbid, anything happens to it. After all, we have been shouting about the security aspect from the beginning. Right?
Believe me if there is any sabotage by our neighbors.The reply won't be so funny.I can imagine neighbors going to US and crying about applying pressure on Pakistan etc and all that usual we will strike BS.We have plenty of targets in neighborhood to take care off if someone tries to be smart and you're aware we have the capability to strike!:cheers:

Believe me if there is any sabotage by our neighbors.The reply won't be so funny.I can imagine neighbors going to US and crying about applying pressure on Pakistan etc and all that usual we will strike BS.We have plenty of targets in neighborhood to take care off if someone tries to be smart and you're aware we have the capability to strike!:cheers:

if u r talking about ur nukes then its ok....otherwise ...leave it...with those highly superior conventional powers of urs....u cant even kill a fly here....leave about our plenty of targets

if u r talking about ur nukes then its ok....otherwise ...leave it...with those highly superior conventional powers of urs....u cant even kill a fly here....leave about our plenty of targets

Yeah dude we dont have any conventional power..... :no:
surgical strikes n b.s....

I heard the singaporean company wasnt managing the port as efficiently as they promised. On the flip side the saudi port management has been transferred from malaysian company to chinese and has been massive improvements over all.

Well, Gwadar was/is supposed to be a big revenue source for Pakistan. An alternate port for commerce should Karachi be shut down. A way to bring Baluchistan to the mainstream. A new city to invite tourism and help in better demographic pressure.
Chinese naval vessels were probably already present while PSA was running. I don't see how a proven port management authority like PSA could be worse than Chinese managing Gwadar.

Well, Gwadar was/is supposed to be a big revenue source for Pakistan. An alternate port for commerce should Karachi be shut down. A way to bring Baluchistan to the mainstream. A new city to invite tourism and help in better demographic pressure.
Chinese naval vessels were probably already present while PSA was running. I don't see how a proven port management authority like PSA could be worse than Chinese managing Gwadar.

I am surprised why Dubai Ports Management got any deal with Gwadar, after all they were prime contenders for NY Port and many US ports. As much as the "close relation" many pakistanis cliam, Dubai World is certainly one of the best.

Hi,

And I just wrote about this issue on the other thread.

The earlier part of this century was the best time to hand over this port to the chinese while they were building the project---meaning the port authority should have been selected before the cranes were up and going---.

Let the chinese handle and complete the project---connect transportation links in the form of rail and road networks---it should have been made as a package deal right after the afghan invasion---.

I believe that we spoke out about our plans a little too soon and too loud---with what we have---who we are going to party with---and who is going to be the key player.

The gulf of Hormuz and the arabian sea is U S navy's home turf---to get someone else inside of the circle would be like creating a coupe de grace aganist the might of the u s navy---.

Where there was an extremely narrow timeline of stringing the chinese along to take charge of the port---that oppurtunity had evaporated in thin air. Pakistan went through so much turmoil in the middle of the decade and paid a very heavy price---.

And this happened because my pak brethren had NO TACT in how to handle this situation.

Everybody who was somebody was bragging about how the chinese are going to take over gwadar---even on this board---all the members were talking bull---.

Here you are---you have a port that is going to completely change the power balance of the region if the chinese come in---as a matter of fact---it would compeltely turn the system upside down---and all you are doing is blowing your toot at the top of your lungs for all the world to hear you---telling everyone in the next hemisphere what your plans are---that how the chinese are going to come and take over and there wuld be a chinese naval base over here---and do what not---and indians can sc-rew themselves etc etc etc.

We even woke up the dead with our clamour---people who didnot want to be bothered by what we were doing or had turned away and let us do what we wanted to----we even got their attention---woke up the monster in slumber and put back the focus of the world right back on us.

People get mad and furious at me---when I say that pakistanis are not intelligent people at all---they are clever as hell---but intellectually they are slow as molasses---. Gwadar is one good example of that.

For india it will be a nightmare because indians see China as a threat, while for Pakistan China is the most trusted ally, not only seen as the most trusted ally from the GoP but also from the PoP (People of Pakistan).

Chinese Naval bases in South Asian countries will make indians piss in their pajamas.

Whatever works against india's national interest, works best for Pakistan's national interest.

:pakistan::china:

It is with this immature attitude pakistan supported taliban and armed insugency and it is paying for it and it is about pay in the days to come. :sniper:

We need a strong millitary man in Pakistan to do that.Democracy is too fragile for that kind of major foriegn policy change besides China does not have much confidence in current Government of Pakistan (Rightfully so) They liked Musharraf better.

We need a strong millitary man in Pakistan to do that.Democracy is too fragile for that kind of major foriegn policy change besides China does not have much confidence in current Government of Pakistan (Rightfully so) They liked Musharraf better.

What is the factual basis for this?

Hopes remain alive in Gwadar
By Amir Mateen

GWADAR: The Gwadar Port was ambushed by a rocket attack this Sunday but the news went generally unnoticed in the Pakistan media. One reason was that the rocket fell short of a ship parked in the docks; nobody got injured, no damage was done to the Port. Uninterrupted, the country remained busy in Eid celebrations.

This may just explain Balochistan’s dilemma. Islamabad betrays a nonchalant disregard for the threats faced by these distant but strategically important outposts. The rocket attack on the upcoming second biggest Port of Pakistan may just indicate a possibility of accelerated action. More so because the Gwadar Port is about to shift gears after its command is, most likely, given to the Chinese in near future. Ironically, a rocket that is available in the border wastelands of Balochistan for as low as 50 dollars can threaten the prospects of a billion dollar project that is crucial to the global energy politics. A similar rocket attack, a failed one again, on the only five-star hotel in town halved its occupancy last month. In another related incident, two policemen got injured when they were attacked by gun fire while they were on a routine patrol during Eid holidays in Gwadar city.

Such sporadic happenings have a way of impacting public psyche even when the physical damage may not be much. And this might be the exact intention of the saboteurs in Balochistan. Local PPP intellectual, Rahim Zafar, aptly said that the scale of sporadic incidents may not be much, say in comparisons to earlier cycles of violence in the province, but it has definitely shattered the local nerves. The reasons for the chaos in Gwadar are no different from the rest of Balochistan. Besides the over-arching feelings of economic deprivation and political alienation, the larger issue is bad governance.

Journalist Robert Kaplan rightly points out that Islamabad’s attitude towards Balochistan is similar to how cowboys treated Native Americans in the wild West. Not a single culprit has ever been caught in about a dozen target killings in the last 14 months. DPO Abdul Ghafoor, a police ranker like former DSP Chief Minister Aslam Raisani, brags more about his being a cousin of the ‘kingmaker’ Provincial Minister Asim Kurd and less about his work.

A political vacuum exists as the popular parties boycotted the last elections and MNA Yaqoob Bizenjo hardly comes to the area. Stories of corruption in transfers and postings, smuggling through permits and licenses abound.

Unfortunately, Gwadar is uniquely placed in Balochistan for its political awareness, culture of tolerance and grass root politics. Many agree that it is one place in the province which is, in relative terms, curable. The timing may be ripe for that.

Dr Allah Nazar of the separatist Balochistan Liberation Front (BLF) holds a certain influence in Gwadar, particularly among its student cadres. But the murder of former Nazim Maula Baksh Dasti, which was owned by the BLF, has caused resentment against the separatists. Mekran politics, unlike the sardari system in Balochistan, rests on its intellect and humanism. Recently, a son of local politician, Shaukat Punjabi, was killed and almost most political parties participated in a joint protest. This is different from the rest of Balochistan where most Punjabis killings are not condoled or compensated. The free-spirited Mekranis love their music which is more attuned to Arabian beats than Indian ragas, the Gwadar fish and, most important, football. All of this is discussed on roadside cafes followed by no-holds-barred political discussion. Their collective interests remain focal point of their discourse. For instance, the ancestral fishing, from which the word Mekrani (meaning mahikhor) comes, recently came into conflict with the ever bustling smuggling trade. Gwadar, the whole region for that matter, thrives on smuggling of oil, CNG and tar coal from Iran largely through fishing trawlers. Oil spills during unloading spoils the fish harbour. Local fishermen are in revolt against the smuggling mafia which, by the way, has been an equal part of the local culture.

The same business concern makes the development of Gwadar and its port attractive for them, provided that their political concerns are addressed. Academic Kiran Chowdry quotes a local in her recent thesis, saying that “we don’t want be like those animals in a zoo that people from Punjab will come to watch in our homeland.”
Political activist agrees that the development of Gwadar is “a win-win situation; who does not want progress, we want our children to go to better schools and eat better food.” Each ship brings about 500 trucks for unloading which roughly means the involvement of 1500 persons. The Port can cater to only three ships simultaneously. “Gwadar at its maximum will require a whole city to provide labour to the shipping trade,” says GPA Director Shafi Mohammad. “The government pays extra for every truck because the trucks have to first go east towards Karachi before turning north.”

Experts believe Gwadar will become viable only when the linking road or railway are established, the foremost being the completion of Highway M8, which links the port city to Ratto Dero via Turbat, Pajngoor and Khuzdar.

Some locals suspect that the mafias in Karachi and Islamabad have deliberately delayed because “they do not want a cut in commissions from the KPT”.

All hopes rest on the Chinese takeover of the Port. Locals hope that the new administration might also fulfil the promise of building a modern ship harbour. “Our tuna goes to Iran for packaging and is then sold in Mekran,” said Rahim Zafar. “The banned trawlers from Karachi and Iran are stripping our fishing fields dry as they hunt in bredding seasons also.”

Others hope that a new deal has to be finalised for a fairer division of resources. All those plots grabbed by politician, bureaucrats, particularly in the picturesque Sanghar Scheme should be cancelled. The Navy should be forced to vacate the extra land on the see front and the army too kept to its limit. Land deals in Gwadar are a mess.

“The 10,000 acres available in Gwadar have been sold ten times over,” said DCO Pasand Khan Buledi. Former President Pervez Musharraf ganged up with a mafia that included the then provincial government to distribute prime land among cronies for pennies. “A judicial probe should be conducted before new rules are formed,” opines Editor Huma Ali. “Gwadar remains as great as ever but it’s just the class of rulers that has changed.” More prophetic words there cannot be.

One can hear the drum beats of Alexander’s army marching back from India from Gwadar shores; hear the hooves of Mohammad Qasim’s camels or the fluttering of Portugese masts that sailed here 500 years ago. The people of Gwadar still use the techniques to build dhows that they learnt from the Greeks, Arabs or the Portugese. Will someone lead them to a shade of modernity.

Hopes remain alive in Gwadar

Who said anything about neighbours? Your countrymen are excellent at sabotaging one another. If the NATO convoys and the containers are not safe in the primary non NATO strategic ally of the US of A, how secure can a thousand mile long pipeline that runs through some of the baddest and roughest terrains in the world be?

Back
Top Bottom