What's new

Gurkhaland Movement

captain Maximo

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
This has been bothering me for a while. Can India grant a separate Gurkha land state as there is the sugauli treaty and the annex country law in the UN charter ? Also why don't the Gurkhaland movement people use the Sugauli treaty to ask for a seperate state with in india ?

This has been bothering me for a while. Can India grant a separate Gurkha land state as there is the sugauli treaty and the annex country law in the UN charter ? Also why don't the Gurkhaland movement people use the Sugauli treaty to ask for a seperate state with in india ?
The Sugauli treaty was superseded by another treaty in 1923 between Britain and Nepal. That new one was also rendered null and void in 1950, when the Republic of India and Nepal signed a new treaty as independent countries, and started fresh relations btween the two. So whatever deals have to be struck between India and Nepal, will have to be done under te auspices of the treaty of 1950, not under the defunct Sugauli treaty signed between the British East India Company and the Nepali king, since neither of those institutions exist today.

The Sugauli treaty was superseded by another treaty in 1923 between Britain and Nepal. That new one was also rendered null and void in 1950, when the Republic of India and Nepal signed a new treaty as independent countries, and started fresh relations btween the two. So whatever deals have to be struck between India and Nepal, will have to be done under te auspices of the treaty of 1950, not under the defunct Sugauli treaty signed between the British East India Company and the Nepali king, since neither of those institutions exist today.
thanks I did not know that

IF it is granted you will be fighting illegal Bangladeshis and they will over whelm you.

If any supporter of the Gorkhaland movement is here, will you please specify the reasons as to why a separate state is necessary for Gurkhas ?

After Modi coming to power in centre, there is a hope for a speperate Gurkhaland state now. Hope he will resolve it peacefully in next 5 years.

I see the creation of Bodoland happening before Gurkhaland.Personally I fell that GOI should give green light to it as it will reduce the illegal BD menace in NE states to a great extent.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom