What's new

Gujarat plans world’s tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel

Waste of money ,,,:tdown:

Better invest in building Hospital or top class Universities under name of Sardar VallaBhai patel.

but much better than making her own statue like mayavati..
A hospital with a modest statue will also work but I can't criticise this move also because countries around the world doesn't wait to fulfill all the needs of people to build a statue..I guess we need to spend some amount of money for unproductive yet important aspects also.

I Received an Infraction for the Above comment from the webmaster....& the reason is below,,,

Please improve your post quality and writing style.

Biased loosers,,,,

Follow the rules or get banned. You currently write like a 15 year old.

Very cheap trick of Modi Instead of statue we need his teachings reaching every where.

And modi want to beg every home for iron nails is a prof of his cheap mind and cheap level.

Its a proof that he is just doing it for publicity and politics. :tdown:

Let me give another longer perspective...

First it is a political decision from Modi to invogarate a proud and nationalist spirit in Gujarat which might help him in upcoming elections as we all know how much we all have heard and seen gandhi bapu and other gandhi's on airports, roads, notes and other buildings. There is a unseen grudge (might be wrong word but not recollecting right word) in Gujarat about lack of Sardar Patel's glorification in reverence to work he did. For some indians and pakistanis, Sardar was the first choice as PM of India by Congress but gandhi jee was reluctant as he was from Gujarat and would show that he favoured another gujarati. (I might be wrong and stand corrected)

Another larger picture is related to tourism and area development which is one of the very strong reasons. You need to visit the Sardar sarovar dam to get the natural beauty and surroundings. People in gujarat have started using this place as a one day picnic spot. This statue could significantly increase the attractiveness of the place. Also the area around the dam which is not that developed and is still considered backward could greatly benefit.

In shorter duration there is cost but if you amortize it over say 20 or 30 yrs may be longer, the costs are nothing.. I dont know how longer the statue of liberty has been..

there is no such unseen grudge. And bapu and sardar are both sons of India, every Indian whether Gjarati or not looks at them with the reverence they deserve.

The presence of leaders like Sardar Patel is what made India such a strong political unit, with undivided unity to the nation state, instead of multiple loyalties and power centers. Professing an ideological commitment is very different from nation building, and that is what made the difference between India and Pakistan post independence. Why democratic institutions flourished in India despite such ethnic and cultural and linguistic and religious diversity. But not in Pakistan, where a state religion was expected to unify the nation. Throughout the independence movement, we had freedom fighters who traversed the length and breadth of the country, and political parties (national or state level) that sprung from the native soil. People's power was represented through politicians and elected representatives, and not through the barrel of a gun.

Post independence, for the first time in centuries/millennia, the citizens of all the hundreds of princely states gave up their old allegiance to their kingdoms, and adopted a new allegiance to their state and country. Rajputs and marathas and nizams and nawabs all decided to live as one political unit. That is a major accomplishment, perhaps unparalleled anywhere else in the world, given the sort of diversity we have. Sardar patel personally went from king to king, giving them an offer they could not refuse - integrate peacefully with a nice retirement pension, or be annexed forcefully by the Indian army. All the kings and princes knew better than to resist the changing times, or battle the new idea who's time had come - a united republic, as opposed to archaic monarchies.

Besides, he modeled a system of pan-Indian government service, which we still follow today. (The IAF, IFS and IPS.) That, among other similar measures, helped forged a, overarching, pan-Indian identity.

Only a few people on earth can boast the accomplishments of Sardar Patel.

But that being said, 300 million dollars is a helluva lot of taxpayers' money to be spent in building a statue. A better tribute to him would be to build a power plant or hydroelectric dam or hospital or industrial unit or university in his name, which enriches the country further, and is not a monetarily unproductive asset.

His UNBELIVEABLE poltical skills have little equal. Said princely kingdoms were never ready to give up their turfs- on many occasions he'd just call thm for lunch and by the time the lunch was done, the job would be done (have no f**ing clue how he did that). A hilarious aspect of his career career was when Mountbatten took charge and he tried to bully him (and MB threatened to quit). he had the exceptional judgement to not disband that british civil services and instead in one single address to them won them over (& created the Indian civil service). I agree, a statue is not needed.

I personally think his political accomplishments are greater than Bismarck's

What is greater - unifying a (relatively) small country like Germany, with one race and one language and a homogenous culture and religion or a region like India, with hundreds of those? Look at the diversity of India and the homogeneity of Germany, and one can begin to understand the herculean task Sardar Patel faced. Germany regards Bismarck to be an Iron man - what then should we call Patel?

It is cruel to spend million dollars in building statues while millions of our countrymen are fighting for single meal !!!

It is sad that we have to even debate this situation ?

Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel created the tallest statue for himself through his work ....and that is India !

Let us work together to make this statue grow taller .....

What is greater - unifying a (relatively) small country like Germany, with one race and one language and a homogenous culture and religion or a region like India, with hundreds of those? Look at the diversity of India and the homogeneity of Germany, and one can begin to understand the herculean task Sardar Patel faced. Germany regards Bismarck to be an Iron man - what then should we call Patel?

Precisely- and we call him 'Iron Man of India' or simply 'Loha Purush'. I think as India's prominence rises, we should see him getting the prominence he deserves. I think one reason why he didn't get international celebrity was because people then were not sure if India would last. Now that that stupid idea (that India will break) has been put to rest, his legacy is only getting stronger with each passing day.

I was pretty much the the Chankya of Modern India.

well yes...and chanakya was the Saradar of ancient India too :D

300 Million?

There has to be a better way to spend the money.

Dig some wells, build some schools, build a sewage treatment plant.

Patel did a good job, but a statue isnt going to solve anything.

It is cruel to spend million dollars in building statues while millions of our countrymen are fighting for single meal !!!

It is sad that we have to even debate this situation ?

Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel created the tallest statue for himself through his work ....and that is India !

Let us work together to make this statue grow taller .....
It is not a mere statue .It is a major tourism project also.It has so many things associated with it and will be major source of revenue generation.All the investment can be recovered in a few years and it will remains as the pride of our country for centuries to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
His UNBELIVEABLE poltical skills have little equal. Said princely kingdoms were never ready to give up their turfs- on many occasions he'd just call thm for lunch and by the time the lunch was done, the job would be done (have no f**ing clue how he did that). A hilarious aspect of his career career was when Mountbatten took charge and he tried to bully him (and MB threatened to quit). he had the exceptional judgement to not disband that british civil services and instead in one single address to them won them over (& created the Indian civil service). I agree, a statue is not needed.

This is one of his works, which is not that well known. But without this, we would have been far worse if Nehru had his way..

OT : If it indeed is a tourist project, then its okay.. Else Sardar patel would have never liked to have something like this made for him. Great persons dont need statues. They deserve our respect.

There is definitely much better ways to spend 300 million dollars. How about building a new state of the art research center along the lines of the US national labs. With that much money you can build one as good as any in the world.

Talking about tourism, I am not really sure if it will attract many foreign tourists.

Back
Top Bottom