What's new

Group Captain Sachin Tendulkar!

I know I am in a minority but I am absolutely against this. Military ranks should not be conferred upon a civilian in this manner. They are earned and they get a respect that no civilian can get.

Regards,
Anoop.

Congrats Sachin!

I wish them taught him how to salute before the ceremony...he saluted in a funny way.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is totally ridiculus. How a civilian can be offered such a high rank in airforce without training. I think IAF has changed its proceedure for hiring people and now it is hiring civilians. very strange

This is totally ridiculus. How a civilian can be offered such a high rank in airforce without training. I think IAF has changed its proceedure for hiring people and now it is hiring civilians. very strange

You wont get this. This is called "Branding" or "Image Building". Famous civilians are conferred military positions to attract the youth into military.

You wont get this. This is called "Branding" or "Image Building". Famous civilians are conferred military positions to attract the youth into military.

:) Please do not dismiss him with such condescending attitude.

It has a pro and a con.. Pro is what you said... Fortunately Indian military has no problem hiring the jawans. There is a problem at the officer's level, but not very alarming. Even then one does not need to confer a title on a civilian for "branding". One can ask them to advertise for you and many famous civilians would most willingly do that.

Con.. it takes a toll on the moral levels of the army who see a civilian, just a famous guy, being conferred something he does not really deserve.

Regards,
Anoop

:) Please do not dismiss him with such condescending attitude.

It has a pro and a con.. Pro is what you said... Fortunately Indian military has no problem hiring the jawans. There is a problem at the officer's level, but not very alarming. Even then one does not need to confer a title on a civilian for "branding". One can ask them to advertise for you and many famous civilians would most willingly do that.

Con.. it takes a toll on the moral levels of the army who see a civilian, just a famous guy, being conferred something he does not really deserve.
Regards,
Anoop

most of the part i agree with.:tup:

only for the bolded part - everyone including those jawans are well aware that that civilian is from another field and does not deserve ( on talent/skill/training basis),even the common man not in the force knows this. secondly that actually might help them to strive for that postion, in that career as the civilian selected are usually from high positions in the society..in this case Sachin. other airforce grp captains would be glad to be ramked alongside sachin and the jawans on the lowers ranks would work hard for it. just my opinion.

One can ask them to advertise for you and many famous civilians would most willingly do that.

Con.. it takes a toll on the moral levels of the army who see a civilian, just a famous guy, being conferred something he does not really deserve.[\quote]

What are you trying to say ???? That famous people will come in Ads of IAF asking people to join. That will be much more difficult to arrange as also costly. Where as look at this..... they confer Sachin with the title and the whole of media was discussing it and thus it results in a gigantic publicity with less effort. If Sachin would have appeared in IAF AD's it would not have been worth noting, but now many are discussing. Take the example of this site only, the thread is here because Sachin was made Group Captain, it would not have been here had Sachin just appeared in IAF's Ad.

Secondly, no one in armed force feels envy at a famous citizen being conferred any title since they are aware this is just for branding and nothing else. They know he is not supposed to have any impact on their promotions.

most of the part i agree with.:tup:

only for the bolded part - everyone including those jawans are well aware that that civilian is from another field and does not deserve ( on talent/skill/training basis),even the common man not in the force knows this. secondly that actually might help them to strive for that postion, in that career as the civilian selected are usually from high positions in the society..in this case Sachin. other airforce grp captains would be glad to be ramked alongside sachin and the jawans on the lowers ranks would work hard for it. just my opinion.

And the group captains who are already there? A military personnel takes most offence when he / she is equated with a civilian and perhaps justifiably so.

Infact they hate to be even addressed by their title by a civilian. I speak this from personal experience. Though I agree it can be argued both ways but please do not discount the feeling.

Regards,
Anoop

Thats why this is called honorary rank...When Air force wants to honor some one famous why is any one else bothered..??

Thats why this is called honorary rank...When Air force wants to honor some one famous why is any one else bothered..??

:) Are you saying something to the effect, "When Air force wants to do something, it should never bother anyone?"

I as a tax payer pay for the salaries of the Indian Military. That should give me right enough to question a policy as an Indian National.

Regards,
Anoop

I as a tax payer pay for the salaries of the Indian Military. That should give me right enough to question a policy as an Indian National.

By electing a Govt. you have exercised your right towards which policies to be implemented. If each of the billion of people are allowed to personally tweak the policy, nothing would be possible. That is why you select a Govt. whose policy is closest to the one you hold. Now it is the Govt. headache what is choose over what.

By electing a Govt. you have exercised your right towards which policies to be implemented. If each of the billion of people are allowed to personally tweak the policy, nothing would be possible. That is why you select a Govt. whose policy is closest to the one you hold. Now it is the Govt. headache what is choose over what.

You have surely "tweaked" my words.

Every Indian National can "question" the Indian government. Not just at election times. Thats a fundamental right the Indian constitution has given each of it's citizen. You can check it out with your lawyer.

Regards,
Anoop.

Back
Top Bottom