What's new

Governor Punjab, Salman Taseer, Killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, "but"

Back in 2001, yet before 9-11, American political psychologist Jerrold Post interviewed captured Al Qaeda members. Their ultimate vision, he reported, was multiple Islamic regimes ruling Central Asia, the ruler of each comfortably enjoying life in his castle/capital while his army contested with others in battles over minor points of Muslim theology, continuing until one was supreme or the lands and people were reduced to ruin.

Isn't your vision similar? Or do you have something better to offer?
Why you take Al-Qaeda as an example of Islam

Take example of our Prophet. He never did what these al-qaeda members are trying to do.

I didn't like Taseer for many reasons. But he was so much that our usual politcians aren't. At least he wasn't corrupt.

Many of the posters claim he blasphemed, which is incorrect. He was merely criticizing the misuse of a law and rightly so. Even if someone thought so, they could ve filed a complaint. But law isn't a cherished thing. We love to flout the law.

The fact that the Mullahs turned on him was simply because he was very outspoken against extremism. Now, they have claimed his scalp.

I don't blame the killer. I blame the society in which he lived, breeding and glorifying such acts and the perpetrators. He was smiling as the police took him away.

It ain't the first time someone has been murdered for being outspoken. The last thing mullahs want is for such people to be seen in public, challenging their authority and more importantly the fear they hold so dear. And, sadly, it won't be the last. We still have some learned people left amongst us.

Importantly, the muder also highlights the defects in the recruitment policy of the security establishment. They ignored the fact that such an ardent fanatic was deputed to guard such a liberal person. He must have talked about his dislike of Taseer and his remarks. I guess he wasn't taken seriously or people ignored it. We can't afford such ignorance in the times we live in.

This murder is a tragic event indeed on many levels.

For the family, who lost a husband and father.

For the political process, which will be further derailed by this act of violence.

For civil society in Paksitan, who will be further intimidated by the rise of religious extremism.

For the international community, which will see this as another piece of evidence that the breakdown of law continues in a nuclear armed state.

This is NOT GOOD.

by supporting a known law breaker..no matter the law was controversial or not...our leaders and elite have shown how much they disrespect their country's laws...Couldn't they wait for the case to be finally decided before openly supporting her?
Did you also oppose those clerics who support the Christian's execution, whether she was judged guilty or not? Isn't that incitement to murder - itself a crime - and not justice? Doesn't that alone justify openly supporting someone accused of blasphemy?

there are 2 problems here:

a.) i've heard and seen some people glamorizing or being happy over this news......just for the sake of it. The man had a family and loved ones too. Don't be insensitive.

b.) I don't have all the details yet. But if his security guard went rogue, then it wont reflect well on the reputation of the elite security forces. They will need to be more wary in the future.

all in all, this is a regrettable incident....no matter what personal feelings one had for such people, you can't really be irrational here.

and while we are taught to uphold and respect the laws, I would be slightly bold and adventerous by saying i would stand 100% behind taseer on this one matter

the blasphemy law is a pathetic law and brings great shame to our country (in my opinion)

RIP to him and may God bring comfort to his family and loved ones......this would be the second biggest blow to this PPP govt. in less than a week

Its sad to hear that. setting aside whatever he was in his personal life and whatever feeling i had for him but its sad.
but by going through this thread one thing is clear, we common layman Pakistanis are being surpressed by extremists, on one side Religious Extremist and on the other side Secular extremists. Both want us to see and think what they think is right for us.

Salman Taseer hailed from a wealthy family and was a highly succesful businessman himself.

His liberal outlook was evident from his lifestyle and he was never one to use religion as a tool for political gains unlike some others.

The man died for not changing his stance and standing by his words, that is very commendable.

After all Blasphemy laws are black laws brought by a tyrant dictator in one of the darkest periods of Pakistan.

More then 90% People of Pakistan support these Blasphemy laws , Who you are to call these Laws black laws ...?

I am not particularly sad for Mr Taseer but definitely it is a blow to our national interests. Taseer if wasn't any good held an important seat which has made headlines all over the world.

Terrorists are showing their muscles to us and it must be stopped at all costs.
My Request to all members is to please do not celebrate a "Death" as it is unethical , Un Islamic and absolute disregard to a human life.

If our people believe that taseer did corruption etc they should have worked for creating an independent judiciary which could prosecute such people if found guilty.

The worst thing about our whole system is that corrupt idiots die without being prosecuted and giving back our money and assets , on top of that they get a martyr status too ie Benazir.

Lastly , no matter what one has done , no one gets the right to take matter in his / her own hands and kill him/her , as its undemocratic !

RIP.

A sad incident, what is more sad is that people are actually happy over what happened.
You cannot call the man a "Blaspheme" because he called the Blasphemy Laws a black law, the Blasphemy law was not revealed by Allah nor dictated by Huzoor(SAW), it was made by a man(Zia) and is open to debate. I fail to understand how that makes a man eligible for murder......

Salman Taseer hailed from a wealthy family and was a highly succesful businessman himself.

His liberal outlook was evident from his lifestyle and he was never one to use religion as a tool for political gains unlike some others.

The man died for not changing his stance and standing by his words, that is very commendable.

After all Blasphemy laws are black laws brought by a tyrant dictator in one of the darkest periods of Pakistan.

Bravo!!

Yes, he went away unbent. He did not hypocritically used religion to look pious in a land where, since late 1970's, it has become dangerous to look 'liberal'. He drank and did not disown that image. Look at his early life: He worked like a commoner in the UK to support his education. He did not switch his loyalty from PPP despite grave physical torture by the Sharif.

What Taseer possessed was more than ANY other leading figure in Pakistan, since at least Faiz Ahmad Faiz, has possessed: Courage to be different and not be shy of that. His standing up for Ms. Aasia Bibi meant his own death sentence. And he met that sentence.

Importantly, the muder also highlights the defects in the recruitment policy of the security establishment. They ignored the fact that such an ardent fanatic was deputed to guard such a liberal person. He must have talked about his dislike of Taseer and his remarks. I guess he wasn't taken seriously or people ignored it. We can't afford such ignorance in the times we live in.

My college was very near to GHQ and when ever ex-president musharaaf used that road obviously many soldiers were deployed 3-4 hours before he arrived. Almost 60-70 of the soldiers were not happy with him ( it may be a co-incidence but they were on duty protecting him).

Did you also oppose those clerics who support the Christian's execution, whether she was judged guilty or not? Isn't that incitement to murder - itself a crime - and not justice? Doesn't that alone justify openly supporting someone accused of blasphemy?

Dont you think this discussion is going down to Kindergarten level now?

The death threat Mullahs were not Government..or were they?

It was the job of the government to tackle the issue wisely..not like some snotty teen.....

If a government Minister behaves like an angry Bratz...whats the different between them and general public?

Know what i mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't! I'm asking a Muslim whether he shares the same vision. How about you?

Hello,

Most of the muslims didnot know about the existence of alqaeda before 9/11
let alone its idealogy NO most of the muslims dont agree with the alqaeeda and i m not one of those who r called liberals or secularists

TARIQ

Last edited:
More then 90% People of Pakistan support these Blasphemy laws , Who you are to call these Laws black laws ...?

Obviously most Pakistanis support the Blasphemy laws.

I find it funny that some westernized liberal Pakistanis wanting Pakistan to be secular.

They have no idea of the society in Pakistan outside Karachi.

Pakistan is a conservative Islamic Republic for the most part, there are some areas less conservative than others but I dont see Pakistan ever becoming a secular country.

I say keep the blasphemy laws. By changing the blasphemy laws, Pakistan will only create more problems, more headache, and more tensions between Pakistanis and we have enough of that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom