What's new

Golden Temple to provide 1 lakh meals daily for Kashmir : Punjabiyan di shaan vakhri

The image in the post is a little demeaning. If it were me, I would be offering food, not handing it down. It is important to preserve the dignity of people who find themselves in a position where they have to accept help instead of giving it. Helping people in times of natural calamity is a privilege.
That pic was not meant to be specific to the tragedy in Kashmir. It actually represents a person accepting roti in a langar. It is customary that everyone sits on the carpeted floor, which basically symbolifies equality. And when dinner is served, one has to fold their hand and accept the roti as a token of gratitude.

The image in the post is a little demeaning. If it were me, I would be offering food, not handing it down. It is important to preserve the dignity of people who find themselves in a position where they have to accept help instead of giving it. Helping people in times of natural calamity is a privilege.

Gurudwaras always serve food in that way to maintain cleanliness . 100 thousand people are fed in a day at golden temple . They have to be sure of hygiene .

That pic is not related to the tragedy in Kashmir. It actually represents a person accepting roti in a langar. It is customary that everyone sits on the carpeted floor, which basically symbolifies equality. And when dinner is served, one has to fold their hand and accept the roti as a token of gratitude.

More than token of gratitude its about cleanliness. I know no sikhs ( and i know many ) who would want gratitude from people who are in need .

If the food is blessed by a Guru its haraam View attachment 48638

1. The context is meat. Sikhs differ from Muslims specifically in avoiding Halal meat.
2. Sikhs are monotheists.
3. Something coming out of a Langar of Gurudwara is not necessarily haram for being so. If the food is specifically prepared for starving people then the intention is the parameter to watch.
4. Allah knows best.

In Langars, one has to accept food from both hands, not with the intention to compromise with one's dignity but as a gratitude towards the almighty for proving one with a meal to eat and thus making one able to survive and live in this beautiful world.

Gurudwaras always serve food in that way to maintain cleanliness . 100 thousand people are fed in a day at golden temple . They have to be sure of hygiene .

More than token of gratitude its about cleanliness. I know no sikhs ( and i know many ) who would want gratitude from people who are in need .
Yaar tu to senti ho gaya :D. Yepp you are most prob. right

This northern command has requested to the head of GOLDEN TEMPLE to prepare langer for 1 lakh people everyday at Kashmir which was happily agreed and the sewa will be started from tomorrow which will be air lifted from Amritsar to Kashmir everyday. That 1 lakh food packets also sent daily started from today

09:24 am: Western Air Command contacts Golden Temple to help people in Jammu and Kashmir.

09:23 am: Golden Temple to provide ready to eat meals for people in Jammu and Kashmir.

09:22 am: IAF ropes in Golden Temple, Amritsar in Jammu and Kashmir relief operations.

Read more at: LIVE updates on Jammu and Kashmir floods: Over 1,10,000 people rescued so far, many still await help : India, News - India Today

More pics of langar being prepared today

10646686_768092979920517_4788818972307429490_n.jpg

10614291_768093033253845_7858279948867832393_n.jpg

1545778_768093069920508_4367459672758241361_n.jpg

10646686_768092979920517_4788818972307429490_n.jpg

What kinds of food do Sikhs eat?

What kinds of food do Sikhs eat?

Just what an average Indian eats. Roti (flat bread), Daal (Lentils), Sabzi (cooked vegetables) & Rice. That's what most people in subcontinents survives on (other than meat dishes off course). Although Sikhs eat Non-veg as well but the food which u see in those pics and the food served in all Gurudwaras are pure veg.

They are mostly non-vegetarians. The national bird of Punjab is "Butter Chicken". But veg. food is prepared and served in all gurudwaras.
And there is a non religious angle to this. The general population is a mix of Vegetarians and non vegetarians. Plus there are vegetarians who will not eat even the veg food if its prepared in the same kitchen as the non veg food. By ensuring that the langar food is veg, Gurudwaras make sure that there is no exclusion of anybody from that Langar. Any one can eat there if they so desire.

They are mostly non-vegetarians. The national bird of Punjab is "Butter Chicken". But veg. food is prepared and served in all gurudwaras.

Ah, so I see. Are there any restrictions on meat? Is beef or pork prohibited?

1. The context is meat. Sikhs differ from Muslims specifically in avoiding Halal meat.
2. Sikhs are monotheists.
3. Something coming out of a Langar of Gurudwara is not necessarily haram for being so. If the food is specifically prepared for starving people then the intention is the parameter to watch.
4. Allah knows best.

indeed Allah knows best

skip to 2;00

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom