What's new

Global Innovation Index

Average show by India...we need to improve :(

Well, you have a population of 1.2 BILLION people to choice from so I guess that you have the prerequisites to succeed in one way or another. Most countries don't have such luxury. Aside from that then there are many successful Indians outside of India much like there are many successful Arabs outside of the Arab world. Most are not really part of their ancestors world though only by name, ancestry and maybe culture/tradition/religion if their parents have given them those tools. Among Arabs those values are very strong 99,9% of the time but I know other groups of foreigners who totally blend in and feel "inferior".

It talks about "process innovation" and similar bullcrap to increase scores for some countries. At the end of the day, where is your TV/car/camera/computer/airplane/etc. designed?

USA, UK, France, Germany, Japan and South Korea. Produced somewhere in South East Asia, Eastern Europe, Turkey, China or India where there is cheap labor and where the laws are less strict than in Western Europe/USA.

This is nothing new. Has been the case with almost everything in the last 300-500 years. Before the Middle East was the most advanced area of the world for thousands of years.

Times changes. There is no reason to believe that we cannot regain such position again. We have all the tools. Just need clever governance, clever decisions, education and more education. Well and then peace. The latter might be a little problematic.

Anyway I am positive. The amount of well to do Arabs I have encountered in the West or other non-Western Europeans is great and it just confirms that we can do the same if not even better when given the same opportunities.

Enough of ridiculous self-pity. Let us do something to change it.

Times are changing though at least in the GCC. Should have happened earlier since we have everything and most importantly the money but better late than never!

Iran without sanctions will most likely surpass GCC economy, so what are you proud of bubblegum ?

Iran without sanctions will most likely surpass GCC economy, so what are you proud of bubblegum ?

Surpass in what? KSA alone is a bigger economy than Iran. Let alone the whole GCC.

Also you cannot make such comparisons. The Iranian population is 75 million. The population in the GCC is 45 million or so.

Let us compare the whole Arab world with Iran shall me?

Makes no sense to make such comparisons.

No sane person compares Denmark with China for example. Or India with Sweden.

Iran without sanctions + free society would surpass any country in the region. Easily.

Surpass in what? KSA alone is a bigger economy than Iran. Let alone the whole GCC.

Also you cannot make such comparisons. The Iranian population is 75 million. The population in the GCC is 45 million or so.

Let us compare the whole Arab world with Iran shall me?

Makes no sense to make such comparisons.

No sane persons compares Denmark with China for example. Or UK with Moldova.

Its not fair to be comparing the economy of Iran while they are suffering heavy sanctions, so I dont see why some people here are proud showing off their economy being bigger then a state under sanctions.

Its not fair to be comparing the economy of Iran while they are suffering heavy sanctions, so I dont see why some people here are proud showing off their economy being bigger then a state under sanctions.

Its not only the sanctions, but also the brain drain (largest in the world), internal pressure, etc.

That's not true, nowhere near when iran wasn't sanctioned under shah their economy was still small ( you can check yourself) in fact iran economy had high growth after revolution in some years.

That's not true, nowhere near when iran wasn't sanctioned under shah their economy was still small ( you can check yourself) in fact iran economy had high growth after revolution in some years.

Iran's economy was larger under the Shah than Turkey's economy. Plus comparing Iran now with under the Shah is irrelevant, since the country has witnessed major social changes, like improved literacy rate, student rate, female participation in education, self-sufficiency, urbanization etc.

Ofcourse they will go for cheap products, we just got out of war and this makes transport costs very low.
Iraqs economy just got to a level where it is able to buy good quality products, 2003 - 2008 the GDP was way too low.
Japanese, German cars are way too expensive, not mentioning the transport costs, these are mainly Iranian cars, food products and other simple electronic devices which Iraq is importing.

Now they are looking into western markets, they quit important sh!t.

That is not what I was referring to Doritos. Notice what I highlighted in that article. Your trade is a one-dimension trade. Iran sells you cheap crap and some fruits/vegetables that could easily be produced in Iraq and are produced widely in the Arab world but you offer nothing in return to Iran.

Iranian export to Iraq: $6.35 billion

Iraqi expor to Iran: $83 million

Iraq is not a poor country. You have the resources to be much wiser. The same with the countries who are investing in Iraq. It's all Turkey, UAE and Iran. In return you offer nothing.

That is not a healthy relationship no matter how you look at it.

Iran, Iraq trade hits $6.3b

24 June 2013

The trade turnover between Iran and Iraq surpassed $6.35 billion in the previous calendar year, which ended on March 20.

Tehran's exports to Baghdad accounted for 98 percent on the mentioned amount, IRNA news agency reported.

Iraq also exported goods worth of $83 million to Iran.
Baghdad was Tehran's third largest trade partner in the mentioned period.
Iran's technical and engineering services exports to Iraq reached $3 billion in the previous year.

The two countries trade volume stood at $9.7 billion two years ago.
Iran and Kurdistan region's economic transactions reportedly account for 59 percent of Iran and Iraq's total economic trade turnover.

(Source: AzerNews)

All countries had growth during that time, in the 70s an economy in the ME of 40 billion GDP used to be big.

Well, you have a population of 1.2 BILLION people to choice from so I guess that you have the prerequisites to succeed in one way or another. Most countries don't have such luxury. Aside from that then there are many successful Indians outside of India much like there are many successful Arabs outside of the Arab world. Most are not really part of their ancestors world though only by name, ancestry and maybe culture/tradition/religion if their parents have given them those tools. Among Arabs those values are very strong 99,9% of the time but I know other groups of foreigners who totally blend in and feel "inferior".

USA, UK, France, Germany, Japan and South Korea. Produced somewhere in South East Asia, Eastern Europe, Turkey, China or India where there is cheap labor and where the laws are less strict than in Western Europe/USA.

This is nothing new. Has been the case with almost everything in the last 300-500 years. Before the Middle East was the most advanced area of the world for thousands of years.

Times changes. There is no reason to believe that we cannot regain such position again. We have all the tools. Just need clever governance, clever decisions, education and more education. Well and then peace. The latter might be a little problematic.

Anyway I am positive. The amount of well to do Arabs I have encountered in the West or other non-Western Europeans is great and it just confirms that we can do the same if not even better when given the same opportunities.

Enough of ridiculous self-pity. Let us do something to change it.

Times are changing though at least in the GCC. Should have happened earlier since we have everything and most importantly the money but better late than never!

Today Türkiye is moving from that stage to being designer and also we can't be compare to India or China in anyway in terms of labour. Today the Turkish minimum wage is very high to world standards and average to EU standards it's around 810 Turkish lira which is around 400 Euros per month, that is the lowest anyone can get. Also we are aiming to increase the value added products, example one kilogram of tomato is let's say $1 while one iphone is $500.

Anyways I congratulate the GCC nations in this list however I think UAE is one of most successful in terms of marketing and advertising the country (Dubai).

Process innovation is really important though.

Sure, there are different types of innovations.

I tend to differentiate between fundamental scientific/technical innovations and all the other incremental improvements. The two are worlds apart.

Times changes. There is no reason to believe that we cannot regain such position again.

I am not suggesting in any way that there is some inherent reason for the current situation to remain forever so, and I agree with the historical aspect. I am simply pointing out the reality of where most of today's scientific and technical innovations are coming from.

Well, I have no idea about who mentioned Iran here? What have they to do with anything here? You can see their position on those reports. Non-relevant.

Oh, and those sanctions are not the sanctions Iraq went through in the 1990's. Iran is not cut off at all. Heavy trade with many countries.

The GCC and Turkey will continue to dominate the region, I don't see it any different in the future for many obvious reasons.

You better read this article for example:

Talk about a unhealthy relationship, man.

They did in the previous page.

It is not only trade, the image of the country, I would not want to visit it with their government ofcourse like many others, bad tourism.

GCC and Turkey did not go through the hardships, other countries should have a chance and time to rebuild before people start to compare.
After the war in Syria neighbours will most likely compare to them and make fun.. how fair is that going to be.

Well, I have no idea about who mentioned Iran here? What have they to do with anything here? You can see their position on those reports. Non-relevant.

Its all related to each other, Einstein. With innovation they primarily mean economic innovation, and since Iran's economy is heavily sanctioned, its no wonder that Iran is scoring bad in these lists. On the other hand, when it comes to science, the whole Arab world is irrelevant on the regional stage, let alone on the world stage.

Without western support and knowledge these Arab countries would've been nowhere.
The GCC and Turkey will continue to dominate the region, I don't see it any different in the future for many obvious reasons.

Nobody is dominating the region.

Today Türkiye is moving from that stage to being designer and also we can't be compare to India or China in anyway in terms of labour. Today the Turkish minimum wage is very high to world standards and average to EU standards it's around 810 Turkish lira which is around 400 Euros per month, that is the lowest anyone can get. Also we are aiming to increase the value added products, example one kilogram of tomato is let's say $1 while one iphone is $500.

Anyways I congratulate the GCC nations in this list however I think UAE is one of most successful in terms of marketing and advertising the country (Dubai).

Turkey will always be a bigger and better economy than Iran just solely for their geographical position as a gateway between Europe, the Middle East, Caucasus and Central Asia.

Any investor would choose Turkey ahead of Iran - even a Iran without sanctions and a "free society".

Turkey and the GCC would be my pick as a foreign investor in the Middle East which is also the case for most today.

Back
Top Bottom