What's new

Giving citizenship to Rohingyas in exchange of loans! Bangladesh is angry over World Bank's 'unfair' conditions

apparently it does

Bangladesh rejects World Bank’s Rohingya integration proposal (tbsnews.net)

Bangladesh rejects World Bank’s Rohingya integration proposal
Repatriation is the only way for the Rohingyas to a better future
Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen Photo: Collected
Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen Photo: Collected

Bangladesh has rejected the World Bank's (WB) proposal to integrate Myanmar's Rohingya people into the host community.
Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen Monday said Dhaka defines Rohingyas as forcibly displaced Myanmar citizens, not refugees.
"Bangladesh prioritises their repatriation. They will go back," the minister told journalists in Dhaka.

The WB reviews its refugee policy framework every three years before mobilising funds under the International Development Assistance window. The global lender recently sought opinions of 16 refugee hosting countries, including Bangladesh, on its latest policy review.
The WB letter to the Economic Relations Division (ERD) spoke of the freedom of movement, birth certificate, privileges of education and job for the Rohingyas.
"We have categorically refused the WB proposal of integrating Rohingyas since it does not reflect on our perception. We believe repatriation is the only way for Rohingyas to have a better future. We have just sheltered them for the time being," said Abdul Momen.
More than 1 million Rohingyas, who fled a military crackdown in Myanmar's Rakhine state in 2017, now live in Bangladesh. Over the years, repatriation witnessed almost no progress as Rohingyas refused to return, claiming that conditions in Rakhine were still unsafe and they had no guarantee of citizenship in Myanmar.
Momen said Myanmar told Bangladesh several times that Naypyidaw would take back their citizens. But the neighbouring country did not keep the promise.
The foreign minister said, "The WB report talks about refugees, but the Rohingyas in Bangladesh do not fall in the category since Dhaka is not a signatory to the UN Convention on Refugees."
"After turning down the proposal, there has been an understanding with them [World Bank] in progress. We will strike a deal with the WB only if it drops the prospects we dislike," said the minister.
The foreign minister also thinks there will be an additional pressure on Bangladesh as it has not agreed to the proposal. "We are sure they [World Bank] will put pressure on us. But the reality is they do not pay us for the burden. Their funds directly go to the international NGOs and the UNHCR. We even do not know how the organisations spend money for the Rohingyas."
Asked if there was any progress on Rohingya repatriation, the foreign minister said no progress had been made.

@Atlas

wait and see what happens... we will revisit this topic in future..

Foreign policy is only successful when you have military might to back it up. Now Bangladesh is growing economically, it should develop it's military strength. When Burma was ethnicly cleansing Rohingya, a strong Bangladesh could have marched in it's army and created a safe zone.

Unfortunately Muslim countries do not give the appropriate consideration to military strength and power projection. Even Pakistan today only gives lip service to Kashmir.

Agreed.

Instead of useless hindi need to learn french or English. But bd khet ppl mostly girls keep speaking in hindi even grown *** fatty aunty dancing to bollywood songs ridiculously on social media....make me vomit...eat biriyani get fat and dance to hindi songs typical bangla women...thank god i left bd when I was kid...

Even here if you go to bd weddings chances these aunties dancing to bollywood songs is almost 100 percent..most weddings here only play hindi songs...khet bd ppl came here and still obsessions with bollywood only growing. Cant speak proper English despite live in canada but fluent in fucking hindi. And u wonder why bd women lacks get proper white color jobs here. Useless bunch.

Bro what does khet mean

One of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Bangladesh is not world/regional police. Its not an economic superpower. Military fetishization is also not in our culture.

This is how you are expected to behave as subservient reactory nations, always adapting to survive with the changing circumstances never defining what the circumstances are.

Look around you - all powerful nations are proactive and not reactive. They are always pushing for influence over people and resources.

No Muslim nation is powerful, so we don't have that ability. If we were powerful we'd have that vision too.

The only Muslim nations with a semblance of power projection are Turkey and Iran. Turkey backed Azerbaijan and recently helped them with a long standing war.

Iran has used its sectarian influence to push the Shia crescent project and has sway in Iraq, Lebanon and Syria.

Pakistan has dabbled and had some influence in Kashmir and Afghanistan but nothing concrete or successful. The Gulf Arabs have tried the same with oil money to some degree of success but again nothing concrete.

My suggestion was not something current Bangladesh should do. It is beyond the capability of current Bangladesh. My suggestion was what Bangladesh should have done had it been a powerful country.

This is how you are expected to behave as subservient reactory nations, always adapting to survive with the changing circumstances never defining what the circumstances are.

Look around you - all powerful nations are proactive and not reactive. They are always pushing for influence over people and resources.

No Muslim nation is powerful, so we don't have that ability. If we were powerful we'd have that vision too.

The only Muslim nations with a semblance of power projection are Turkey and Iran. Turkey backed Azerbaijan and recently helped them with a long standing war.

Iran has used its sectarian influence to push the Shia crescent project and has sway in Iraq, Lebanon and Syria.

Pakistan has dabbled and had some influence in Kashmir and Afghanistan but nothing concrete or successful. The Gulf Arabs have tried the same with oil money to some degree of success but again nothing concrete.

My suggestion was not something current Bangladesh should do. It is beyond the capability of current Bangladesh. My suggestion was what Bangladesh should have done had it been a powerful country.

Unfortunately a lot of BD'shis have a subservient attitude in foreign affairs and that will take some time to change.

BD is growing its economy well and we are seeing major signs of a military buildup commensurate with this.

If BD can grow its military strength in the next 5-10 years enough then it will be in a position to pressure Myanmar enough to take back the Rohingyas with full rights.

There is no need of even BD marching into Myanmar but just threatening to arm the many rebel groups fighting the Barmans will be enough.

It is now clear that BD needs to toughen up as otherwise it will be left to look after the Rohingyas forever as currently Myanmar has no interest to take back the Rohingyas.

Foreign policy is only successful when you have military might to back it up. Now Bangladesh is growing economically, it should develop it's military strength. When Burma was ethnicly cleansing Rohingya, a strong Bangladesh could have marched in it's army and created a safe zone.

Unfortunately Muslim countries do not give the appropriate consideration to military strength and power projection. Even Pakistan today only gives lip service to Kashmir.
In the end , every nation want to serve it's own interest.

War isn't any solution war always harm economy.

Remember usa already lost in Afghanistan, how do you expect that Bangladesh would win if we wanted to create safe zone?

Maybe Bangladesh is militarily powerfull than Myanmar yet if we would try to create a safe zone, the consequences would be the collapse of Bangladesh.

Reality is too harsh, and there is a huge difference between utopia and real states.

Why Pakistani economy didn't develop at right pace? Because of war.

Now usa is leaving Afghanistan, and I am sure you will have more time to focus on economy. Because if no usa in this area, even Indian pressure will be hugely reduced and you will be beneficial from it too.

it means ppl you want to avoid lol. Like annoying ppl i guess. I moved here as a kid so not that good in bangla that much.

Khet means village bumpkin, in other words what in the US we call "fresh off the boat" (or FOB). One lacking in modern etiquette and manners. Same as Dehati in Urdu I guess...

Well it was bound to happen. World Bank saw Bangladesh' unwavering resolve and backed off the demand for granting the Rohingya Bangladesh citizenship.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom