What's new

Giving citizenship to Rohingyas in exchange of loans! Bangladesh is angry over World Bank's 'unfair' conditions

We never had fiscal problems, a currency swap is done to boost bilateral trade, yes in your case Sri Lanka was facing fiscal challenges, but at the end overcoming it was done with a currency swap.

You have been facing fiscal challenges ever since the "note bandi", read the articles you posted yourself before commenting here.

Well there are bad apples everywhere. I have never ever had bad experience with Indonesians as a group (some younger friends in college and during my tabligh jamaat tour days before college), my Indonesian buddies in LA have been like my brothers and treated me as one of their own. Still in touch with many of them. Vlogging folks may have personal issues, this is nothing typical to paint with a broad brush. Most educated Indonesians and Malaysians know bigger picture about Bangladesh, not everyone in Bangladesh is poor and not everyone in Malaysia is rich. Ignore the stupid folks who don't understand this.

@Indos brother a penny for your thoughts. :-)

Malaysians, I have met some who are a bit on the snooty side (this is hilarious when they do it in the US, boasting about Malaysia). This behavior is best ignored as a one-off scenario. I have some friends (both male and female) married to highly educated Malaysian, Indonesian and Thai folks (of both genders) and have received nothing but warm hospitality from all of them. There may be cultural differences. But respect always begets respect.

At the end of the day, us Asians are somewhat vain.

If our GDP per capita goes up or down a bit, we start acting nationalistic. I am guilty of the same. I have certainly seen this in Thailand personally, but their attitude changes when they see my US Passport.

Ignore the nationalistic idiots...
People of all nations are mostly nice and polite when they meet people from other nations personally. My arguments is not about meeting Indonesians/Malaysian personally and getting mistreated. Most people around the world are polite and intelligent enough to hide their true feelings when they meet other person, either from same country or different. Look at Indians and Pakistanis, they are best in their behavior when they meet each other in other countries, but does that indicate the true relation between India and Pakistan as a country? It is only in social media, behind the curtain that people are comfortable to show their mind. Vast majority of Indonesian/Malaysian are nice people like any other nation, and they are friendly towards Bangladeshi person on person(unless he is toiling in Malaysia). But I have found that, overwhelming majority of Indonesians and Malaysians in social media have negative attitude towards Bangladeshis. There is no 'Muslim brotherly' opinion towards Bangladesh rather contempt unlike among Bangladeshis regarding them. If only a tiny minority of them had negative attitude towards Bangladesh I would not even have revealed this here. I have done enough research in their languages to conclude this opinion. Contrary, Most Bangladeshis who reside in Bangladesh have very positive feeling about Malaysia and Indonesia, even in Social Media. That's it.

Last edited:
You have been facing fiscal challenges ever since the "note bandi", read the articles you posted yourself before commenting here.
Drop in rupee value is not a fiscal problem of such a big scale, it is dropping every year albeit last year it didn’t. The currency swap is mostly done to increase bilateral trade as one can pay in the currency your partner uses, Sri Lanka is under a debt crises so it swapped USD for it’s currency with BD. In any case, it can not be considered a lan to Sri Lanka because SL does not have to payback the loan if I’m not mistakes.

Why do countries take interest based loans and throw them into a whirl pool which keeps on spinning ? Just spend what you earn only.

People of all nations are mostly nice and polite when they meet people from other nations personally. My arguments is not about meeting Indonesians/Malaysian personally and getting mistreated. Most people around the world are polite and intelligent enough to hide their true feelings when they meet other person, either from same country or different. Look at Indians and Pakistanis, they are best in their behavior when they meet each other in other countries, but does that indicate the true relation between India and Pakistan as a country? It is only in social media, behind the curtain that people are comfortable to show their mind. Vast majority of Indonesian/Malaysian are nice people like any other nation, and they are friendly towards Bangladeshi person on person(unless he is toiling in Malaysia). But I have found that, overwhelming majority of Indonesians and Malaysians in social media have negative attitude towards Bangladeshis. There is no 'Muslim brotherly' opinion towards Bangladesh rather contempt unlike among Bangladeshis regarding them. If only a tiny minority of them had negative attitude towards Bangladesh I would not even have revealed this secret here. I have done enough research in their languages to conclude this opinion. Contrary, Most Bangladeshis who reside in Bangladesh have very positive feeling about Malaysia and Indonesia, even in Social Media. That's it.

Yeah I have no idea. Maybe brother @Indos can kindly shed some light on it.

Malaysia it may be because of Bangladeshi laborers that people have negative feelings about Bangladeshis. Why would Indonesians feel negatively about Bangladeshis? That is a puzzle to me.

With more exposure in between these groups, these negative assumptions I hope will dissipate.

Last edited:
Drop in rupee value is not a fiscal problem of such a big scale, it is dropping every year albeit last year it didn’t. The currency swap is mostly done to increase bilateral trade as one can pay in the currency your partner uses, Sri Lanka is under a debt crises so it swapped USD for it’s currency with BD. In any case, it can not be considered a lan to Sri Lanka because SL does not have to payback the loan if I’m not mistakes.

You have no idea about Currency swap. Google it.

Falling rupees means you have a tough time settling your balance of payments.

Sri Lanka will repay the loan lent by Bangladesh with interests.

Bilateral trade all over the world is mostly done through USD, the only exceptions are countries with monetary ambitions like China. Neither Bangladesh, nor Sri Lanka has any such ambitions. The same with Japan and India.

Loan is for Rohingyas not us. Hosting 1.5 million Rohingyas cost money. I am sure you are not dumb enough to understand that.
So, how much money the WB would like to pay an individual Rohingya?

sooner or letter they will got citizenship as biharis
ya i also think so, bd does not have the power to say no. Myanmar is way powerful than bangladesh. bangladeshi people will forget about it tomorrow, and slowly they will be integrated into the society. (of course to get the load from WB/IMF).

but, do u think the govt. learnt anything from this? answer: nothing.
Who will force us to accept the proposal?

Yes we have the power to say no. Those days are long gone when you could change Bangladesh govt by lobbying in Capitol Hill.
man.. i hope i am wrong.
but lets wait and see. we will get our answer

Why not offer it to Burma? They need the money more than us. It's quite clear that no one will help us to repatriate these Rohingya ingrates. I see no other option before us except war. Perhaps it's time to take action like the Azerbaijan. But before that we need to punish those who were thumping their chest to shelter these ingrates and wipe out those wanna be Rohingya leaders. Better take action against those humanitarian and NGO which provoke these ingrates against us.

It's nothing but a result of poor diplomacy on our part. So much talk about Quad and China trying to woo Bangladesh but nothing on the Rohingya issue. Myanmar is on the verge of a full-blown civil war with a weak government and still they cannot be persuaded. I don't understand Bangladeshi foreign policy, is bringing Bangabandhu's killers their only goal?

Foreign policy is only successful when you have military might to back it up. Now Bangladesh is growing economically, it should develop it's military strength. When Burma was ethnicly cleansing Rohingya, a strong Bangladesh could have marched in it's army and created a safe zone.

Unfortunately Muslim countries do not give the appropriate consideration to military strength and power projection. Even Pakistan today only gives lip service to Kashmir.

do you guys think bd has the power to say NO?
apparently it does

Bangladesh rejects World Bank’s Rohingya integration proposal (tbsnews.net)

Bangladesh rejects World Bank’s Rohingya integration proposal
Repatriation is the only way for the Rohingyas to a better future
Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen Photo: Collected

Bangladesh has rejected the World Bank's (WB) proposal to integrate Myanmar's Rohingya people into the host community.
Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen Monday said Dhaka defines Rohingyas as forcibly displaced Myanmar citizens, not refugees.
"Bangladesh prioritises their repatriation. They will go back," the minister told journalists in Dhaka.

The WB reviews its refugee policy framework every three years before mobilising funds under the International Development Assistance window. The global lender recently sought opinions of 16 refugee hosting countries, including Bangladesh, on its latest policy review.
The WB letter to the Economic Relations Division (ERD) spoke of the freedom of movement, birth certificate, privileges of education and job for the Rohingyas.
"We have categorically refused the WB proposal of integrating Rohingyas since it does not reflect on our perception. We believe repatriation is the only way for Rohingyas to have a better future. We have just sheltered them for the time being," said Abdul Momen.
More than 1 million Rohingyas, who fled a military crackdown in Myanmar's Rakhine state in 2017, now live in Bangladesh. Over the years, repatriation witnessed almost no progress as Rohingyas refused to return, claiming that conditions in Rakhine were still unsafe and they had no guarantee of citizenship in Myanmar.
Momen said Myanmar told Bangladesh several times that Naypyidaw would take back their citizens. But the neighbouring country did not keep the promise.
The foreign minister said, "The WB report talks about refugees, but the Rohingyas in Bangladesh do not fall in the category since Dhaka is not a signatory to the UN Convention on Refugees."
"After turning down the proposal, there has been an understanding with them [World Bank] in progress. We will strike a deal with the WB only if it drops the prospects we dislike," said the minister.
The foreign minister also thinks there will be an additional pressure on Bangladesh as it has not agreed to the proposal. "We are sure they [World Bank] will put pressure on us. But the reality is they do not pay us for the burden. Their funds directly go to the international NGOs and the UNHCR. We even do not know how the organisations spend money for the Rohingyas."
Asked if there was any progress on Rohingya repatriation, the foreign minister said no progress had been made.

@Atlas

apparently it does

Bangladesh rejects World Bank’s Rohingya integration proposal (tbsnews.net)

Bangladesh rejects World Bank’s Rohingya integration proposal
Repatriation is the only way for the Rohingyas to a better future

Bangladesh has rejected the World Bank's (WB) proposal to integrate Myanmar's Rohingya people into the host community.
Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen Monday said Dhaka defines Rohingyas as forcibly displaced Myanmar citizens, not refugees.
"Bangladesh prioritises their repatriation. They will go back," the minister told journalists in Dhaka.

The WB reviews its refugee policy framework every three years before mobilising funds under the International Development Assistance window. The global lender recently sought opinions of 16 refugee hosting countries, including Bangladesh, on its latest policy review.
The WB letter to the Economic Relations Division (ERD) spoke of the freedom of movement, birth certificate, privileges of education and job for the Rohingyas.
"We have categorically refused the WB proposal of integrating Rohingyas since it does not reflect on our perception. We believe repatriation is the only way for Rohingyas to have a better future. We have just sheltered them for the time being," said Abdul Momen.
More than 1 million Rohingyas, who fled a military crackdown in Myanmar's Rakhine state in 2017, now live in Bangladesh. Over the years, repatriation witnessed almost no progress as Rohingyas refused to return, claiming that conditions in Rakhine were still unsafe and they had no guarantee of citizenship in Myanmar.
Momen said Myanmar told Bangladesh several times that Naypyidaw would take back their citizens. But the neighbouring country did not keep the promise.
The foreign minister said, "The WB report talks about refugees, but the Rohingyas in Bangladesh do not fall in the category since Dhaka is not a signatory to the UN Convention on Refugees."
"After turning down the proposal, there has been an understanding with them [World Bank] in progress. We will strike a deal with the WB only if it drops the prospects we dislike," said the minister.
The foreign minister also thinks there will be an additional pressure on Bangladesh as it has not agreed to the proposal. "We are sure they [World Bank] will put pressure on us. But the reality is they do not pay us for the burden. Their funds directly go to the international NGOs and the UNHCR. We even do not know how the organisations spend money for the Rohingyas."
Asked if there was any progress on Rohingya repatriation, the foreign minister said no progress had been made.

@Atlas
Okay fine , I am happy that BAL govt really have some balls nowadays.

It's a great sign no doubt. So if they can stop messing with covid 19 issue , I would say they can remain in power few more years.

Anyway finally thank you BAL govt for showing balls to them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom