What's new

Gilani disqualified as PM: SC

So its 'necessary' for the SC to let a criminal get a pass?

Mr. Yousuf Raza Gilani is an individual the SC has not challenged the authority of the government just ruled on a crime committed by an individual.

It is very important that every individual knows they are answerable to the law no matter what their profession is. This rule of law is what will eventually end terrorism, corruption and bring Pakistan towards a path of true freedom and democracy.

I agree with you on the importance of the rule of law in all circumstances, but as Spark has already asked what I wanted to, the real tussle lies elsewhere, and that conflict is still ongoing, with dangers of further escalations, and associated dangers to the State.

question for you.

If Pakistan gets a new PM .....conflict with judiciary doesn't go away.

Will the PPP will still refuse to send letter to swiss officials.

Elections are only months away, it will instead provide the sympathy vote to PPP who will again claim that they are victimised. Supreme Court decision took long time but the funniest part is that the matter on which he faced contempt, the NRO, is still out there. Pakistanis deserve who and what they choose, it is “democracy” not dictatorship and they voted for these people.

It has nothing to do with Swiss cases etc etc.. It has more to with bringing back the baldies and the forty thieves!

question for you.

If Pakistan gets a new PM .....conflict with judiciary doesn't go away.

Will the PPP still refuse to send letter to swiss officials.

Now the parliament will have to pass a resolution to make every action of former Prime Minister since April 26th lawful

Or Supreme Court will have to explain the status of every action in the detailed judgement

The cost of the election expenses are expected around $3 + billion.

How much you think it can affect the present economy??

That figure doesn't seem right. Should be less in my opinion but its going to happen now or next year.

I agree with you on the importance of the rule of law in all circumstances, but as Spark has already asked what I wanted to, the real tussle lies elsewhere, and that conflict is still ongoing, with dangers of further escalations, and associated dangers to the State.

The tussle then lies with PPP's leadership and the SC's rulings against it.

PPP's leadership has committed crimes and its paying for it. PPP's leadership wants to make this about tussles between institutions but its a simple matter of law breakers being answerable to the law. Be it PPP, be it you, be it myself... Don't do a crime and there won't be any tussle.

Wrong decision on many counts!
1) Yes, the judiciary 'interprets' the Constitution--only the way these honorable judges personally consider the right interpretation! No amount of parliamentary rulings, votes of confidence, resolutions, and EVEN a Const. Amendment can move these destructive and ideological judges once they have made up their minds! ***No amount of reasoning that the Const. grants the President 'immunity' can make these judges seriously consider the arguments once their minds are made. Take an example: Sunday is the official weekend in Pakistan. What if these judges decide that it should be Friday because of the 'Islamic' nature of the Pakistani Constitution. You can hee-haw all you can in the Supreme Court but it will be no avail. These judges are truly above the law themselves***
2) Why should I trust these judges who themselves authorized not only Zia's coups but also Musharraf's 1999 coup as well? Some of these same judges not only condoned Musharraf's 'high treason' but also gave him, unsolicited, authority to AMEND the Constitution! At the least I can say that these judges are capable of making grave mistakes but without being held accountable themselves. If anything, those honorable judges, who chose to retire instead of approving Musharraf's coup, should be the ones in office AND holding their own fickle brothers to account.
3) PPP was very likely to lose the next elections. It just still might. But giving it another 'victim' card, so close to the elections, is not tactically brilliant.
4) These judges have shown unusual haste in targeting PPP while cases involving others, such as PMLN and even the Army ('Mehran Gate' of 1996) are not exactly been pursued with the same vigor.
5) Some of the leading lights of the Lawyer's Movement themselves--Aitzaz Ahsan, Asma Jehangir, and perhaps A.A.Kurd--have distanced themselves from the selective judicial activism of these judges.
6) Since March 2007 much of the economic losses in Pakistan can be traced to these judges creating chaos in the country. Looks like they are not finished yet.
As I have repeatedly said, I too am sick of this govt's incompetence and want to see the last of them in a LEGAL way. I am planning to vote Imran Khan but, knowing the history of Pakistan, any govt. kicked out too early only leads to more instability and economic losses. And people WILL get tired of Imran Khan before too long...so will we kick him out too and distribute sweets like we have been doing from the time-immemorial?

Now the parliament will have to pass a resolution to make every action of former Prime Minister since April 26th lawful

Or Supreme Court will have to explain the status of every action in the detailed judgement

The whole concept of making it null and void since April 26 ensures this.

Thats why they say all deals must be made with the approval of parliament. It's a complicated situation various methods can be adopted to bring legitimacy but since only 2 months have passed I would resign everything to remove any ambiguity.

The tussle then lies with PPP's leadership and the SC's rulings against it.

PPP's leadership has committed crimes and its paying for it. PPP's leadership wants to make this about tussles between institutions but its a simple matter of law breakers being answerable to the law. Be it PPP, be it you, be it myself... Don't do a crime and there won't be any tussle.

Please don't forget the immensely involved role of the armed forces in all of this, and the need to apply the same standards to them too. Otherwise, being selective reduces the whole exercise to a farce, and the ensuing rapid loss of credibility.

The whole concept of making it null and void since April 26 ensures this.

Thats why they say all deals must be made with the approval of parliament. It's a complicated situation various methods can be adopted to bring legitimacy but since only 2 months have passed I would resign everything to remove any ambiguity.

The agreements signed with foreign countries will not be reversed so easily.. it is important to protect foreign agreements similar to the case of PCO judges when the judiciary was restored and the judgements made by the PCO judges were honoured.

............ It's a complicated situation various methods can be adopted to bring legitimacy but since only 2 months have passed I would resign everything to remove any ambiguity.

LOL! I think that is simply the Doctrine of Necessity by a different name! :D

First Haqqani Hussain out, Gilani is out, what is next. Zardari lost two best men unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom