What's new

German special forces

MarkusS

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Italy
The german special forces are considered as one of the best worldwide. They are divided into two main forces.

One is the KSK or Kommando Spezial Kräfte.

ksk-5hv68z.jpg

The KSK is used as counter terrorism as well as special forces in foreign conflicts. Their members are picked from the ranks of the Bundeswehr.

The 2nd famous german unit is the GSG9. The GSG9 is an elite police unit used for counter terrorism strikes.

The group assists the Bundespolizei and other federal and local agencies on request. At the time of the 1977 Mogadishu mission, the Commander of the Israeli Border Police Tzvi War described GSG 9 as "The best anti-terrorist group in the world."

From 1972 to 2003 they reportedly completed over 1,500 missions, discharging their weapons on only five occasions. At the SWAT World Challenge in 2005, GSG 9 won an impressive eight out of eight events, beating 17 other teams. GSG 9 defended its championship the following year, and placed fifth in 2007.

Germany offered to render assistance to India in the wake of the November 2008 Mumbai attacks. GSG 9 helped train and upgrade the National Security Guards, the primary Indian counter-terrorism unit.Further help was provided to the Mumbai Police so that they could raise a SWATteam.

The GSG9 first great strike was in 1977 when palestinian terrorists hijacked the Lufthansa machine "Landshut". Chancellor Helmut Schmidt ordered the GSG 9 to safe the hostages, while the machine landed in Mogadischu. Chancellor Schmidt took all the risk and already prepared to step back from his office in case of failure.

But Operation "Feuerzauber" was a full sucess, the GSG 9 stormed the airplane and killed 3 of the 4 terrorists. The 4th terrorist was wounded. Not one hostage died.

cn-landshut-DW-Politik-Mogadischu.jpg

mogadischu_landshut_ullstein_00063247.jpg

Chancellor Schmidt personal thanked the GSG 9

polizei_schmidt_dpa_g.jpg

and celebrated with the crew of the Landshut:

befreite-lufthansacrew-mit-kanzler-helmut-schmidt-und-gsg9-chef-wegener.jpg

But weren't german special forces deployed to munich olympics black spetember , where all hostages were killed ? which unit was that ? i remember on a clip they had whermacht helmets

btw what does spezial kommando werke mean ?

by my own self education i learnt the most infamous german kommando deployment was in the second world war to rescue musilini with paragliders , i saw pics of them kommandos and they horribly resemble the israeli patrol forces in jerusalem , i will try and find pics to post here but i guess afterall the jerusalem police wants to be kommandos in their wet dreams :lol:

Germany wants to send Special Forces to Syria – reports — RT News
The 1,200-strong Bundeswehr task force’s deployment in Syria approved by the German parliament Friday might be reinforced by elite special forces, the KSK, according to local media.
To strengthen the task force, the Bundeswehr may send an additional unit of its elite Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK) to Syria “in case of emergency,” Bild reports, citing its source in Bundestag’s defense committee.

This was “made very clear” by German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen and Bundeswehr chief of staff Gen Volker Wieker during preliminary hearings at Bundestag’s defense committee on Wednesday, Bild claims, adding that it's unclear how many special troops could be sent to Syria.

The newspaper reports that possible missions for the KSK unit on the ground could be, among others, rescue operations to “liberate downed Tornado pilots.” It is yet unknown whether the Bundestag’s approval on Friday included such kind of missions.

Read more
German Bundestag approves sending 1,200 troops on anti-ISIS 'support' mission in Syria
Some in Germany claim the Syrian deployment would necessitate boosting the country's army, considering the Bundeswehr currently runs two additional operations on remote theatres.

Head of the Bonn-based Association of Bundeswehr Personnel Lt Col André Wüstner told Neue German media on Friday, German military would “need at least 5,000 or 10,000 soldiers more,” quoted as saying by Tagesschau. To Wüstner, the number of personnel available may become a pressing issue as from January 2016 “over 20,000 soldiers” will find themselves in “deployments across Afghanistan, which is prolonged, and also in Northern Iraq and Mali.”

Earlier on Friday, Germany's Bundestag has approved contribution to the military efforts against Islamic State in Syria. 445 out of 598 MPs voted for military action with 146 voting against. Seven members of Bundestag abstained.

Germany will deploy 6 Tornado reconnaissance jets, a frigate to back up the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle already present in Syrian waters, a refueling aircraft, and up to 1,200 troops to Syria, according to Reuters. Berlin says the mission will be of “support” nature only, as the German air detachment will not take any part in the airstrikes against Islamic State’s targets.

Any thoughts on a potential KSK deployment?
I am all for this

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom