What's new

General Elections 1970

East was a majority...
but West was politically dominant....

how did that happen?

When Pakistan was created both the East and the West were on the same page; in fact 4 of the 8 Prime Ministers before '71 were from East-Pakistan as were 2 of the 4 Governor Generals before '71 from East Pakistan with the last Governor General also from East Pakistan being the first President of Pakistan & the one responsible for imposing the first Martial Law in Pakistan's History !

Later on the East-West divide continued to grow due to socio-economic disparity between the two wings some of which was due to historical reasoning such as the Bengalis were never recruited into the Army since the British Left and most of Bengalis in the Civil Services were Hindus who left for India in '47 and some was because of misappropriation of funds between the East-West such as the East not getting their fair share of development funds despite contributing the most to the country's exports.

This disparity was exploited by opportunists both in the East and the West which finally led to terrorist insurgencies where West-Pakistani Civilians and Pro-Pakistan Bengalis were being targeted in East Pakistan and an Army Crackdown in response to that which has been accused of human rights abuses !

When Pakistan was created both the East and the West were on the same page; in fact 4 of the 8 Prime Ministers before '71 were from East-Pakistan as were 2 of the 4 Governor Generals before '71 from East Pakistan with the last Governor General also from East Pakistan being the first President of Pakistan & the one responsible for imposing the first Martial Law in Pakistan's History !

Later on the East-West divide continued to grow due to socio-economic disparity between the two wings some of which was due to historical reasoning such as the Bengalis were never recruited into the Army since the British Left and most of Bengalis in the Civil Services were Hindus who left for India in '47 and some was because of misappropriation of funds between the East-West such as the East not getting their fair share of development funds despite contributing the most to the country's exports.

This disparity was exploited by opportunists both in the East and the West which finally led to terrorist insurgencies where West-Pakistani Civilians and Pro-Pakistan Bengalis were being targeted in East Pakistan and an Army Crackdown in response to that which has been accused of human rights abuses !
:disagree::disagree::disagree:

uhmm!
this is so confusing...
if a person form FATA meets someone from Balochistan and another from Punjab...
which language would they speak?

It shouldn't be confusing; Urdu is spoken and understood by almost all Pakistanis in varying degrees from the icy steeps of Skardu to the tropical beaches of Baluchistan hence why its our National Language because its our Lingua Franca - our common tongue....our mode of communication with each other.

So a person from FATA would be speaking in Urdu to a person from Baluchistan and a person from Punjab and thats exactly what we do every day !

Don't try to emotionally blackmail me ! :cray:

Admit it....you just wanted to protect your Fish and Rice recipe from us hence why you went for Independence ! :mad:

ahh so everyone speaks at least 2 languages?

Most of the time its atleast 3 ! :)

Then again you'd find many Pakistanis who can speak 5-6 languages maybe more !

It shouldn't be confusing; Urdu is spoken and understood by almost all Pakistanis in varying degrees from the icy steeps of Skardu to the tropical beaches of Baluchistan hence why its our National Language because its our Lingua Franca - our common tongue....our mode of communication with each other.

So a person from FATA would be speaking in Urdu to a person from Baluchistan and a person from Punjab and thats exactly what we do every day !

Don't try to emotionally blackmail me ! :cray:

Admit it....you just wanted to protect your Fish and Rice recipe from us hence why you went for Independence ! :mad:

hahaha.... ook ok i get it... :) it was confusing because here basically we all only speak spanish....
wow 5 or 6.. how many do you speak? :D

hahaha.... ook ok i get it... :) it was confusing because here basically we all only speak spanish....

Only 3 ! :(

Urdu, Punjabi & English !

But I can understand & speak broken Saraiki, Potohari and Hindko too ! :)

ooooh wow!
Saraiki, Potohari and Hindko...where are they spoken???
is pakistani punjabi the same than indian punjabi?

Only 3 ! :(

Urdu, Punjabi & English !

But I can understand & speak broken Saraiki, Potohari and Hindko too ! :)

ooooh wow!

ooooh wow!

No, Pakistani Punjab and Indian Punjab share some similarities but they're also fairly different both in a cultural and linguistic sense !

In the North of Pakistani Punjab - You've got what is called the Potohar Region where Potohari is spoken !

In the North-West of Pakistani Punjab - You've got the Pukhtoon Belt of Attock and Mianwali where Punjabi, Saraiki and Pashto is spoken !

In the Center - You've got the Punjabi Belt where Punjabi, Urdu and pretty much every other language in Pakistan is spoken !

In the South - You've got the Saraiki Belt where Punjabi and Saraiki is spoken.

In the South-West - You've got the Baluch areas where Baluchi and Sulemanki Saraiki are spoken.

So even within the province of Punjab the ethnic and linguistic diversity is immense !

Even the spanish that is spoken in Mxico varies in dialect. And in all the countries that speak spanish one thing said in Mexico could mean an entirely different thing in Cuba. By the way welcome to the forum. Komoestas Sinora/sinorita. Kipasa. Most of what I remember from my days of talking speak able spanish in Houston, to not remembering much these days. hehe.
Also be verycareful in picking up info from here. Not everyone will give u a neutral view. So always try and double check information from the net.

And be very careful of @Armstrong lol. He is one of the good guys. heheh.

:haha::haha::haha:
1. we were majority
2. sure you can do local languages, will it hurt your body ? Many countries have many offical state languages so yea lame excuse.
you are giving written Pakistani source :disagree:
now shooooooooooooo :pop:

Never seen any Bengali who couldnt speak urdu with me, accept the fact that urdu/hindi is lingua franca of South Asia. From Afghanis to Bengalis speak and understand it.

No, Pakistani Punjab and Indian Punjab share some similarities but they're also fairly different both in a cultural and linguistic sense !

In the North of Pakistani Punjab - You've got what is called the Potohar Region where Potohari is spoken !

In the North-West of Pakistani Punjab - You've got the Pukhtoon Belt of Attock and Mianwali where Punjabi, Saraiki and Pashto is spoken !

In the Center - You've got the Punjabi Belt where Punjabi, Urdu and pretty much every other language in Pakistan is spoken !

In the South - You've got the Saraiki Belt where Punjabi and Saraiki is spoken.

In the South-West - You've got the Baluch areas where Baluchi and Sulemanki Saraiki are spoken.

So even within the province of Punjab the ethnic and linguistic diversity is immense !

OMG!! and then you tell me that it shouldnt be confusing! :)

it must be very nice....

Never seen any Bengali who couldnt speak urdu with me, accept the fact that urdu/hindi is lingua franca of South Asia. From Afghanis to Bengalis speak and understand it.

can afghans understand urdu?

OMG!! and then you tell me that it shouldnt be confusing! :)

it must be very nice....

I left out about a dozen other languages that are spoken in Punjab too in addition to those ! :lol:

We are ethnically and linguistically a very....very diverse country ! :)

:no::close_tema: most of us learned little bit hindi/urdu via media

Back
Top Bottom