What's new

Ganesha idols adorn Indian town before Hindu festival

it truly is !
u mean Narayan Sukta ? that's part of Yajurvedas and is more or less like appendix of Purush Shukta.The entire Virat roop of Narayan/Vishnu of Bhagvatgeeta comes from Purusha Shukta!

When you have admitted that Purusha Sukta speaks of Vishwaroopa then why are you pointing to the Yajurveda ? Purusha Sukta is in the Rg Veda.

Rg Veda has Vishnu Sukta in Tristubh Chanda and Jagati Chanda and it talks about Vamana Avatar.

Yeh sab kya batei ho rahi ha,,humare yaha,aaj ganesh(soubhagya) chaturthi ha,,kal Vishwakarma puja.
what abt u ppl?

Can someone explain the significance behind this? Is Ganesha considered a god?

When you have admitted that Purusha Sukta speaks of Vishwaroopa then why are you pointing to the Yajurveda ? Purusha Sukta is in the Rg Veda.

Rg Veda has Vishnu Sukta in Tristubh Chanda and Jagati Chanda and it talks about Vamana Avatar.
vishawaroopa of purush shukta is not dedicated to Vishnu or any other god. The description of Supreme creator ( Adi Purush) was used by vaishnavites later in Yajurveda and subsequently in other Vaishnav texts.

read urself !

Om sahasra shirsha purushaha
sahasrakshas sahasrapat
sa bhumim vishvato vritva
atyatishthad dhashangulam
(The Purusha (the Supreme Being) has a thousand heads, a thousand eyes and a thousand feet. He has enveloped this world from all sides and has (even) transcended it by ten angulas or inches)
purusha evedagam sarvam
yadbhutam yaccha bhavyam
utamritatva syeshanaha
yadanne natirohati

All this is verily the Purusha. All that which existed in the past or will come into being in the future (is also the Purusha). Also, he is the Lord of immortality. That which grows profusely by food (is also the Purusha).

does is ring some bells !

Can someone explain the significance behind this? Is Ganesha considered a god?
what do u exactly understand by the word "GOD" ?

I dont know, that's why I asked the question :)
Ganesha represents the "Remover of Obstacles" aspect of God. He also symbolises the child like benevolence of supreme being.
The idols of Hinduism are not mere idols but an iconology of many meanings. The iconology of Lord Ganesh is :

upload_2015-9-17_21-4-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-17_21-3-47.png
    upload_2015-9-17_21-3-47.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 15
waoooo nice thread op should be awarded TTA rank along with MOD keep it up bro:enjoy:

vishawaroopa of purush shukta is not dedicated to Vishnu or any other god. The description of Supreme creator ( Adi Purush) was used by vaishnavites later in Yajurveda and subsequently in other Vaishnav texts.

read urself !

Om sahasra shirsha purushaha
sahasrakshas sahasrapat
sa bhumim vishvato vritva
atyatishthad dhashangulam
(The Purusha (the Supreme Being) has a thousand heads, a thousand eyes and a thousand feet. He has enveloped this world from all sides and has (even) transcended it by ten angulas or inches)
purusha evedagam sarvam
yadbhutam yaccha bhavyam
utamritatva syeshanaha
yadanne natirohati

All this is verily the Purusha. All that which existed in the past or will come into being in the future (is also the Purusha). Also, he is the Lord of immortality. That which grows profusely by food (is also the Purusha).

does is ring some bells !

These verses do not stand in Isolation, they are similar to Mandala 7 which is the Vishnu Sukta which gives the same description to Vishnu. That is how we know Purusha Sukta talks about Vishnu.

Paro matraya tanva vrdhana na te mahitvam anv asnuvanti,
Ubhe te vidma rajasa pathivya visno deva tvam paramasya vitse,
Na te Visno jayamano na jato deva mahimnah param antam apa,
ud astabhna nakam rsvam brhantam dadhartha pracim kakubham prthivyah,
Irvati dhenumati hi bhutam suryavasini manuse dasasya,
vy astabhna rodasi visnav ete dadhartha prthivim abhito mayukhaih,
urum yajnaya cakrathur ulokam janayanta suryam usasam agnim,
dasasya cid vrsasiprasya maya jaghnathur nara prtanajyesu,

MEN cannot compete to your magnificence, who grows beyond all bound and measure with thy body.
Both thy two regions of the earth, O Visnu, we know: thou God, we know is the also the highest,
None who is born or being born, God Visnu, has reached the utmost limit of thy grandeur.
The vast hight of heaven has thou supported, and mapped and held earth's pinnacle securely.
Rich in sweet food we offer you, and rich in milk, with fertile pastures, you offer to do men service.
Both these worlds, Visnu, has thou mapped with your feet, and firmly fixed the earth with pegs around it.
You have made spacious room for sacrificing by generating Surya, Dawn, and Agni.
O Heroes, ye have conquered in your battles even the bull-jawed Dasa's wiles and magic.

Now go to the next chanda that talks bout Vishnu covering the three worlds in his strides.

:( missing the celebration... Pune and in my city.
Specially Ganapati dance...:nana::nana::nana:

These verses do not stand in Isolation, they are similar to Mandala 7 which is the Vishnu Sukta which gives the same description to Vishnu. That is how we know Purusha Sukta talks about Vishnu.

Paro matraya tanva vrdhana na te mahitvam anv asnuvanti,
Ubhe te vidma rajasa pathivya visno deva tvam paramasya vitse,
Na te Visno jayamano na jato deva mahimnah param antam apa,
ud astabhna nakam rsvam brhantam dadhartha pracim kakubham prthivyah,
Irvati dhenumati hi bhutam suryavasini manuse dasasya,
vy astabhna rodasi visnav ete dadhartha prthivim abhito mayukhaih,
urum yajnaya cakrathur ulokam janayanta suryam usasam agnim,
dasasya cid vrsasiprasya maya jaghnathur nara prtanajyesu,

MEN cannot compete to your magnificence, who grows beyond all bound and measure with thy body.
Both thy two regions of the earth, O Visnu, we know: thou God, we know is the also the highest,
None who is born or being born, God Visnu, has reached the utmost limit of thy grandeur.
The vast hight of heaven has thou supported, and mapped and held earth's pinnacle securely.
Rich in sweet food we offer you, and rich in milk, with fertile pastures, you offer to do men service.
Both these worlds, Visnu, has thou mapped with your feet, and firmly fixed the earth with pegs around it.
You have made spacious room for sacrificing by generating Surya, Dawn, and Agni.
O Heroes, ye have conquered in your battles even the bull-jawed Dasa's wiles and magic.

Now go to the next chanda that talks bout Vishnu covering the three worlds in his strides.
I chose to disagree. no where in Purusha sukta ( I gave only two verses out of 24) it mention any one else other than (Adi) Purusha.
More over the verses of purusa shukta are more or less adopted in NaRAYA SHukta ( Yajurveda .. much later) and then in other vaishnav texts.

here is one thing more which will interest you.

The part of description of Vishnu Lying on the bed of lotus floating in ksheer sagar also owns its origin from a Rigvedic sukta. guess which?

I am just active about my basic rights, I don't want what happened to us muslims of Lucknow at the hands of Indians to happen to either muslims in India loyal or not or hindus in Pakistan loyal or not. Minorities need to be treated with respect. The wave of Hindutva radicalization in said country is damaging everything. Muslims might be forced to rebel.

You have a habit of digressing,also a habit of getting insecure with small things.I know that minorities are being wiped out on daily basis in your country,but that doesn't mean just to feel secure you will target us.
Lastly plz worry about what is happening in your Muslim world before worrying about how we will hurt Muslim feelings with our presence

I chose to disagree. no where in Purusha sukta ( I gave only two verses out of 24) it mention any one else other than (Adi) Purusha.
More over the verses of purusa shukta are more or less adopted in NaRAYA SHukta ( Yajurveda .. much later) and then in other vaishnav texts.

here is one thing more which will interest you.

The part of description of Vishnu Lying on the bed of lotus floating in ksheer sagar also owns its origin from a Rigvedic sukta. guess which?

You are going in circles. the Purusha sukta uses the same worlds to describe god as the words used for Vishnu. Selective quoting them mean nothing.

Vishnu as described is from Adi Mandala,

Ato deva avantu no yato Vishnur vicakrame
prithivyah sapta dhamabhih,
Idam Vishnur vi cakrame tredha ni dadhe padam,
samudham asya pamsure,
trini pada vi cakrame Vishnur gopa adabhyah,
ato dharmani dharayan,
Vishnoh karmani pasyata yato vratani paspase,
Idrasya yujyal sakha,
tad Vishnoh paramam padam sada pasyanti surayah,
diviva caksur atatam.
a tad vipraso vipanyavo jagrvamsah sam indhate,
Vishnor yat paramam padam,

Gods bless us on the place Vishnu strode the seven corners of the earth,
Where Vishnu stepped when thrice he planted his foot and the whole (universe) was covered by his foots dust,
Three steps when Vishnu took, the infallible protector who established Dharma (Rightousness)
Look upon Vishnus work, who has let himself been seen, friend to Indra,
Even the Sun looks upon Vishnus everlasting feet,as the divine eye of Heaven,
This is the Vinshu the chanters sing in awareness that lights them, forever at his feet.

PS: Don't bother to dazzle me with selective quotes from the Vedas since I have read all of it.

Back
Top Bottom