What's new

Fury as Rohingya refugees are sent back by Thailand

manlion

Reaction score
Fury as 1,300 Rohingya refugees are sent back by Thailand | South China Morning PostFury as 1,300 Rohingya refugees are sent back by Thailand | South China Morning Post

_72959850_020067186-1.jpg

Thailand has sent about 1,300 Rohingya refugees back to Myanmar, a top official said yesterday, dismaying rights campaigners who warned that the minority Muslims face persecution in the former junta-ruled country.

Thousands of Rohingya, described by the United Nations as among the world's most persecuted minorities, have fled sectarian violence in western Myanmar in rickety boats since 2012, mostly heading for Malaysia.

About 2,000 who arrived in Thai waters were locked up in overcrowded immigration prisons or held in shelters for women and children.

Thai authorities began deporting the Rohingya in September through a border checkpoint in the province of Ranong, national immigration chief Lieutenant General Pharnu Kerdlarpphon said. "The whole deportation process was completed in early November," he added.

It was the first official news of the deportation. It is unclear what happened to them after they left. Rights activists criticised the move to return them to Myanmar, where they face travel restrictions, forced labour and limited access to health care and education.

"The deportation of Rohingya is a blatant violation of international laws that prohibit sending back refugees and asylum seekers to a place where they can face danger and persecution," said Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher with New York-based Human Rights Watch.

Rights groups say the Rohingya often fall into the hands of people-traffickers, sometimes after they are deported.

Sunai urged the Thai authorities to explain what had happened to the 1,300 Rohingya, saying the foreign ministry did not appear to have been involved in the deportation.

But National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut said the majority of the Rohingya had wanted to leave Thailand.

"Most of them volunteered to go back because Thailand was not their destination anyway," he said. "We facilitated their return and I am sure that in Myanmar they have their place."

Thailand said last year it was investigating allegations that some army officials in the kingdom were involved in the trafficking of Rohingya

So you see Humans as Muslims and Non Muslims . How very 21st Century of you .
no myquestion is there is serious problem in syria but yet countries like saudi and other rich muslim nation are keeping quiet rather than allowing them to mmigrate to their country ,but at same time spend billions of dollars on islam propogation...iam just curious not that i hate muslims

no myquestion is there is serious problem in syria but yet countries like saudi and other rich muslim nation are keeping quiet rather than allowing them to mmigrate to their country ,but at same time spend billions of dollars on islam propogation...iam just curious not that i hate muslims

What does "spending billion of dollars" with "Islam propagation" have to do with situation in Myanmar ?

why is just nonmuslims nations like thailand accepting rohingya ,why cant muslim nation like pakistan and other rich muslim world come to their help

how about Bangladesh ?
btw Myanmar is a rogue country that kills its minorities ...

It's about priorities. Giving people refuge is more logical than daw'ah. But Saudi donors(for example) won't agree. :coffee:

So, if tomorrow Hindus are being persecuted in say Pakistan, are you suggesting that all Hindu organisations stop using money to propagate Hinduism and instead use their monies to attend to the refugees? I don't believe that happened in Uganda in the 60s or in Pakistan or Bangladesh when Hindus were being persecuted. I stand corrected on that point though

So, if tomorrow Hindus are being persecuted in say Pakistan, are you suggesting that all Hindu organisations stop using money to propagate Hinduism and instead use their monies to attend to the refugees? I don't believe that happened in Uganda in the 60s or in Pakistan or Bangladesh when Hindus were being persecuted. I stand corrected on that point though
Nope. Helping refugees and spreading faith need not be mutually exclusive. I did not say that divert the money from this to that. I said - make way for the refugees as well.
^^Remove the 'if' and the 'were' with 'when' and 'are'. :ashamed:

Nope. Helping refugees and spreading faith need not be mutually exclusive. I did not say that divert the money from this to that. I said - make way for the refugees as well.
^^Remove the 'if' and the 'were' with 'when' and 'are'. :ashamed:

Well you brought religion into a refugee crisis. My point is keep it aside. These are people first and Muslims second

Well you brought religion into a refugee crisis. My point is keep it aside. These are people first and Muslims second

Point being these people who talk big about Muslim Unity and ummah do very little when it actually comes taking action on helping their fellow Muslim citizens .. All they can do is talk talk talk

Point being these people who talk big about Muslim Unity and ummah do very little when it actually comes taking action on helping their fellow Muslim citizens .. All they can do is talk talk talk

The Muslim ummah only exists when a Muslim requires a favour from another Muslim. Trust me, I am familiar enough with that concept since I have many Muslims in my family. Other than that, we cannot be expected to lose our humanity due to the ignorance of a few

Nope. You did that. Not me. A sheikh would not mind building a swanky new mosque but ask him to spend on women literacy in Bangladesh and he will get cold feet. IMO it is hypocrisy and misplaced priorities. You want to dig religion out of this - be my guest. But I ain't gonna patronize. :disagree:

Do study about Rohingya in Bangladesh, then question

angry ? why don't BD take back them ?

Second, the Government of Miyanmar (GoM) continues to deny citizenship to the Rohingyas claiming that the Rohingya ancestors, originating from areas now part of Bangladesh, unlawfully trespassed into and settled in the Rakhine region. The Government of Bangladesh (GoB), on its part, argues that it is an internal problem of Myanmar, and a more accommodative GoB policy regarding the Rohingyas would simply encourage continued governance failure in Myanmar.

Back
Top Bottom