What's new

From assault to sniper rifles, machine guns to carbines, soldiers yet to get basic infantry weapons

ashok321

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...sic-infantry-weapons/articleshow/61095912.cms

from-assault-to-sniper-rifles-machine-guns-to-carbines-soldiers-yet-to-get-basic-infantry-weapons.jpg

NEW DELHI: Indian Army's foot soldiers are still nowhere close to getting basic modern infantry weapons, ranging from assault rifles and sniper guns to light machine guns and close-quarter battle carbines, after a decade of acquisition projects from abroad being repeatedly scrapped as well as failure of indigenous options to pass muster till now.

The huge delays in the induction of `small arms' for infantry battalions figured in the Army commanders' conference last week, with Gen Bipin Rawat telling his senior lieutenant generals that “our approach to procurement process needs to be balanced with focus at the right places“.

Though plans are on track to plug major operational gaps, `small arms' remain a big worry . As per overall plans, the 12-lakh strong Army needs 8,18,500 new-generation assault rifles, 4,18,300 close-quarter battle (CQB) carbines, 43,700 light machine guns and 5,679 sniper rifles. But the induction plans, which are supposed to include direct purchase of an initial number of weapons from a foreign vendor followed by largescale indigenous production with technology transfer, have failed to materialise so far.

c2.jpg

In September 2016, the Army was forced to re-launch its global hunt for new-generation 7.62 mm x 51 mm assault rifles to replace the glitchprone 5.56 mm INSAS (Indian small arms system) rifles after similar bids over the last decade were scrapped.

Sources said the technical parameters or GSQRs (general staff qualitative requirements) for the new assault rifles, with an effective range of 500 metres, have now been finalised. “The case will now be moved for the defence min istry's approval under the `Buy & Make (Indian)' model before the formal tender or RFP (request for proposal) is floated,“ said a source.

Similarly , the procurement case for 5.56 x 45 mm CQB carbines, with an effective 200metres range, was re-launched recently after the earlier one was scrapped last year. The defence ministry had junked the earlier case, dating back to 2006, on the ground that it had become “a resultant single vendor situation“. The story of the 7.62 mm x 51mm caliber light machine guns is similar, with the Army back to square one after a long-winded procurement process. The defence ministry in August “retracted“ the tender because only IWI was left in the fray after protracted field trials from December 2015 to February 2017.

I just hope india soldiers can live through deepavali.

hope no casualty next 24 hours

Yeah, it is. The same junk which has been killing scores of terrorists in the Kashmir valley

A rusty knife can kill somebody too but its a poor weapon

Its not me saying insas is junk its your own military, how about you blame them you clown

Its not me saying insas is junk its your own military, how about you blame them you clown
I never blamed you nor any Pakistani. I don't see any reason for you to get offended. Well coming to the topic, NDA never gave the free hand to the top brass of armed forces who've been favoring foreign firms for the kickbacks/commissions they receive which has been highly encouraged by the UPA regime.

Indigenously developed ARs like the Excalibur, MCIWS, Ghatak, Amogh etc have performed exceedingly well during their all-weather trails but IA's top brass is still making some unreasonable claims and changing the tender requirements every now and then only because they wanted to favor a foreign firm offering them the highest commissions and for this, they would make sure they kill any indigenous project in the making

I never blamed you nor any Pakistani. I don't see any reason for you to get offended. Well coming to the topic, NDA never gave the free hand to the top brass of armed forces who've been favoring foreign firms for the kickbacks/commissions they receive which has been highly encouraged by the UPA regime.

Indigenously developed ARs like the Excalibur, MCIWS, Ghatak, Amogh etc have performed exceedingly well during their all-weather trails but IA's top brass is still making some unreasonable claims and changing the tender requirements every now and then only because they wanted to favor a foreign firm offering them the highest commissions and for this, they would make sure they kill any indigenous project in the making

They have performed poorly and below standard and indian military desperately needs alternative reliable weapons

You can put whichever fan boy spin you want

They have performed poorly and below standard and indian military desperately needs alternative reliable weapons

You can put whichever fan boy spin you want
Living in your own delusion won't change things on the ground

I believe their Insas and other homegrown might not be as bad as their military makes it out to be and definitely not as good as the fanboys make it out... somewhere in the middle... mediocre performance at best.

For GOD sake you have one of the biggest billionaire tycoons. Ask them to get guns with TOT and produce them in India. Your company has already started to produce Tavor and should also go for Galil and that AK ALPHA. You can also easily get Rifles from Czech Republic and several other countries

For GOD sake you have one of the biggest billionaire tycoons. Ask them to get guns with TOT and produce them in India. Your company has already started to produce Tavor and should also go for Galil and that AK ALPHA. You can also easily get Rifles from Czech Republic and several other countries

Agreed.

Atleast we can equip our frontline forces with Tavors

Yeah, it is. The same junk which has been killing scores of terrorists in the Kashmir valley
Not really.. both kashmiri fighters (killing indian soldiers) and Indian occupational forces prefer AK47s.

Your troops even in 7 states prefered AKs.

It's a peculiar Indian habit, they will never admit mistakes and face reality. If you point out something shitty, they will say you have shit too, instead of solving their shit and admitting it.

Back
Top Bottom