What's new

Friends of Turkey: A light-hearted thread.

“YOU MUST NOW CONSIDER WHAT WILL BE THE OUTCOME OF THIS ORDER!”

Sultan Abdülhamid II wrote a fairly aggressive response to the British, when a comedy play about the life of the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) was being performed.

FB_IMG_1511843088557_20171230221336825_20171231175031339-1-1_20180723095900995.jpg

In the late 1800’s, it became known to Sultan Abdülhamid II that a comedy play about the life of the Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) was being performed at a theater in Paris, France. As the Caliph of all Muslims, this was an intolerable affront to Islam that Sultan Abdülhamid II wanted to put an end to. He wrote an ultimatum letter to the French government informing them that he was intent on stopping the play. After deliberating the matter, not only did the French government put an end to the play, they also exiled many of the actors to the United Kingdom to appease the Sultan.

After some time, the Sultan learned that the same derogatory play was going to start being performed in London. Sultan Abdülhamid II reacted to this news and wrote a letter to the British government with a similar ultimatum, and informed them that the play had recently been prohibited in France. The British government responded to the Sultan’s letter by stating “This is not France. We have freedom in our borders.

Upon receiving this letter, Sultan Abdülhamid II wrote a fairly aggressive response to the British and stated:

My ancestors gave their lives without hesitation for the sake and success of Islam. In this vein, I will decisively prepare an order to the entire worldwide Muslim nation (Ummah) and inform them of your continued haughty attitude and persistence in allowing this disrespectful play to continue.

YOU MUST NOW CONSIDER WHAT WILL BE THE OUTCOME OF THIS ORDER!”

The British, having had extensive diplomatic ties with Sultan Abdülhamid II had an in-depth insight into his personality. They realized that his words were not an empty threat, and immediately put an end to the theatrical play.

Ottoman Imperial Archives

Salt bae's flagship restaurant in Etiler.

Zorlu mall

Loooool Turkey is so much more than the Ottoman fantasy our Ertugrul fans think it is.

I have seen some music videos on previous posts. Most of them not really my taste. Turkish music is very broad so I guess anybody can find something for themselves. I will post a few here I listen a lot these days.

Gaye Su Akyol

She is my favourite these days. She has a good voice fine, but what I like about her is the music style. Kinda like rock, psychedelic, oriental, classic but actually none of these. She has her own style and guitars are pretty good.

Altın Gün

Anatolian rock was a thing from 70's but this band is getting it all back. They are pretty good. This concert is from Seattle last year. They did an amazing job. Looks like americans enjoyed it too. I usually open this concert whenever I am doing some errands around the house.

Sezen Aksu

She is the diva of Turkish pop. Never gets old. I am not a pop fan but 90's turkish pop was pretty good. And she has the best love songs so..

Sebnem Ferah

I think she is the best rock female vocal in Turkey. I moved the united states in February 2007. A month later in march 10th she had a concert in istanbul. This concert is the best live performance ever from a Turkish singer I have witnessed. I was so sad missing that concert. Thank god Youtube has almost all the songs from the concert. This is my fav.

Pentagram

Probably the best Turkish metal band. I love some other ones too but Pentagram is my middle school favorite. I listen metal when I am returning home from fishing that I am too tired to drive. Aggressive music keeps me focused. This song actually is about Ottoman Sultans. Cage he is talking about is not the cage as you know it. See when Sultans stoped killing their brothers when they rised to the throne instead they house arrested them. Princes were not allowed out from their room any had no contact with outside other than servants and family. If they become a king one day all that mental issues due to isolation had bad effects on the empire.

I have seen some music videos on previous posts. Most of them not really my taste. Turkish music is very broad so I guess anybody can find something for themselves. I will post a few here I listen a lot these days.

Gaye Su Akyol

She is my favourite these days. She has a good voice fine, but what I like about her is the music style. Kinda like rock, psychedelic, oriental, classic but actually none of these. She has her own style and guitars are pretty good.

Altın Gün

Anatolian rock was a thing from 70's but this band is getting it all back. They are pretty good. This concert is from Seattle last year. They did an amazing job. Looks like americans enjoyed it too. I usually open this concert whenever I am doing some errands around the house.

Sezen Aksu

She is the diva of Turkish pop. Never gets old. I am not a pop fan but 90's turkish pop was pretty good. And she has the best love songs so..

Sebnem Ferah

I think she is the best rock female vocal in Turkey. I moved the united states in February 2007. A month later in march 10th she had a concert in istanbul. This concert is the best live performance ever from a Turkish singer I have witnessed. I was so sad missing that concert. Thank god Youtube has almost all the songs from the concert. This is my fav.

Pentagram

Probably the best Turkish metal band. I love some other ones too but Pentagram is my middle school favorite. I listen metal when I am returning home from fishing that I am too tired to drive. Aggressive music keeps me focused. This song actually is about Ottoman Sultans. Cage he is talking about is not the cage as you know it. See when Sultans stoped killing their brothers when they rised to the throne instead they house arrested them. Princes were not allowed out from their room any had no contact with outside other than servants and family. If they become a king one day all that mental issues due to isolation had bad effects on the empire.

I quite liked Sebnem Ferah's Sil bastan and one other track used to listen months back. Her others were not to my taste. Sezen Aksu is well a legend. Others in list list meh.. no offence.
One of my recent find is Ay Yuzulum By Murat Gogebakan.
I used to listen to Ebru Gundes a lot years back. Most of her tracks are Arabesk. Same as in Pakistan, Turkey used to produce great music in 90s and 2000s and now everything's so bland. Thats just my observation.

Back
Top Bottom