What's new

France says it cannot deliver Mistral warship to Russia over Ukraine

Just feed your Hyuga some Big Macs instead of Sushi, i'm sure it'll grow in size :P

But seriously, Mistral maybe cheaper than the Hyuga, but you have to consider the armament on the Hyunga, im sure when you start adding Mk 41s, Phalanxs, torpedoes the price tag will go up.

Along with modifying the systems to the ones the JDF is used to the tag will go higher.

brah even at a billion a pop the Mistral is a steal IMO

That is right. Its almost as large as the Chinese Carrier Liaoning (standard displacement of 53,000 tonnes), the WASP class has a standard displacement of 45,000 tonnes.

The Liaoning can carry up to 30+ aircraft plus 20 or so helicopters. The WASP class can carry up to 22+ F-35Bs, and up to 15 helicopters. Its actually beginner than the INS Viraat, which has a displacement of only 23,000 tonnes. It carries the same amount of tonnage as the INS Vikramaditya, which also is at 45,000 tonnes.

In all tense and purposes the WASP Class or the AMERICA Class can be considered Aircraft Carriers....

The WASP's deck won't withstand the thermal effects of F35B STOVL without modification, same goes for Mistral.

poor russia no place to put her KA-52K in the foreseeable future

Russian-Navy-Ka-52K-Alligator-for-Mistral-Class.jpg

time to call the Chinese :china:

I'm sure the Russians can purchase the Yuzhao Type 071 of the People's Liberation Army Navy:

Yuzhao_%28Type_071%29_Class_Amphibious_Ship.JPG

Its not that bad, it even has a tonnage of 20,000. Good news is that its cheaper than the Mistral, its at $300 million per ship. :-)

1 Mistral is worth $600 Million. 1 Izumo Class is worth $1.2 Billion (without armaments) = $1.4 Billion + with armament.

Why, even these ships are cheaper than our smaller Lighter Carrier, the Hyuga Class which is worth 100 Billion Yen a piece, equivalent to about $950 Million.

Hyuga Class

16ddh2.jpg

image063.jpg

Izumo Class

izumo-02.jpg

9zTXn4E.jpg

Wow, Nice quality toys Japans got there. Japan sure got a nice/powerful Navy. Good Japan focuses most of its defence budget on its Navy.:enjoy:

Well to be honest Japans products tend to be rather quite costly when compared to those of the west/or any other country for that matter. Even if/when they aren't really on par with those of the west/U.S. Can you explain such high prices for Japanese goods why Nihonji? Is it because of raw materials(which Japan lacks and has to import) or?:what:

On another note, whats the displacement of Hyuga and Izumo class, Nihonji?

brah even at a billion a pop the Mistral is a steal IMO

The Mistral is equipped, within it's blueprint, to handle the armament given to it:

Storage:
59 vehicles (including 13 AMX-56 Leclerc tanks) or a 40-strong Leclerc tank battalion

Troops:
900 (short duration)
450 (long durations)
150 (serving as operational headquarters)
20 officers, 80 petty officers, 60 quarter-masters

Weapons:

2 × Simbad systems
4 × 12.7 mm M2-HB Browning machine guns
16 heavy or 35 light helicopters
6 helicopter landing spots

Any change to add some other systems like the Mk41, CRMG, SAMs, Missile Cells, will require drastic blueprint modifications.

Changes to blueprints is pretty much making a different ship. The Mistral is priced at $600M because the French marketing team thinks it can produce enough ships to offset the R&D and also assembly line.

Much like the UAE's F-16 Block 60? Same design, but different layout. Lockheed charged for the modifications, but will repay UAE royalties if the jet sells.

I'm sure the Russians can purchase the Yuzhao Type 071 of the People's Liberation Army Navy:

Yuzhao_%28Type_071%29_Class_Amphibious_Ship.JPG

Its not that bad, it even has a tonnage of 20,000. Good news is that its cheaper than the Mistral, its at $300 million per ship. :-)

looks like it can't carry many helicopters though :tdown:

and jesus christ only 300 million a ship and we are paying almost 2 billion for San Antonio class.......grrrrrrrr we suck at bang for buck

On another note, whats the displacement of Hyuga and Izumo class, Nihonji?

Full load displacement of the Hyuga Class is 19,000 tonnes. Full load displacement of the Izumo Class is 27,000 tonnes.

It can carry up to 4 helis and can transport a host of material, which , i think that is the main goal of the Russians.

I doubt France would hand over anything for free.What would stop Russia from backing out the second they got the plans?
why else you think they are so defence to cut the deal, they know they are the ones who will lose out the most

and jesus christ only 300 million a ship and we are paying almost 2 billion for San Antonio class.......grrrrrrrr we suck at bang for buck

The cost of 1 Hyuga class, we can buy 3 of the Chinese' Yunzhao Type 071. :lol:

That's what i was thinking as well, thats the main draw back. Though i never knew China makes amphibious transport ships as well. Nice ship though. Kudos.

[/quote]
The Mistral is equipped, within it's blueprint, to handle the armament given to it:

Storage:
59 vehicles (including 13 AMX-56 Leclerc tanks) or a 40-strong Leclerc tank battalion

Troops:
900 (short duration)
450 (long durations)
150 (serving as operational headquarters)
20 officers, 80 petty officers, 60 quarter-masters

Weapons:

2 × Simbad systems
4 × 12.7 mm M2-HB Browning machine guns
16 heavy or 35 light helicopters
6 helicopter landing spots

Any change to add some other systems like the Mk41, CRMG, SAMs, Missile Cells, will require drastic blueprint modifications.

Changes to blueprints is pretty much making a different ship. The Mistral is priced at $600M because the French marketing team thinks it can produce enough ships to offset the R&D and also assembly line.

Much like the UAE's F-16 Block 60? Same design, but different layout. Lockheed charged for the modifications, but will repay UAE royalties if the jet sells.

meh most western tanks are all the same dimensions almost.
most weapons systems are easily adaptable to any ship...for instance. Phalanx and RIM-116, you can plop on some bushmaster as well.

mk-41 is a different case and I don't think any helicopter carrier uses it.

so I doubt any major modifications would be needed. that's why the Russians could put Russia weapons on it with no problem

That's what i was thinking as well, thats the main draw back. Though i never knew China makes amphibious ships as well. Nice ship though. Kudos.

I do believe that the PLAN is designing a new AAS prototype that is similar to the Wasp Class. I can confirm this from military sources of the JMSDF. :)

Well, better to save more money to invest more in the indigenous aircraft carrier project.

Well. More sense to free Nikolayev's shipyards in Novorussia from Ukrainian junta.
And about the fact that Americans are able to push on the French government - it is pity.

Let's hope the blueprint of the Ulyanovsk supercarrier is still available.

Back
Top Bottom