What's new

Former Pak pm admits that kasab is pakistani

ISLAMABAD: In a potential embarrassment for the Zardari government, the former Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif, has revealed that Pakistani authorities have sealed Faridkot village in the Punjab province, to which Pakistani media have traced the origins of the lone surviving gunman from the Mumbai attacks, and prevented journalists from meeting his family.

The disclosure is bound to prompt India and the international community to ask if the Pakistani authorities are involved in covering up Mohammed Ajmal Amir’s tracks to the village.

Two Pakistani media outlets and one British newspaper have independently traced Ajmal Amir’s origins to the village. President Asif Ali Zardari has said this was not enough evidence to establish the gunman’s links to Pakistan.

But it was far from clear if Mr. Sharif, the Pakistan Muslim League (N) leader, was finding fault with the government for hiding the gunman’s nationality or if he was questioning Ajmal Amir’s “involvement” in the Mumbai carnage.

“It has been said that this Ajmal ‘Kasab’ belongs to Faridkot village. I have personally checked that the village and its surrounding areas were cordoned off. His parents are not being allowed to meet anyone,” Mr. Sharif said in an interview to Geo Television on Thursday night.

“Why, and for what reason has this been done? If he is not involved [in the Mumbai attacks], then he is not involved. People should be allowed to meet everyone in the village,” he said. “The media should be allowed to meet his parents, and let them say they have not seen him for two or three years.”

“All this points to the fact that we too need to set our own house in order,” said Mr. Sharif. “At this time, it is presenting a picture of a failed state,” he said.

Also, in an apparent bid to shed his reputation as a bedfellow of religious extremists and somewhat contradictorily to his remarks about Ajmal Amir, Mr. Sharif said it was time to reflect on why Pakistan was being blamed for most of terrorist acts in the world. “We should accept some responsibility for this sorry state of affairs and expose those who nurtured such elements during the past eight years,” he said.

PTI reports:

The Pakistan government said it was “unfortunate” that Mr. Sharif chose a “sensitive time” to launch an attack against it.

In New Delhi, Union Minister Kapil Sibal welcomed Mr. Sharif’s statement acknowledging that Ajmal is a Pakistani.

http://www.hindu.com/2008/12/20/stories/2008122053370100.htm

Last edited:
Guys,

This is the time GOP should show some action. Not just fake house arrests or demanding again some proof. They should co-operate.
My pakistan frens in this forum demanding abt issues raised by anthuley or kurkure murder case. I agree that need to be addressed. But that is nothing to prevent terrors are not pakistani.

My conclusion is terror is a terror. He could be Indian or Pakistani; May be hindu or muslim..Nation or the religen are not the reason for him to become a terror. Who ever he/she is need to be punished nomatter which country he is in....

Why are we hiding the facts...about the so called "pakistani born terrorist"
Who cares if this kasab charcter was born here...we are not repsonbile for all his actions....this just makes us look guilty...

Cordoning off Kasab’s village bid to hide facts’
Afzal Khan writes from Islamabad

The government has cordoned off the Faridkot district, hometown of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman in the Mumbai carnage, and stopped reporters from interviewing his parents, PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif has disclosed.

Talking to Geo TV, Sharif said the government action betrays an attempt to hide some facts about the identity of Ajmal Kasab.

He asked the government to come clean and let the world know whether Ajmal belongs to Faridkot or not. The media should be allowed to meet Ajmal’s parents who have reportedly said that Ajmal had fled their home four years ago, he said.

In an apparent bid to shed his conservative reputation and distance himself from religious extremists, Sharif said Pakistan is being blamed for most of terrorist acts in the world and finds itself isolated internationally.

“We should accept some responsibility for this sorry state of affairs and expose those who had nurtured such elements during the past eight years of Gen. Musharraf's rule,” Sharif said.

He said India and Pakistan must settle their disputes through dialogue. This medium should also be adopted to resolve conflict with the militants in tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.

r u seriously gonna trust sharif's word?
i mean he is one of the most corrupt politicians in the country :tsk:

Nawaz Sharif is today Pakistan's biggest leader at individual level. If he says some thing it means a lot and can not be downplayed as many respected members feel here.

This is not question of embarrassment if one of big leader comes out of denial mode, we are should respect and support for his courage.

Please note identifying and solving problem should be main aim and not denying it or covering problem by giving intellectual misleading arguments.

I think no one is accepting truth that in this region youths are getting radicalized, rather than giving pen and book in their hand they are brain washed to take AK-47. And if we still deny this, then all indication of total disaster waiting for all of us.

Why are we hiding the facts...about the so called "pakistani born terrorist"
Who cares if this kasab charcter was born here...we are not repsonbile for all his actions....this just makes us look guilty...

Cordoning off Kasab’s village bid to hide facts’
Afzal Khan writes from Islamabad

The government has cordoned off the Faridkot district, hometown of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman in the Mumbai carnage, and stopped reporters from interviewing his parents, PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif has disclosed.

Talking to Geo TV, Sharif said the government action betrays an attempt to hide some facts about the identity of Ajmal Kasab.

He asked the government to come clean and let the world know whether Ajmal belongs to Faridkot or not. The media should be allowed to meet Ajmal’s parents who have reportedly said that Ajmal had fled their home four years ago, he said.

In an apparent bid to shed his conservative reputation and distance himself from religious extremists, Sharif said Pakistan is being blamed for most of terrorist acts in the world and finds itself isolated internationally.

“We should accept some responsibility for this sorry state of affairs and expose those who had nurtured such elements during the past eight years of Gen. Musharraf's rule,” Sharif said.

He said India and Pakistan must settle their disputes through dialogue. This medium should also be adopted to resolve conflict with the militants in tribal areas bordering Afghanistan.

Faridkot has had journalists of every nationality swarming inside it for the last 2 weeks.

Jabba seems to have been drugged out the last 2 weeks to not realize that Faridkot has not been "cordoned off" in the slightest. Perhaps someone should give the fool some of the Faridkot articles written by Washington Post and TimesOnline.

It may indeed be overwhelming, but so far the evidence and the case has been played out in the media, not through official channels, as Pakistan has demanded.

The government cannot act, and should not act, on the basis of media reports in this issue. India needs to cooperate and share all evidence and information through the proper channels - that has been Pakistan's position from day one.
This is because of the complete and understandable lack of trust in Pakistan's 'proper channels'. Availing any information directly to Pakistan's government automatically compromises it, and ends up doing far more damage. I think involving a multitude of interlocutors like the western intelligence agencies and the media is probably the best thing the GoI has done for everyone.

"I have checked myself. His (Kasab) house and village has been cordoned off by the security agencies. His parents are not allowed to meet anybody. I don't understand why it has been done," said Shraif in an interview to the Geo News TV channel.

He is right on this statement, by putting security agencies and not allowing anyone to question the parents puts even more suspision. If no media can question the parents, it does not matter want India says it will never correlate with Pakistan.

I dont think world knew Mushrraf before he became president. He become popular suddenly at international level. More than any islamic leader. Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh is still unpopolar outside the country. But Pakistan didnt support Mushrraf. Bhutto and Sherif are the two other leader world know...
Now Sherif is the only leader who can represent Pakistan at international level. Next in line is Imran Khan.

Now pakistan ppl should trust one of these folks and get them to power. I think Imran Khan is the best option front of the country. He has great qualities. More trustable than Sherif.

I dont think world knew Mushrraf before he became president. He become popular suddenly at international level. More than any islamic leader. Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh is still unpopolar outside the country. But Pakistan didnt support Mushrraf. Bhutto and Sherif are the two other leader world know...
Now Sherif is the only leader who can represent Pakistan at international level. Next in line is Imran Khan.

Now pakistan ppl should trust one of these folks and get them to power. I think Imran Khan is the best option front of the country. He has great qualities. More trustable than Sherif.

LOL man you need to do your research again. Last i checked Imran Khan was President of the smallest party ever to win any seats in the National Assembly. His party won 1 seat, that too from Mianwali his own hometown.

I am not saying Imran Khan is wrong or anything, its just that he is not popular as a politician at all. He gets him fame from being the former Captain of a world cup winning cricket team.

LOL man you need to do your research again. Last i checked Imran Khan was President of the smallest party ever to win any seats in the National Assembly. His party won 1 seat, that too from Mianwali his own hometown.

I completely agree with Zovc. I feel pakistan ppl need to trust one guy and bring him to power. May be Zardari May be Gilani...who ever it is to president post. He should be powerful like mushrraf. As a Islamic Republic Pakistan needs a leader who can perform both internally and internationally.

Somehow I have a feeling that Mushrraf was much better administrator compare to Zardari. I dont know the pakistan politics and ppl verdict.

Pakistanis themselves don't trust their president, how can Indian's trust him or believe that he will act against terror upon giving proof

If anyone wanted the video of his interview to have a look at the video of the interview this is the youtube link

although I quite wonder why only certain clips of his interview can be found in this report plus he never takes the name of the person or the village and another thing that why does one paper quote that the villagers didn't seem to know anything about the incedent or the guy on the other hand media reports people speaking out and a cordoned off areas and being forced out of the area.

I still fail to realise that CNN or BBC have come up with absolutely no report of the incedents taking place in the village but I will listen to the headlines on both channels again.

Although this link will give everyone a lauhg on the incedent as well
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s3i45315#this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom