What's new

Foreign students in China '09

Status
Not open for further replies.

mDumb

Reaction score
China's Ministry of Education said Monday that the number of foreign students in the Chinese mainland reached more than 230,000 last year, the highest since the founding of New China.

The figure was up about 6.6 percent from the previous year, the ministry said.

This figure was still far short of the 500,000 target for 2020, set in the country's draft medium-to-long-term education reform and development plan (2010-2020) that was put out for public response last month.

The plan says China will be built into Asia's largest international student destination in ten years.

The foreign students, from 190 countries and regions, studied in about 610 higher educational institutions last year, the ministry said.

Among them, more than 18,000 students obtained scholarships provided by the Chinese government, up about 35 percent, it said, adding that the number of self-supporting students reached nearly 220,000, up 4.7 percent.

About 68 percent of all the foreign students were from Asia, 15 percent from Europe, 10.7 percent from the Americas, five percent from Africa and more than 1.1 percent were from Oceania, it said.

The Republic of Korea, the United States, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Russia, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan and Pakistan, were top ten in the student nationalities list.

Over the past six decades since the founding of New China in 1949, about 1.69 million students across the world came to study in China.

Thanks to 2008 beijing olympic, we had to chance to show the world the new china. Plus the rapid economic grow in china, more and more people begin to realize that china will be next economic giant. Knowing Chinese and English will give you a great advantage in the futreu for business. as a result, many countries schools now are teaching chinese to stduents at a very young age.

Foreign Languages Fade in Class — Except Chinese
Schools Stop Teaching Foreign Languages — Except Chinese - NYTimes.com

Can we have the list of university which ofter admission to foreign students, please.

Thanks to 2008 beijing olympic, we had to chance to show the world the new china. Plus the rapid economic grow in china, more and more people begin to realize that china will be next economic giant. Knowing Chinese and English will give you a great advantage in the futreu for business. as a result, many countries schools now are teaching chinese to stduents at a very young age.

I beg to differ friend - it will have nothing to do the Olympics over the long run. It has to do with one thing and one thing only: what other people can learn from China's institutions.

They only come (over the long run) if they find the institutions worth coming to ...

The $40B for the game could've been spent on making the said institutions more attractive to domestics and foreigners alike.

But it's water under the bridge now.

My point is: you don't need 华而不实的 and expensive gimmick to attract those who only want to learn.

and can anybody give the details how many indians r studying thers and they prefer which institutes

and can anybody give the details how many indians r studying thers and they prefer which institutes

Here is a list i got from a Chinese web:<a href="http://edu.cyol.com/content/2010-03/23/content_3147180.htm">news in Chinese</a>

South Korea 64,232
USA 18,650
Japan 15,409
Vietname 12,247
Thailand 11,379
Russia 10,596
India 8,468
Indonesia 7,026
Kazakhstan 6,497
Pakistan 5,738

no statistics info on institutes.

Last edited:
I feel my parents is very brainy for teaching me chinese when I was a child and always telling me keep speak chinese in home.

I don't have to remind you that NYT is a libeturd mouthpiece, right?:azn:

I beg to differ friend - it will have nothing to do the Olympics over the long run. It has to do with one thing and one thing only: what other people can learn from China's institutions.

They only come (over the long run) if they find the institutions worth coming to ...

The $40B for the game could've been spent on making the said institutions more attractive to domestics and foreigners alike.

But it's water under the bridge now.

My point is: you don't need &#21326;&#32780;&#19981;&#23454;&#30340; and expensive gimmick to attract those who only want to learn.

The total cost of the game I think is somewhere around $44B, $40B on infrastructure and $4B on the game itself.

I certainly agree there are a lot of areas in china where that $44B can be meaningfully spent (the same goes for any country), education is definitely one of them, but we should not treat this simply as an expensive gimmick for CCP to showcase itself to its people and the rest of the world and hence reinforce the legitimacy of its rule, this is certainly a very important element but it's not where the story ends.

Since early 2007 (~ March) and certainly by September 2007 the credit market was beginning to contract, FDI was rapidly pulling out of emerging markets as a process of flight to safety, by late 2007 and 2008 China&#8217;s growth engine was under pressure due to falling consumptions in the west, the $40B investment (although a big slice of it was spent before 2007) was mainly spent on building infrastructure, this is not some money that goes away with the fireworks, it&#8217;s a necessary investment that a developing country must make, think of Olympics as one of the catalysts but not the only reason, the overall benefits of these infrastructures are hard to estimate but will far outstrip $40B in the long run.

Even if we take on a short term prospective it was estimated that the Olympics not only contributed 1.1&#37; to Beijing&#8217;s GDP growth in 2007 (~9B RMB) and 0.85% in 2008 (~7.7B RMB), it also contributed ~RMB 600B to China&#8217;s overall economy. Setting aside the infrastructure building cost, China actually made a profit of RMB 1B (~$170m) on the game.

There is another factor that I think the auditors can not quantitatively measure -- the perception of China to the rest of the world, put it simply -- image does matter however much people want to dismiss on the surface of it, a more positive / prosperous image people from the rest of the world have on China, the more willingly they are coming to China or learning/accepting China's culture, China after decades of bad image needs to go on a PR offensive, this is very important if you want to become a strong country in the world today.

If you think of China's grand development process as a great chess game, I'm personally all for this move taken into accounts of all the costs and benefits.

China's Ministry of Education said Monday that the number of foreign students in the Chinese mainland reached more than 230,000 last year, the highest since the founding of New China.

The figure was up about 6.6 percent from the previous year, the ministry said.

This figure was still far short of the 500,000 target for 2020, set in the country's draft medium-to-long-term education reform and development plan (2010-2020) that was put out for public response last month.

The plan says China will be built into Asia's largest international student destination in ten years.

The foreign students, from 190 countries and regions, studied in about 610 higher educational institutions last year, the ministry said.

Among them, more than 18,000 students obtained scholarships provided by the Chinese government, up about 35 percent, it said, adding that the number of self-supporting students reached nearly 220,000, up 4.7 percent.

About 68 percent of all the foreign students were from Asia, 15 percent from Europe, 10.7 percent from the Americas, five percent from Africa and more than 1.1 percent were from Oceania, it said.

The Republic of Korea, the United States, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, Russia, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan and Pakistan, were top ten in the student nationalities list.

Over the past six decades since the founding of New China in 1949, about 1.69 million students across the world came to study in China.

sir,

1. what does it has to do with China Defense section????????

2. And as for the topic one must remember:

a.) The largest number of students who apply for foreign education are also from China.

That is if China have the best education institutes then why Chinese go outside China for studies?

3. And one must also remember that the majority of these students who are coming to study in China are the children of Chinese people settled in different part of the world.

sir,

a.) The largest number of students who apply for foreign education are also from China.

That is if China have the best education institutes then why Chinese go outside China for studies?

3. And one must also remember that the majority of these students who are coming to study in China are the children of Chinese people settled in different part of the world.

actually, the koreans are not. they are actually koreans from korea. there are no sizable chinese populations in korea. in fact, the opposite is true: there is a large korean population in china.

actually, the koreans are not. they are actually koreans from korea. there are no sizable chinese populations in korea. in fact, the opposite is true: there is a large korean population in china.

i think international students of Chinese diaspora are counted separately from that statistics.

please don't feed that troller. he is quite famous on PDF.

sir,

I've met some students form India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh during my recent visit to Shanghai, Shuzhou. The prime motive of these students is to get degree in the cheapest possible cost compare to EU/ NA/ Aus and most of them could not pass thru screening test in native countries.

That does not mean that I'm qualified to say standards are lower compare to institutions in other country.

I've met some students form India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh during my recent visit to Shanghai, Shuzhou. The prime motive of these students is to get degree in the cheapest possible cost compare to EU/ NA/ Aus and most of them could not pass thru screening test in native countries.

That does not mean that I'm qualified to say standards are lower compare to institutions in other country.

the same thing happens for chinese students. alot of them that can't pass the college entrance exam go to aus or england for an easy degree for a high price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, where did you got this info from? Or did you just thought this must be the case? Anyways, few of them are ethnic chinese, and as long as they pay the tuition, the more the merrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom