What's new

Five Markhor hunting licenses issued by GB Govt at $80,000 each.

You dumb idiots, that is a precious animal ... Stop selling that for few thousand dollars , SOB's Paise ke liye apni maa bech den yeh log ..:hitwall:

Just to make it clear for some Dumbo's here, I mistook this for something else, but there are some people who sells licenses for such marvelous animals to be hunted, and for them Money is everything .. Govt needs to bring some strict policy to protect them .

Sirji, a little google search would've helped. This controlled hunting is the reason Markhor population is above 6400 from just 200 in 1990. The license is issued and the older male are chosen to be hunted, if not hunted the older male act as a barrier between the younger males who could otherwise have mated the females. Once the older male is hunted the younger males have open ground to mate and produce newborn markhor babies.

Animals are not to be killed for sports , animals have rights in Islam .. You have to google it I can't spoon feed you basic stuff . You can't just go on slaughtering Animals for Fun , Hunt .

This hunting helps the local poor population as well as create a ground for markhor growth. This hunting is a necessity.

Sirji, a little google search would've helped. This controlled hunting is the reason Markhor population is above 6400 from just 200 in 1990. The license is issued and the older male are chosen to be hunted, if not hunted the older male act as a barrier between the younger males who could otherwise have mated the females. Once the older male is hunted the younger males have open ground to mate and produce newborn markhor babies.

This hunting helps the local poor population as well as create a ground for markhor growth. This hunting is a necessity.

Yaar already said I misunderstood the OP, but Krash told me later .. I am not against Controlled Hunting I never want never will be .

You dumb idiots, that is a precious animal ... Stop selling that for few thousand dollars , SOB's Paise ke liye apni maa bech den yeh log ..:hitwall:

Just to make it clear for some Dumbo's here, I mistook this for something else, but there are some people who sells licenses for such marvelous animals to be hunted, and for them Money is everything .. Govt needs to bring some strict policy to protect them .
There should be zero licence for such precious animals.

Issuing licences to hunt markhor is insult to ISI.
Down with Imran Khan and ministers.

@krash , as soon as i saw the thread title i knew some of these posts were incoming :rofl:.

Hahaha. And I knew you'd be here with me. It's our yearly ritual now.

This might be an interesting read for some people (http://wwf.panda.org/?14073/Hunting-for-conservation). Sure conservation hunting is not ideal and if not managed correctly is damaging, but if animal protection organizations like the World Wildlife Fund and The International Union for Conservation of Nature endorse it then it obviously has benefits as well. Personally hate hunting when done for funs sake but if managed properly has real positive effects on the local communities.

Thank you for that brother. Still, bet you ten bucks that people will not read your link and keep on posting angry replies. Then there will be another thread on it in a couple of days and the cycle will continue. I have a feeling that @ghazi52 posts these threads every year just to see us two suffer.

Seriously speaking though, guess it's not that bad. At least our people are getting more concerned about our environment.

ps: Having gone through the rest of the thread I think we need to explain it yet again.

Last edited:
How can it help that Markhoor is currently endangered species and you killed for money to save its habitat if there are no Markhoor what its EMPTY habitat does for saving Markhoor
True, but if that species is in danger than i won't suggest even for handsome amount for local population , funds can come from other means, we don't have to slaughter innocent animals for it .. That's against Islam
National or non national. This animal is just few animals left in natural habitat.

I know it seems counter intuitive, but the program is actually extremely brilliant. Below is the explanation that I posted last year. Please do read it.

"Every other day a new thread pops up on the subject and an army of people who don't understand the program start hurling abuses and criticism at the government, the program and the people involved with it. The same program which is solely responsible for pulling the Markhor back from the brink of extinction. Since it was introduced the Markhor has been downgraded from 'Endangered' to first 'Vulnerable' and then to 'Near Threatened' on IUCN's Red List of Threatened Species. Every single time I have to copy paste my original post. So again,

Despite not being a fan of killing animals for sport, I'm actually a pretty big admirer of this program but not merely because of the licensing fees paid to the locals. The foreigners were never the ones who hunted these animals close to extinction, it was the local poachers. Now those very locals receive a season's or maybe even an entire year's worth of income for the whole community from a single one of these licensed hunts. These licensed hunters also hire jeeps, guides, porters, rent lodging and buy supplies from these locals which brings further direct income to the whole community. The locals soon realized that if the animals' populations were not kept at healthy levels the government would stop issuing these licenses which would stop this vital source of income for them. And the poaching just suddenly stopped. The program turned those former poachers into today's conservationists which has resulted in an unprecedented increase in these animals' numbers. The locals are now the ones who make sure the right animals are hunted and that illegal poaching does not happen. This has been the real benefit of this program. Ironically, no one had a clue of this happening when the program was first devised, it was only realized later. It has been so successful that since then countries all over the world have emulated it for their own endangered species. The scheme is supported and endorsed by many conservationist organisations. A couple of years ago the Markhor conservationists in Kazakhstan, IIRC, were trying to convince the government to introduce this program there as well.

One important thing to realize is that these licenses are only issued for those male Markhors which have passed their prime and thus have nothing to offer the gene pool or the animal's population. The hunters do not have a problem with that either since these are also the animals which make the best trophies; they have the longest horns.

This program was originally devised by an American conservationist, with the help of a local Balochi Chief, working in the Chiltan National Park in Balochistan. They had both tried every thing but could not stop the nomadic tribes crossing through the region from poaching the Markhor for meat and pelts. The nomads had been doing it for hundreds of years, they didn't care what anyone said, it was their way of life. Later, when the conservation efforts were hit with budget cuts these two came up with this program; part of the licensing fees were to be paid towards the conservation efforts while the rest were to be paid to the locals as royalty. Continued funds for the conservation efforts were supposed to be the only benefit of the program. It was only a few years later that they realized the true genius of the program that they had devised. Those same nomadic tribes were now trying to stop poaching."

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/trophy-hunter-downs-markhor-in-chitral.594451/#post-11081583

Issue is not about where money goes. 80% for the development of Local population of that area.
We should control the number of license. Locals are not happy because license amount is reduced.

Firstly, these licenses are auctioned, not sold. Secondly, their number is controlled. Even though Pakistan came up with this whole program, the number of licenses every year is now decided by an international body made for the conservation of different species (It's WCS, IIRC). They issue these to every country that is part of the program. Then, in our case, the federal government decides which region gets how many (KPK, Balochistan, Gilgit Baltistan and AJK). The respective regional governments then decide how many of them to auction.

As its population increases the license fees will further goes down in future.

That would be a great day.

If a female maarkhor is hunted, entire generations of maarkhors will not be available to the snow leopards.

Licenses aren't issued for females. They are issued only for males that are way past their prime. Specimens which do not have anything left to offer the gene pool. Works out well for the hunters too since these are also the specimens which make the best trophies, i.e. the longer the horns the better the trophy.

So it's a bad luck for this animal that his habitat falls under Pakistani territory.

Good luck actually and remarkably so too. We brought it back from extinction with this program when every one else was failing miserably. Now we are helping others do it too.

Animals are not to be killed for sports , animals have rights in Islam .. You have to google it I can't spoon feed you basic stuff . You can't just go on slaughtering Animals for Fun , Hunt .

On that you are correct, cent percent.

So the message is: Our national symbol is for sale if the price is right! Sometimes, symbolism is everything. We as a nation are so immature! Poor Animal to have us as a nation! Arghhhh

Would you rather have a national animal which we hunted to extinction?

Last edited:
I know it seems counter intuitive, but the program is actually extremely brilliant. Below is the explanation that I posted last year. Please do read it.

"Every other day a new thread pops up on the subject and an army of people who don't understand the program start hurling abuses and criticism at the government, the program and the people involved with it. The same program which is solely responsible for pulling the Markhor back from the brink of extinction. Since it was introduced the Markhor has been downgraded from 'Endangered' to first 'Vulnerable' and then to 'Near Threatened' on IUCN's Red List of Threatened Species. Every single time I have to copy paste my original post. So again,

Despite not being a fan of killing animals for sport, I'm actually a pretty big admirer of this program but not merely because of the licensing fees paid to the locals. The foreigners were never the ones who hunted these animals close to extinction, it was the local poachers. Now those very locals receive a season's worth of income from a single one of these licensed hunts. These licensed hunters also hire jeeps, guides, porters, lodging and buy supplies from these locals which brings further direct income to the whole community. The locals soon realized that if the animals' populations were not kept at healthy levels the government would stop issuing these licenses which would stop this vital source of income for them. And the poaching suddenly stopped. The program turned those former poachers into today's conservationists which has resulted in an unprecedented increase in these animals' numbers. The locals are the ones who make sure the right animals are hunted and that illegal poaching does not happen. This has been the real benefit of this program. Ironically, no one had a clue of this happening when the program was first devised, it was only realized later. It has been so successful that since then countries all over the world have emulated it for their own endangered species. The scheme is supported and endorsed by many conservationist organisations. A couple of years ago the Markhor conservationists in Kazakhstan, IIRC, were trying to convince the government to introduce this program there as well.

This program was originally devised by an American conservationist, with the help of a local Balochi Chief, working in the Chiltan National Park in Balochistan. They had both tried every thing but could not stop the nomadic tribes crossing through the region from poaching the Markhor for meat and pelts. The nomads had been doing it for hundreds of years, they didn't care what anyone said, it was their way of life. Later, when the conservation efforts were hit with budget cuts these two came up with this program; part of the licensing fees were to be paid towards the conservation efforts while the rest were to be paid to the locals as royalty. Continued funds for the conservation efforts were supposed to be the only benefit of the program. It was only a few years later that they realized the true genius of the program they had devised. Those nomadic tribes were now trying to stop poaching."

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/trophy-hunter-downs-markhor-in-chitral.594451/#post-11081583

Firstly, these licenses are auctioned, not sold. Secondly, their number is controlled. The number of licenses every year is actually decided by an international body made for the conservation of different species. They issue these to every country that is part of the program. Then, in our case, the federal government decides which region gets how many (KPK, Balochistan, Gilgit Baltistan and AJK). The respective regional governments then decide how many of them to auction.

That would be a great day.

Licenses aren't issued for females. They are issued only for males that are way past their prime. Specimens which do not have anything left to offer the gene pool. Works out well for the hunters too since these are also the specimens which make the best trophies, i.e. the longer the horns the better the trophy.

Good luck actually and remarkably so too. We brought it back from extinction with this program when every one else was failing miserably. Now we are helping others do it too.

On that you are correct, cent percent.

Would you rather have a national animal which we hunted to extinction?
Very good post

after reading some really idiotic posts I have changed my stance. Instead of issuing hunting licenses @ $80k each for 5 Markhors, The government should have issued unlimited free hunting licenses for the idiots on the PDF, killing two birds (I mean many idiots) with one stone.

So the message is: Our national symbol is for sale if the price is right! Sometimes, symbolism is everything. We as a nation are so immature! Poor Animal to have us as a nation! Arghhhh

Last edited:
There should be zero licence for such precious animals.

As i learned i misunderstood the post , I do understand the controlled hunting without harming the Species but i also do know that many rich and privileged Arabs came to Pakistan to hunt some endangered animals even our Media has raised the issue before . But seriously , If i ever encountered such a animal in my life, I will shoot it in a instance , Not Shoot with a gun but with my Camera :)

Hunting the maarkhor, not for food but for some thrill to kill, is inhumane.

Why can't Pakistan government give hunting licenses for the wild wolf and the stray dogs in cities ( somehow cornered into a locality and shot ) ?? A win-win it will be.

Let the maarkhor remain as food for the snow leopards. Even five maarkhors matter. If a female maarkhor is hunted, entire generations of maarkhors will not be available to the snow leopards.

@Maarkhoor @Zibago @Mentee @RealNapster

@Moonlight @Jf Thunder

@fitpOsitive @B+ Dracula
Male Markhor is dominating animal, have up to 10 to 20 females but due to age they became infertile but not letting young ones to mate with female....so it iS quite humane to kill and get money for those old fellas....

Last edited:
At the moment, we are not in mode to think like this. Give us dollars and we can hand over a guy to you who murdered two of our civilians in Broad day light.
Basically so far we have not prioritised that what things are commodities and which things are not.
So it's a bad luck for this animal that his habitat falls under Pakistani territory.

Zroor loka'n agy dirty linen wash krna, brand Manager sb zra socheay, eho galla'n mulkhay di boli chy v ho sakdia'n

:tsk:

Where is hunting ban in Islam? Killing by torture like bull fight is prohibited. Not a hunting game is prohibited.

In a hunting you dont torture the animal but you get a license to hunt for particular period of time, for particular area and for particular number of animals.

The game is about the timing. The person achieving the earliest kill become the winner. It is not jsut for fun but people eat the meat of the animal and use the other artifacts like horns and skin for decoration and honor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom