What's new

First Pashtun visit to space (Cheers)

kamcos

New Recruit

Reaction score
Abdul Ahad Mohmand (Pashto: عبدالاحد مومند, born January 1, 1959) is a former aviator and an astronaut who became the first Afghan into space when he spent nine days aboard the Mir space station in 1988.[1] He was the fourth Muslim[citation needed] to reach space.

Mohmand was born on January 1, 1959, in Sardah, Afghanistan. He belongs to the Mohmand tribe of the Pashtun ethnic group. Mohmand graduated from the Polytechnical University of Kabul and then from the Air Force Academy. He served in the Afghan Air Force and later trained in the Soviet Union as a pilot and a professional astronaut.[2]

Along with Commander Vladimir Lyakhov and Dr. Valery Polyakov, Mohmand was part of the Soyuz TM-6 three-man crew, which launched at 04:23 GMT August 29, 1988. Mohmand's inclusion in the mission was a significant symbol during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

During his nine days stay on the Mir space station, Mohmand took photographs of his country, participated in astrophysical, medical and biological experiments. He also spoke to his Afghan president, Mohammed Najibullah, and brewed Afghan tea for the crew.

Lyakhov and Mohmand returned to Earth aboard Soyuz TM-5. The September 6 planned landing of Soyuz TM-5 was delayed because of mechanical complications on the Mir. Radio Moscow reassured listeners that Lyakhov and Mohmand were fine and in touch with Mission Control. A recording was played of them laughing. A day later, the retro-fire was successful, and at 00:50 GMT Soyuz TM-5 landed near Dzhezkazgan. During touchdown there was no live radio coverage, only live television pictures of Mission Control.

Mohmand was awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union on September 7, 1988.[3]

He is now in Germany and has the printing business.
Hope soon all birds will back to home as the peace come back.

Honestly I dont feel any pride for his trip to space. The russians took from the back of his nick and took him with them to space. it wasnt our achievement, but a show off by the russians to the others that it was because of them that Afghanistan was so ahead that they have sent somebody to space. Nowdays the bussuiness men/women can travel to space spending a few milions dollars.

Honestly I dont feel any pride for his trip to space. The russians took from the back of his nick and took him with them to space. it wasnt our achievement, but a show off by the russians to the others that it was because of them that Afghanistan was so ahead that they have sent somebody to space. Nowdays the bussuiness men/women can travel to space spending a few milions dollars.

hi
you are absolutely right. Without Russians he could not do it.
My aim to post this message was not abt the pride. Afghanistan, Pakistan are at very low level of the progress. I am trying to show that if chances are there, Pashtuns are willing and can go for the progress and development. They are keen learners.
regards

Man I have met several of those pashtuns from Afghanistan and Pakistan who went to ussr. Those guys are "katar" communists of the highest level least intrested in pakistan, afghanistan, pathans or Islam. They behaved and thought like russians and yes they drank vodka like them too :)

hi
you are absolutely right. Without Russians he could not do it.
My aim to post this message was not abt the pride. Afghanistan, Pakistan are at very low level of the progress. I am trying to show that if chances are there, Pashtuns are willing and can go for the progress and development. They are keen learners.
regards

and you should know that in a civil society people dont give a damn about ethnicities as much as you emphasize on. How about Panjabies,sindhis,balochs,Tajiks,uzbeks? do they look damn to you?

by the way, if that so called chance that Ahad had, if another pilot had had it, it would be the same. everybody can do it, he simply mounted on the space ship and had a little chat with Najib and came back so what?

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom