What's new

First batch of Dhruv MK-III inducted into IAF

What is India's fascination with the term "MK"?

Having said that, congratulations to India.

The same fascination you have with “Block” :partay::enjoy:.

Eh! we adopted it from F-16s and carried forward to JF-17s. Beyond these two platforms the term "block" is seldom used. Whereas, MK is used by India for almost every major military platform, or at least, the ones that fly.

Eh! we adopted it from F-16s and carried forward to JF-17s. Beyond these two platforms the term "block" is seldom used. Whereas, MK is used by India for almost every major military platform, or at least, the ones that fly.
Block is used in Babur and other missile peojects too.

Block is used in Babur and other missile peojects too.

Not really. Their numeric designations are accompanied with the word "Hatf." But its usually in the mannerism of Babur-I, Babur-II, Babur-III, Ra'ad-I, Ra'ad-II. The term "block" has never officially been assigned to the Pakistani missiles. Even the Shaheen-I, which has two variants (Shaheen-I and Shaheen-IA) does not use the term "block."

Wait until you see the list of things US and UK military has used the Mk designation for. It's not that widespread in Indian military, even in the Air Force. But you could indeed say India has used it for its three major conventional weapon platform successes: INSAS, ALH and the LCA, not counting the complicated MKI designation. AMCA to follow suit.

In fact, Indian Railways carries this tradition as well, likely from the British Railways legacy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom