What's new

Firing on PIA Jet in Peshawar, Killing 1 Woman on Board

Time has come to place a total ban on assault rifle ownership. These AK-47s are a legacy of Afghan war anyway. Civilians should be allowed handguns and shotguns only. Nothing else. And possession of illegal weapons should be death penalty. Also, ganja (son of a b****) should restart executions.

These lethal weapons like Assault Rifles are in a few millions now just as heavier weaponry like MGs and RPGs are in tens of thousands. How will they be raked in?
Plus there is the flourishing "cottage industry" that makes more in Darra. Who will dare to close that down?

As the report says: the aircraft was then about 350 mtrs from the runway at an altitude of 250-300 ft (80-100 mtrs). I.

Correction.

The plane was at 3.5 nm from the runway according to reliable reports, and with a normal approach angle of 3 degrees, this puts us at around 1000 feet (the 1000 feet figure was also given by a flight steward on TV).

Where did you get your figures from?

This was expected.

Somebody told me that Emirates would shift PEW flights to ISB and then transport pax by bus.

Don't know if this would be feasible.

Correction.

The plane was at 3.5 nm from the runway according to reliable reports, and with a normal approach angle of 3 degrees, this puts us at around 1000 feet (the 1000 feet figure was also given by a flight steward on TV).

Where did you get your figures from?

From a post on this thread.

peshawar_airport_jun25e.jpg

That definitely isn't a 7.62 bullet hitting at 1000 feet.

150-170 may be???

Nope, the thumb-rule is 120-150 KIAS for transport jets, depending on how heavy they are.
And Pilots typically "cross the fence" at around 130 kts.
Approach Glide path angles are about 2 to 3 deg.
And a 3:1 descent rate is typical for passenger jets.

Nope, the thumb-rule is 120-150 KIAS for transport jets, depending on how heavy they are.
And Pilots typically "cross the fence" at around 130 kts.
Approach Glide path angles are about 2 to 3 deg.
And a 3:1 descent rate is typical for passenger jets.
tbh, am not that much an expert on aviation, so it was a guess, no i did not google that up, i asked my father who travel allot :D

you said in earlier post it is 7.62, but i don't think at that altitude 7.62 would have enough K.E to penetrate through cargo hold - would have lost much of its K.E at that point, so I will stick with 12.7mm unless we are sure that plane was at lot less altitude....

Edit: my bad - i did not read your post properly ---yes that is not 7.62 - rightly said :D , something is wrong with me today

Last edited:
tbh, am not that much an expert on aviation, so it was a guess, no i did not google that up, i asked my father who travel allot :D

For that matter, neither am I.
What I said was on the basis of what I'd heard from some Aviators and also read about, nothing first hand.
Though I had a little experience (years ago) on non-powered Sail-Planes (Gliders) as a student pilot, there we 'crossed the fence' at 30-40 kts.
MiG-21s land at abt. 300 kts, which is high speed.

For that matter, neither am I.
What I said was on the basis of what I'd heard from some Aviators and also read about, nothing first hand.
Though I had a little experience (years ago) on non-powered Sail-Planes (Gliders) as a student pilot, there we 'crossed the fence' at 30-40 kts.
MiG-21s land at abt. 300 kts, which is high speed.
though i was told, once I had posted that this particular plane could be slower because it was at its full capacity - so must have gone for a slower approach, and at point of attack might be at 210kts may be....

you said in earlier post it is 7.62, but i don't think at that altitude 7.62 would have enough K.E to penetrate through cargo hold - would have lost much of its K.E at that point, so I will stick with 12.7mm unless we are sure that plane was at lot less altitude....

You need to add in the KE of the aircraft in your estimate too.

You need to add in the KE of the aircraft in your estimate too.
i have already considered that, but K.E of the plane would make sense if plane was attack from the front side, but in this case the shots had been fired / struck on the sides....

though i was told, once I had posted that this particular plane could be slower because it was at its full capacity - so must have gone for a slower approach, and at point of attack might be at 210kts may be....

Not quite right in the underlined part.
There is a paradox. The heavier an aircraft is at landing approach, the faster it will need to be; or the closer to its max allowed Landing Speed. Because of Drag v/s Lift issues.

Back
Top Bottom