What's new

Firing on PIA Jet in Peshawar, Killing 1 Woman on Board

That would make sense of we firing at an objects at same level of low altitude, in this case, plane was at the height of 1000+ft., that means we are shooting in upwards direction, at that distance air resistance, gravitational pull comes into play.... Unless as i mentioned earlier shooter was on top of a building,

You cannot have a high rise building near or on approach of runway.... so the chances of that is "0"

That is agreed upon by everyone sir...but does it still have the energy to go through the two layers and then severely injure a person?

Look at the video on post 129.

Around the middle, a picture comes of the hole on the a/c floor.

Do you reckon that is of a 7.62?
Sir,
Aircraft grade aluminium has very poor impact strength. On a charpy izod test i found 6066 T6 which I think is the material on 747's too be quite low. 6066 t6 hardness number is 48 compared to 120 on mild steel.I have also witnessed copper jacket 22lr making it straight through 5055 Al which isn't too different from 6066 t6. So can 7.62x39 penetrate two layers of aircraft aluminium. YES

Another interesting issue could be: that forensics found mangled 7.62 bullet, it could have come from a 7.62x51 or from a 7.62x39... Although I have never tried reloading the same bullet for both casings, i have heard quite a few people using the same bullet for both rounds. If the round came from a 7.62x51Nato, which after impact would be absolutely impossible to distinguish from a 7.62x39, then it would have even more capacity.

Sir,
Aircraft grade aluminium has very poor impact strength. On a charpy izod test i found 6066 T6 which I think is the material on 747's too be quite low. 6066 t6 hardness number is 48 compared to 120 on mild steel.I have also witnessed copper jacket 22lr making it straight through 5055 Al which isn't too different from 6066 t6. So can 7.62x39 penetrate two layers of aircraft aluminium. YES

Another interesting issue could be: that forensics found mangled 7.62 bullet, it could have come from a 7.62x51 or from a 7.62x39... Although I have never tried reloading the same bullet for both casings, i have heard quite a few people using the same bullet for both rounds. If the round came from a 7.62x51Nato, which after impact would be absolutely impossible to distinguish from a 7.62x39, then it would have even more capacity.
Interesting points you have presented there, but we have to consider the possbility of Terrorists doing so.....
7.62x39 projectile on 7.62N would mean much lethal round and would form lean trajectory , lesser wind drift???

Interesting points you have presented there, but we have to consider the possbility of Terrorists doing so.....
7.62x39 projectile on 7.62N would mean much lethal round and would form lean trajectory , lesser wind drift???
If you look closely at the bullet diameter, .308/7.62 nato and 7.62x39 are quite similar.
There are quite a few AR that use .308 barrels for 7.62x39 applications.

Sir,

I agree with you on the poor impact strength and thinness of the Aluminium skin on aircraft.

But the question is killing a person with that said bullet when fired upward at 1000 feet.

There is doubt about the bold part, I and everyone agree to it.

I agree with you on the poor impact strength and thinness of the Aluminium skin on aircraft.

But the question is killing a person with that said bullet when fired upward at 1000 feet.

It depends on the site of impact on the person. A deformed spinning bullet will cause lethal damage even without much kinetic energy.

It depends on the site of impact on the person. A deformed spinning bullet will cause lethal damage even without much kinetic energy.

Well yeah...

Let's see what forensics comes up with.

Nothing as of now.

You know how it works in Pakistan.

What works in Pakistan? :P

But seriously now, this should be diligently and comprehensively investigated. Since it has extremely serious portents for the future. Not only will such incidents impact Civil Aviation in Pakistan but even PAF operations, esp Transports and Helos.

in couple of weeks we are planning to go to a friends ranch for shooting.I can devise an experiment at 1000 yards with both 7.62x39 and 7.62 x51, and share the results. I doubt the engagement was at 1000yards, from what have heard on the thread, the pilots could see bullets flying at them, so in opposite direction, the relative velocity was combined of aircraft's approach speed plus the velocity of the projectile.

in couple of weeks we are planning to go to a friends ranch for shooting.I can devise an experiment at 1000 yards with both 7.62x39 and 7.62 x51, and share the results. I doubt the engagement was at 1000yards, from what have heard on the thread, the pilots could see bullets flying at them, so in opposite direction, the relative velocity was combined of aircraft's approach speed plus the velocity of the projectile.

He said assailants had affixed an extra barrel to an AK-47 rifle to enhance its fire range and used tracer bullets to ensure that they hit the target.

Taliban’s Geedar group behind firing on PIA’s Peshawar flight, say officials - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

The altitude is confirmed as 1000 feet.

BTW, how does this extra barrel thing work?

Pilot saw the tracer bullets

Back
Top Bottom