What's new

Firing on PIA Jet in Peshawar, Killing 1 Woman on Board

i have already considered that, but K.E of the plane would make sense if plane was attack from the front side, but in this case the shots had been fired / struck on the sides....

Exactly. The path of the airplane would add a significant amount of shear energy to the projectile even it it struck from the side or below.

Not quite right in the underlined part.
There is a paradox. The heavier an aircraft is at landing approach, the faster it will need to be; or the closer to its max allowed Landing Speed. Because of Drag v/s Lift issues.
something is awfully wrong with my physics today ---perhaps the lack of sleep ----anyhow,more the speed, more the inertia at landing--no??

The video was recorded in swat,and similar weapons exist in Peshawar too. This is a 12,7mm and can be shot at a low flying and slow passenger plane.

Thank god the bullets did not hit the pilot or the landing gear otherwise it could have been a much bigger disaster

something is awfully wrong with my physics today ---perhaps the lack of sleep ----anyhow,more the speed, more the inertia at landing--no??

That will be controlled then by Flaps, Air-Brakes, Thrust Reversers and finally wheel-braking.

Range of an Ak 47 is reportedly 350 meters, and while landing, large planes do traverse 2-3 kms at a mere 100 mtrs.....maybe a wedding did take lace in the vicinity of the airport. But highly unlikely that it wasn't intentional.
@sandy_3126 your views

My dear are ypu suggesting that it took 3-5mins for a plane to land at that short distance????

300-350 meters is the operational range of the 7.62x39, but the effective range of round is much larger. A steel cased fmj 122 grain will travel well beyond 700 yards and still will posses lethal energy. To make matters worse, the 7.62 (30 cal) round tumbles when it looses energy beyond a certain point which can make the terminal ballistics quite nasty.
I have seen 7.62 x51 nato tumble beyond 800 yards and 7.62 x 39 beyond 600 yard....

During the approach of the aircraft, a skilled marksman can definitely put some holes in it.

That is pretty close, for sure. However the analogy that you draw is not quite valid in the incident that is under discussion:
1. People in the neighborhood (of Pearson) are not likely to possess ack-ack guns, RCL guns, Mortars, RPGs and even Kalashnikovs; nor are they desirous of using such weaponry.
2. Contrastingly; (some) people in the vicinity of PAF Peshawar AFB are known to possess such weapons and are certainly likely to want to use them. That record is clear.
3. Airports have been hit in Pakistan in the past. The recent attack at JIA Karachi is still fresh in memory. A precedent exists. So how did the Security around Peshawar AFB not get boosted up? Can this situation be replicated at or around other air-fields in Pakistan? This is the really worrisome part!
4. The statement "even a hand gun can penetrate the cabin" is simply an exaggeration. It cannot; not in case of an airliner in the air; but may do so only at an airplane stationary, at point-blank range.

I agree for most part, but an average aircraft skin (non critical parts) thickness is about 1/8 on an inch! very thin!

During the approach of the aircraft, a skilled marksman can definitely put some holes in it.

That is agreed upon by everyone sir...but does it still have the energy to go through the two layers and then severely injure a person?

Look at the video on post 129.

Around the middle, a picture comes of the hole on the a/c floor.

Do you reckon that is of a 7.62?

That is agreed upon by everyone sir...but does it still have the energy to go through the two layers and then severely injure a person?

Look at the video on post 129.

Around the middle, a picture comes of the hole on the a/c floor.

Do you reckon that is of a 7.62?

Does it still have the energy to do the damage shown? Yes.

Tribal caveman mentality at work. Taking revenge of deaths of their pushtoon brothersz in tribal areas by killing pushtoons of peshawar.

June 25, 2014

Emirates suspends flights from Dubai to Peshawar
Airline stops journeys to and from Pakistan city because of the security situation

Dubai's flagship airline Emirates has suspended flights to and from Peshawar effective from Wednesday because of the security situation in the Pakistani city, the carrier said.

Flights are suspended until further notice and passengers will be rebooked on alternative Emirates flights, it said.

“Emirates has suspended flights to and from Peshawar effective 25 June 2014 until further notice, due to the security situation at the destination. Affected passengers will be rebooked on alternative Emirates’ flights and are asked to check on emirates.com for further updates. We apologise for the inconvenience caused – however, the safety of our passengers and crew is a top priority and will not be compromised,” an Emirates spokesperson said.

On Tuesday night, gunmen fired on a Pakistan International Airlines plane as it was landing in Peshawar, killing a woman on board and injuring three crew members in the third incident at a Pakistani airport this month.

Emirates suspends flights from Dubai to Peshawar | GulfNews.com

---------------------------------

congratulations, or what should i say?

That would make sense of we firing at an objects at same level of low altitude, in this case, plane was at the height of 1000+ft., that means we are shooting in upwards direction, at that distance air resistance, gravitational pull comes into play.... Unless as i mentioned earlier shooter was on top of a building,
300-350 meters is the operational range of the 7.62x39, but the effective range of round is much larger. A steel cased fmj 122 grain will travel well beyond 700 yards and still will posses lethal energy. To make matters worse, the 7.62 (30 cal) round tumbles when it looses energy beyond a certain point which can make the terminal ballistics quite nasty.
I have seen 7.62 x51 nato tumble beyond 800 yards and 7.62 x 39 beyond 600 yard....

Range of an Ak 47 is reportedly 350 meters, and while landing, large planes do traverse 2-3 kms at a mere 100 mtrs.....maybe a wedding did take lace in the vicinity of the airport. But highly unlikely that it wasn't intentional.

The ak bullet will fly maybe a mile.

Back
Top Bottom