What's new

FGFA / PAK-FA (T-50) Vs F-35 JSF

archangel

New Recruit

Reaction score
As we all know that as a result of the very ambitious programme for developing a fifth-generation fighter as a joint venture between India And Russia, the first prototype took to the skies few days earlier. Also, we are all aware of America's lack of funding for its F-22 Raptor planes which lead to the more cost-efficient Joint Strike Fighter programme which involves many countries.

Now, a question has arisen that which one is superior to the other, and that is just what I want u guys to answer. Now, many of you might straight away go for the JSF but think before you take your decision as the RAAF has already mentioned about it losing confidence in the programme keeping in mind the excellent designing of the Russian/Indian PAK-FA 's first prototype which although is not a completely stealthy one but to compensate its stealthiness is quite cheap, maneuverable, and as stealthy as the JSF although not as much as the F-22 Raptor.

So, what do u think is the one you are going to rely on for saving your back?????????????

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Pak_fa_in_flight.jpg
Vs
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/F-35_Lightning_II.jpg

As we all know that as a result of the very ambitious programme for developing a fifth-generation fighter as a joint venture between India And Russia, the first prototype took to the skies few days earlier. Also, we are all aware of America's lack of funding for its F-22 Raptor planes which lead to the more cost-efficient Joint Strike Fighter programme which involves many countries.

Now, a question has arisen that which one is superior to the other, and that is just what I want u guys to answer. Now, many of you might straight away go for the JSF but think before you take your decision as the RAAF has already mentioned about it losing confidence in the programme keeping in mind the excellent designing of the Russian/Indian PAK-FA 's first prototype which although is not a completely stealthy one but to compensate its stealthiness is quite cheap, maneuverable, and as stealthy as the JSF although not as much as the F-22 Raptor.

So, what do u think is the one you are going to rely on for saving your back?????????????

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Pak_fa_in_flight.jpg
Vs
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/F-35_Lightning_II.jpg

One plane is almost ready. They other one is still a decade away. We can compare this is ten years. So why not mothball this thread and open it up 10 years later.

The policy behind both the fighters is different.

The JSF is all about staying hidden from the enemy whereas the PakFa is all about detecting these hidden aircraft using powerful radars.

Stealth is not of utmost importance to Pakfa. It will be stealthy but not as stealthy as JSF. But it would be able to detect JSF.

One plane is almost ready. They other one is still a decade away. We can compare this is ten years. So why not mothball this thread and open it up 10 years later.

Yes thats Correct.... PAKFA is almost ready while other is decade away...so no point in comparing......:cheesy:

Stealth is not of utmost importance to Pakfa. It will be stealthy but not as stealthy as JSF. But it would be able to detect JSF.
All radars would be able to detect the B-2, F-117, F-22 and F-35. The question is at what distance. That is the point of being low radar observable -- distance.

All radars would be able to detect the B-2, F-117, F-22 and F-35. The question is at what distance. That is the point of being low radar observable -- distance.

I thought everyone already knew that. :wave:

No-one can know that .
Until Peak Power rating , duty cycle , no of modules on radar are made public.
And true RCS of F35 is open rather than classified info.

And
jagjitnatt , plz note
Operating in LPI mode radar beam will have more sharpness,agility,less sidelobes than raw power to detect F32
this following trend of all latest Phased array radars.

I am not too sure that its good idea to detect Fighter by using powerful Radar , bcoz passive sensors are ready to find any signal above background noise threshold.
It would have been much better to avoid self-detection in first place.

just for scenario if F35 is behind you ????? what then
I am not too sure Reward facing radar or L-band wingtip radar would detect, a LO design early to alarm .

Last edited:
No-one can know that .
Until Peak Power rating , duty cycle , no of modules on radar are made public.
And true RCS of F35 is open rather than classified info.

And
jagjitnatt , plz note
Operating in LPI mode radar beam will have more sharpness,agility,less sidelobes than raw power to detect F32
this following trend of all latest Phased array radars.

I am not too sure that its good idea to detect Fighter by using powerful Radar , bcoz passive sensors are ready to find any signal above background noise threshold.
It would have been much better to avoid self-detection in first place.

just for scenario if F35 is behind you ????? what then
I am not too sure Reward facing radar or L-band wingtip radar would detect, a LO design early to alarm .

Prateek, I guess almost all of the stealthy fighter aircraft are designed more stealthier from Front. F-35 can be detected from from back from good distance by some 4.5 generation AC with some good radar also.

i agree with him (not sure on the timeline though), I don't see the point of comparing an almost ready aircraft to a prototype.
It's just gonna turn in to a fan boy fight...
*gets popcorn* :D

No-one can know that .
Until Peak Power rating , duty cycle , no of modules on radar are made public. And true RCS of F35 is open rather than classified info.

All the heavy lifting has already been done by Dr Carlo Kopp this should help with the comparative analysis. I can't wait.. :bounce: :gets low calorie popcorn: :pop:

FA-22A-Radar-2005-APA.png

nice, thanks for posting that DBC. but like faithful mentioned, PakFa will take a while to be ready so this thread is a little too soon :)

All the heavy lifting has already been done by Dr Carlo Kopp this should help with the comparative analysis. I can't wait.. :bounce: :gets low calorie popcorn: :pop:

FA-22A-Radar-2005-APA.png

There is no mention of PAK-FA and its Radar performance.
Pic just shows Bars vs f35, su35, F22 . Moreover it just shows radar performance , not detection range against each other.

Nothing great abt that bcoz , specs of Bars are known and present on Manufactures website.
2 TWT wave tubes with 7-11KW as average power rating.
Using simple radar equation any one can calculate it for given RCS value.

We are talking about Pak-fa which is supposed to be 20KW power, each module having 2-5w rating , dia of antennae approx 900mm, 1500-2000 modules and 25% duty cycle for each TR unit

Note there is no mention of specs of radar its mere speculation from Fanboyz/Carlo Kopp .
Frankly i dont know how credible Carlo Kopp is but his calculation for radar range looks correct. Still it dosent solve our case PAK-FA vs F35 detection range against each other.

Last edited:
There is no mention of PAK-FA and its Radar performance.
Pic just shows Bars vs f35, su35, F22 . Moreover it just shows radar performance , not detection range against each other.

Nothing great abt that bcoz , specs of Bars are known and present on Manufactures website.
2 TWT wave tubes with 7-11KW as average power rating.
Using simple radar equation any one can calculate it for given RCS value.

We are talking about Pak-fa which is supposed to be 20KW power, each module having 2-5w rating , dia of antennae approx 900mm, 1500-2000 modules and 25% duty cycle for each TR unit

Note there is no mention of specs of radar its mere speculation from Fanboyz/Carlo Kopp .
Frankly i dont know how credible Carlo Kopp is but his calculation for radar range looks correct. Still it dosent solve our case PAK-FA vs F35 detection range against each other.

I think it is a good starting point for discussion, the PAK-FA radar is missing but let us assume it is comparable to the Raptor's APG-77 and to make things even more interesting let us also assume the PAK-FA and F35 have the same RCS - gentlemen being your analysis :pop:

Back
Top Bottom