What's new

Feel the Need for Speed

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
JF-17 Thunder Block III

Block III , Thunders , will be coming shortly.
How much Speed and Aggression will be added to platform after the new Engines are added?

Considering people have claimed the Block 1 was similar to the F16 Jets , reason would say Block III would be a substantial improvement

What kind of Speeds are we talking about Post JF17 III is inaugurated , can the Thunder compete for speed with Enemy Jets

1df1924edb8c9309a9b80f9058e763e69d19d147_hq.jpg

ws13vsrd93.jpg

1qO6Amk.jpg

Mach 2.0 ?
Mach 2.2 ?
Mach 2.5 ?

Considering Thunder is lighter craft then F16 we should see some reasonable speed in new birds starting
Block III

shenyang_WS10A.jpg

When is the JF17 first bird coming with new Engine?

Last edited:
JF-17 Thunder Block III

Block III , Thunders , will be coming shortly.
How much Speed and Aggression will be added to platform after the new Engines are added?

Considering people have claimed the Block 1 was similar to the F16 Jets , reason would say Block III would be a substantial improvement

What kind of Speeds are we talking about Post JF17 III is inaugurated , can the Thunder compete for speed with Enemy Jets

1df1924edb8c9309a9b80f9058e763e69d19d147_hq.jpg

ws13vsrd93.jpg

1qO6Amk.jpg

Mach 2.0 ?
Mach 2.2 ?
Mach 2.5 ?

Considering Thunder is lighter craft then F16 we should see some reasonable speed in new birds starting
Block III

shenyang_WS10A.jpg

When is the JF17 first bird coming with new Engine?
Better Engine will help in Few things Fuel efficiency , a better modern engine will have more sophisticated sensor which can help in lowering the down time,will help increase payload, sortie duration and few other things

Speed is not a big concern as modern you are not in 60s or 70s where you can simply try out Out run other thing even if you are 2.2 or 2.5 AA weapons they are superior , faster , and can pull which worse G rates than any jet or human being
So you need better senors and e Warfare capability to counter them
You might need to make some changes with the structure of craft too if you wanna have a Durable Mach 2+ jet

DSI are not made to exceed Mach 2 or so I've heard.
Brother, it's not about DSI only. It's about the aerodynamic design. J20 with DSI can fly over 2.2 Mach due to its delta wing design.
A more powerful engine (WS19 with 11.5 tons max thrust)will increase the max speed of JF17 for sure, 1.8 Mach is not a problem.

8-) It's time we really figure out if we are going Mach 2.3-Mach 2.5
With reduced weight and more power in engine, all aspects point towards a Improvement
in Speed and Acceleration

Top of Line Chinese Engineering Marvel , Tremendous Thrust capabilities
Yuge potential

Well if we go up to Mach 2.5 then Indian Jets can't turn around make a run for cover
Some of the Chinese Twin Engine crafts are used for intercept these birds are quite fast

Why not, are we suppose to fly Sub Mach 2.0 Craft for next 30 years nothing wrong to demand high performance

There is a difference between mach speed and combat speed. JF-17s combat speed is equal to that of F-16. Members should read the article of Air Cmd (r) Kaiser Tufail on this topic. A pilot normally does not exceed Mach 1.6 speed. Even Mirages and F-16s need special height and circumstances to achieve Mach 2.2

Moreover, maintaining such speeds for longer duration with full afterburner can empty the tanks of aircraft and they are also harmful for the airframe and engine itself. Current Thunder can also achieve Mach 1.8 which is more than sufficient.

Brother, it's not about DSI only. It's about the aerodynamic design. J20 with DSI can fly over 2.2 Mach due to its delta wing design.
A more powerful engine (WS19 with 11.5 tons max thrust)will increase the max speed of JF17 for sure, 1.8 Mach is not a problem.

Hi,

Seems like did not understand what the poster is asking---.

He is asking a question about " senseless speed "---.

The poster thinks that if you have a higher top speed you have more control---which is contrary t the fact---.

F35 is pretty much a sub mach 2 aircraft---F16 is a sub mach 2 aircraft---Rafale is pretty much in this category---and so is the Grippen---.

It is just like the speedometer on your car that shows 140 mph and yet you never even drive closer to that speed---.

Speed is just for show---what you need is a better radar---EW suite and a better missile package---.

To gain higher speed is not cost effective---.

Last edited:
Hi,

Both of you guys seems like did not understand what the poster is asking---.

He is asking a question about " senseless speed "---.

The poster thinks that if you have a higher top speed you have more control---which is contrary t the fact---.

F35 is pretty much a sub mach 2 aircraft---F16 is a sub mach 2 aircraft---Rafale is pretty much in this category---and so is the Grippen---.

It is just like the speedometer on your car that shows 140 mph and yet you never even drive closer to that speed---.

Speed is just for show---what you need is a better radar---EW suite and a better missile package---.

To gain higher speed is not cost effective---.
Mastan Bhi, what about the hit and run tactics?

But I agree with you that radar and EW and situational awareness are more important than speed.

There is a difference between mach speed and combat speed. JF-17s combat speed is equal to that of F-16. Members should read the article of Air Cmd (r) Kaiser Tufail on this topic. A pilot normally does not exceed Mach 1.6 speed. Even Mirages and F-16s need special height and circumstances to achieve Mach 2.2

Moreover, maintaining such speeds for longer duration with full afterburner can empty the tanks of aircraft and they are also harmful for the airframe and engine itself. Current Thunder can also achieve Mach 1.8 which is more than sufficient.
That's the main difference between 5th generation and 4th generation. A top notch 5th gen fighter can cruise at March 1.4+ Without afterburner, and a 4th gen fighter can never field against it .F16 can't insist long beyond 1.6 Mach.

Mastan Bhi, what about the hit and run tactics?

But I agree with you that radar and EW and situational awareness are more important than speed.

That's the main difference between 5th generation and 4th generation. A top notch 5th gen fighter can cruise at March 1.4+ Without afterburner, and a 4th gen fighter can never field against it .F16 can't insist long beyond 1.6 Mach.

Hi,

The simple fact is---that the speed is not going to do anything for you in a general manner of speech---.

You have to take speed out of the equation first of all and concentrate on your EW suite---your weapons. Your jamming capabilities---.

One has to learn to control the controlable---high speed comes at a very high cost---and the results are not benevolent---.

For that reason---the JF17 would stay in the arena of mach 1.6 - 1.9---. That is what the aircraft was designed for---that range is for its maximum utility---.

For some reason , when I view any Air simulator video game Speed/Acceleration make great impact
Specially when attempting a run maneuver

If Speed is such an unimportant feature why all US modern fighters are focused on gradually increasing Speed/Acceleration capabilities of Jets

Majority of US planes are quite fast as you view them on Generation by Generation basis

On a highway if I am doing 100 km / hr and another car comes by doing 160km/hr I see it wizz by me as if I am not even moving

Now if I expand that idea to planes / fighter Jets the speeds are still quite large

Again, how old are you sir? or are you kidding?

For some reason , when I view any Air simulator video game Speed/Acceleration make great impact
Specially when attempting a run maneuver

If Speed is such an unimportant feature why all US modern fighters are focused on gradually increasing Speed/Acceleration capabilities of Jets

Majority of US planes are quite fast as you view them on Generation by Generation basis

On a highway if I am doing 100 km / hr and another car comes by doing 160km/hr I see it wizz by me as if I am not even moving

Now if I expand that idea to planes / fighter Jets the speeds are still quite large

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom