What's new

Faulty weapons worth Rs.200 crore given to BSF jawans

sudhir007

Reaction score
Faulty weapons worth Rs 200 crore given to BSF jawans : North News - India Today

Italian arms major Beretta has agreed to replace faulty weapons supplied by them after they failed at a BSF test fire facility in Gujarat recently.

Last year, the BSF had awarded Beretta a contract of more than 30,000 sub-machine guns at an approximate cost of Rs.200 crore. The first consignment of 17,000 guns was received last September and distributed among BSF personnel on the border to replace INSAS and other rifles.

But documents accessed by Headlines Today suggest there was a major goof-up in the procurement of the consignment. The high- tech MX4 9mm Storm assault rifle failed the test, internal correspondence between the BSF's Gujarat frontier unit to the Delhi-based BSF Headquarters in January. It says that when the sample weapon was test fired, it bulged.

The test fire report suggests that the gun would not only be ineffective in neutralising the enemy, but there are also chances of the barrel of the weapon exploding and causing serious injuries. The document also noted other defects in the sample weapon.

Having discovered the shortcomings during test fire, the BSF's Gujarat frontier unit had sought advice from its headquarters on whether they should dump the weapons.When BSF Headquarters received this communication, senior officers summoned officials from Beretta.

The documents also suggest other serious problems with these guns. Corrosion was found on 113 guns. 164 guns had tool marks and nine guns had machining rings.

When BSF officers informed the arms firm, Beretta had sent a team of experts. BSF DIG Vikas Chandra said Beretta officials visited the test facility in Gujarat and examined the weapons in question. The experts noted what was suspected to be corrosion was lead residue. The officials, however, promised to replace the defective weapons.

Chandra said defects had been noted only from the Gujarat sector so far.

But the question that arises is how the BSF provisioning unit failed to spot the defects. Last year, a DIG- level officer along with his team had visited Italy to clear the consignment. The elite SPG force had also imported the same guns recently, but there were no shortcomings in their consignment.Chandra said it wasn't possible to check each weapon at the time of clearance and if defects are found even at a later stage, corrective steps will be taken.

1299098231.jpg

To watch video
| Video | BSF jawans given defective guns | India Videos | - India Today

Whats with the provocative title...?its clearly a supply end problem and is being tackled efficiently.

tho i dident kno the BSF operated these..u discover new things every day.
beretta_cx4-3.jpg

yeh log hi faulty hai to faulty vastu hi toh uplabdh karwaenge...

I don't think the entire consignment was defective. Also the issue seems to have been found before they were issued to the jawans. Title seems to blow the problem out of proportion.

Whats with the provocative title...?its clearly a supply end problem and is being tackled efficiently.
True..the title suggests as if GoI intentionally gave our jawans a bad rifle.

Anyways if I am not wrong even the much loved Tavor also failed in India when it was first imported from Israel.

Interesting point made in article:

The elite SPG force had also imported the same guns recently, but there were no shortcomings in their consignment.

I wonder is this is poor reporting or is true? I wonder what use SPG would have for the MX4 as the already have advanced weapons that suit their needs, I just can't see what role they would use this weapon in.

mx_4-tm-tfb.jpg

Why on earth will BSF go for this gun, even civilians in US prefers to skip this gun. :hitwall:

^ Personally there are much better options available which could replace the MP5A3's one of them was replacing them with newer MP5A5's, but no they had to choose a automatic variant of a semi-auto home defence carbine.

H&K UMP9
500px-Hk_ump9.jpg

CZUB Skorpion EVO III
skorpion_evo_1.jpg

B&T APC9
apc_9_brugger_thomet_2011_milipol_01.jpg

PP-19-01 Vityaz
pp19_1.jpg

^^^ I've heard it is because BSF were looking to replace their Mp-5s which are close to unservicable. They chose the Berrata because of the ergonomics, ease of use, accuracy and most importanlty low maintencece. Berratta also offered a very competitive bid and good after-sale support. H&K supposedly were very arrogant in the program and they are known all over the world for this arrogance so it clearly but BSF off and allowed Berratta to come in try harder and win.

Why didnt they just buy 9mm micro tabors..... would have simplified spares considering the CRPF uses them....

Indias military has no idea how to standardize kit.... the amount of different systems is getting out of control.

Why on earth will BSF go for this gun, even civilians in US prefers to skip this gun.
Yeah there are differences between civilian guns and the ones used by military and para miltary forces. While the guns you are talking about is Beretta Cx4 and what bsf has selected is Beretta Mx4 Storm. In US you can purchase any weapon but there is always a civilian version and a military version.

Back
Top Bottom