What's new

Famous Pakistani Food

1607789903983.png

@ghazi52 qq. why do you use BBQ - in my country we dont use this word - it feels alien. Here Braai is the term used. In East Africa and Oman - Kiswahili word - mishkaki is used.

In Urdu - is there no other word that can describe it - kebab or a variant of it? You have sajji which is a whole spit fire.

This is new development, BBQ was not there at least 50 years back, we had seek ( steel rod ) kabab , tikka boti. and ofcourse Sajji ( only in Balochistan, nothing outside of it ).

@ghazi52 qq. why do you use BBQ - in my country we dont use this word - it feels alien. Here Braai is the term used. In East Africa and Oman - Kiswahili word - mishkaki is used.

In Urdu - is there no other word that can describe it - kebab or a variant of it? You have sajji which is a whole spit fire.

There is the Baluchi word "Sebi" .

This is new development, BBQ was not there at least 50 years back, we had seek ( steel rod ) kabab , tikka boti. and ofcourse Sajji ( only in Balochistan, nothing outside of it ).
Actually here... it is a national holiday... National Braai day.

WHen i was in Turkey - everything is kebab; same in iran as well except for kobideh.

May be a good opportunity to start a social media campaign to promote local word.

It is -- please share from Bangladesh as well.

an old friend from Syleti descent - i had hilsa with him. I liked it.
Will defer politely with you here.
By suggesting Pakistanis should sample Hilsa you are subjecting them to the grave risk of choking on the fine fish bones.
Hilsa is NOT native to Pakistan or even common in the rest of the subcontinent. It is mainly found in the Ganges Delta though some rivers in West Bengal province of India have small populations. So very few people know how to eat this fish.

Bangladeshis (and Bengalis in India ) have developed the art of eating Hilsa as an inherited ethnic ability where they use their tongues to expertly pick and shift the bones to one corner of their mouths from where these are removed either by disgorgement or through the use of fingers.
WARNING ! Unless specifically trained do NOT attempt to eat Hilsa fish, no matter how graciously this is offered by your host. There is a severe risk of suffering extreme pain with the bones lodged in the throat for days requiring medical intervention. Death due choking and infection from lacerated throats or perforated intestines have been known to occur.

Will defer politely with you here.
By suggesting Pakistanis should sample Hilsa you are subjecting them to the grave risk of choking on the fine fish bones.
Hilsa is NOT native to Pakistan or even common in the rest of the subcontinent. It is mainly found in the Ganges Delta though some rivers in West Bengal province of India have small populations. So very few people know how to eat this fish.

Bangladeshis (and Bengalis in India ) have developed the art of eating Hilsa as an inherited ethnic ability where they use their tongues to expertly pick and shift the bones to one corner of their mouths from where these are removed either by disgorgement or through the use of fingers.
WARNING ! Unless specifically trained do NOT attempt to eat Hilsa fish, no matter how graciously this is offered by your host. There is a severe risk of suffering extreme pain with the bones lodged in the throat for days requiring medical intervention. Death due choking and infection from lacerated throats or perforated intestines have been known to occur.
ok. it is fine; i had zero issues eating - Carp is as bad too.

Pakistan is generally regarded as a bread culture, with meals being eaten with the right hand and naan bread or roti used to scoop up curries and accompaniments as is the practice in Muslim culture. Other popular breads include chapati and parata – fried bread stuffed with dhal or meat and vegetable mixtures

Pakistan is generally regarded as a bread culture, with meals being eaten with the right hand and naan bread or roti used to scoop up curries and accompaniments as is the practice in Muslim culture. Other popular breads include chapati and parata – fried bread stuffed with dhal or meat and vegetable mixtures
We make the best Biryanis too.
Sorry for my bias but I rate the cuisine in the subcontinent this way :
1. Pakistani ( All food with
provincial variations).
2. Indian Food
2.1. Punjabi ( pseudo Pakistani)
2.2. Hyderabadi
2.3. South Indian Vegetarian👍
2.4. South Indian Non-Vegetarian
( Mostly sea food )
All others don't count.
3. Bangladeshi Food
3.1 Dhaka Non-Vegetarian
Cuisine only ( Rezala, Kutchi
Biryani 🥴, Sutki Fish curry 😐)
All others don't count.

4. Sri Lankan Food :
Sea food 👍👍

Please give the name of the food, dont just picture, there is also a Pakistani restaurant in South Jakarta that I want to visit some day......

Mutton Steam Tikka
and Mutton Koila Handi Recipe

We make the best Biryanis too.
Sorry for my bias but I rate the cuisine in the subcontinent this way :
1. Pakistani ( All food with
provincial variations).
2. Indian Food
2.1. Punjabi ( pseudo Pakistani)
2.2. Hyderabadi
2.3. South Indian Vegetarian👍
2.4. South Indian Non-Vegetarian
( Mostly sea food )
All others don't count.
3. Bangladeshi Food
3.1 Dhaka Non-Vegetarian
Cuisine only ( Rezala, Kutchi
Biryani 🥴, Sutki Fish curry 😐)
All others don't count.

4. Sri Lankan Food :
Sea food 👍👍
While it's understandable being a Pakistani, you placed pakistani food in the top spot

Being an Indian, I'd rank Indian food as the following but again that's just me
1. Hyderabadi/Nizami
2. South Indian Non-Veg
3. South Indian Veg
4. Lucknowi Mughlai and Punjabi
5. North Eastern
6. Bengali

Back
Top Bottom