What's new

Famous Pakistani Food

I'm unsure what it's exactly called in english but the cooking style is called "pulusu" in Telugu and "Kulampu" in Tamil where the fish is made into chunks and cooked in a spicy broth which usually has tamarind to give it a tangy flavor.

Pulasa fish is also cooked in the same manner (pulusu/kulampu) where you can get the best of it's flavors and could be replicated with any type of seafood. People also cook veggies in the same manner and this style is preferred because it lasts longer than a typical curry and goes very well with rice. The end product looks something like this

View attachment 697316

An interesting fact about pulasa is it actually has two names - Pulasa and Yelasa. The fish is regularly called Yelasa but attains the Pulasa phase when the females get pregnant with their bellies loaded with eggs and they swim against the waters to lay eggs closer to the shores...that's the phase when it's known to taste the best - the Pulasa phase which is actually very expensive. People at times tend to sell Yelasa phase fishes (both male & female) terming em as Pulasa at exaggerated prices which newbies couldn't make out the difference since both look the same
Interesting! Very different from the West Bengal/ Bangladeshi version where it is almost a watery turmeric soup with fish pulp. The Jholer Maach curry has the head and tail of the fish as well. I suspect the Pulusu chunks are first lightly fried or marinated which is why they are holding their shape. There is a roughly similar East Punjabi dish called "Fish Amritsari" but I suspect this is a copycat dish from somewhere else in India.
In Pakistan, sea fish are preferred which are fried or roasted on a spit over a grill after marinating in a sauce. More of a Middle Eastern tradition of the samak
Pomfret are the favorites .
Hi everybody.... I just wanted to know how much is the vegetarianism in Pakistan..... is there any portion of population who is completely vegetarian or vegan??? Just out of love towards animals or just to perseù a different lifestyle???
This I'm just asking out of curiosity..... even in western countries who are hard core non vegetarians we get to see such group of people....
Apart from the upper caste Sindhi Hindu population there are no vegetarians in Pakistan. This thread is about cuisines. Not about who is a vegetarian and if vegetarianism is superior. Kindly confine yourself to the topic. You are welcome to share the Vaishnav Bhojnalya menu here for comments. Do post pictures of your puri, batashas and bhajis, along with the bhang lassi which you imbibe during holi.
Also do a spelling and grammar check on your posts wherever possible . I am sure your English is excellent.

Last edited:
I suspect the Pulusu chunks are first lightly fried or marinated which is why they are holding their shape
Not actually but you might as well do it that way. I personally pre-marinate everything here in the US since the meat by itself has less flavor while pre-fry isn't preferred since the flavor doesn't seep in during the pulusu style cooking process. In traditional cooking, the chunks are neither pre-fried nor pre-marinated...they go in towards the end right before you put in some water. You can search on YT for "Pulasa Pulusu" recipes. There are different versions though but the core concept is the same.
In Pakistan, sea fish are preferred which are fried or roasted on a spit over a grill after marinating in a sauce. More of a Middle Eastern tradition of the samak
Pomfret are the favorites
How's the seafood scene in Pak? I heard from an ex-colleague who's from Sindh that it's pretty good in Karachi and the South. Indians prefer river food over seafood cuz they're less smelly, particularly in the South since there are a lot of river basins and deltas. Is it any similar along the Indus?

Not actually but you might as well do it that way. I personally pre-marinate everything here in the US since the meat by itself has less flavor while pre-fry isn't preferred since the flavor doesn't seep in during the pulusu style cooking process. In traditional cooking, the chunks are neither pre-fried nor pre-marinated...they go in towards the end right before you put in some water. You can search on YT for "Pulasa Pulusu" recipes. There are different versions though but the core concept is the same.

Thanks ! Will find the recipe and make the Pulusu style curry. Will have to substitute bottled tamarind paste as fresh ripened tamarind is hard to get.

How's the seafood scene in Pak? I heard from an ex-colleague who's from Sindh that it's pretty good in Karachi and the South. Indians prefer river food over seafood cuz they're less smelly, particularly in the South since there are a lot of river basins and deltas. Is it any similar along the Indus?
Much of the Pakistani rivers are "cold water " rivers which are glacier fed, ( instead of the both glacier and monsoon in India) and so the kind of fish normally associated with warm water deltas are not there. What is more is some of the rivers ( except Punjab) run through almost a desert type, rock and sand type terrain.With less food in the rivers the fish are small and not so plentiful. Inland riverine fishing is not so well established as in India.

Seafood with both traditional and modern fishing in the South East and in the South West is an established industry. Gwadar is an established sea fishing port and of course the newly established city has a number of excellent sea food restaurants.
As a Northerner I am not a fish expert, and beyond tuna, breem, pompano and pomfret I can't identify the fish in Pakistan.
But here is a very interesting website showing the kinds of fish harvested by our coastal fishing communities.

But back to the cuisine.
The fish dishes in Pakistan can be broadly grouped into three distinct types.
1. Kababs, both with whole fish grilled on the spit, or as grilled minced patties, seekh (minced), is the most common dish.
2. Fried fish (marinated) either lightly fried on a hot plate or baked ( tandoori fish) . Note that fish are not usually deep fried in western parts of Pakistan.
Fish Tikka is the fish version of its chicken counterpart.

3. Lightly sautéed fish ( Lahori fish) with a curry sauce ( not a liquid soup curry like Bengali dishes ), some what similar to the Delhi/ East Punjabi dishes. This would be the "wettest " dish of all and is usually eaten with rice.
(The above two fish dishes,Kababs and Tikkas are eaten with yogurt-mint sauce with bread. )

4. Special dishes on, crabs, prawn, and shrimp called "fishermen's" recipes.
These are spiced sautéed dishes made from fresh live catch by the "tourist" boating trip with local fishermen in spots like Hawks Bay Karachi, The tourist gets into the fishing boat, and shadows the traditional fishermen who catch cook and serve the seafood for the customers. The shrimp and crabs resemble western sea food in appearance (red and in their shells ) . These are served with a kind of salad with fresh sliced onions, lemon juice, ( or tomatoes) and green chillies, These are eaten either only with the salad or with a little cummins rice.

B47B9AA8-E57B-4BBC-B8C2-698C637A5A87.jpeg
EBA2F622-BA93-4BB3-8626-35751DCAFF4F.jpeg
E86C3080-39BF-4B81-B9DB-5BA9ECBC27D3.jpeg
4A751370-556C-4D29-B17C-95073D14ACB0.jpeg

Last edited:
👩‍🍳
Easy Bhindi Masala Recipe

Ingredients

Okra ½ kg
Oil ½ cup
Garlic 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Chili powder 1 tsp heaped
Black seed 1/2 tsp
Turmeric ½ tsp
Tomatoes 3 (finely chopped)
Green chilies 4 (small ones whole)
Onion 1 (fried light golden)

👩‍🍳
Cooking Directions

Fry okra in oil till slightly brown.
Remove in the same oil fry garlic, salt, chili powder, black seed and turmeric, fry by adding little water.
Add chopped tomatoes, cook on slow fire.
Lastly add fried okra with green chilies and brown fried onion, leave it on simmer for 10 minutes.

Bhindi Masala is ready to serve.
🍱
🍴
😋

1608342632762.png

👩
🍳
Delicious Gujrilla
💓

Ingredients

Milk one kilo
(Carrot two pcs) (Pumpkin kush)
Rice half cup (soaked and blended)
Lost half cup
Sugar four meal spoons or custom
Cardamom powder a tea spoon
Kyora a tea spoon
Pistachio almonds

👩
🍳
Cooking Directions

Boil the milk -
Now add carrots, rice and cardamom powder in milk and put it for cooking and keep shaking the spoon.
When it becomes thick, carrots and rice are melted well, add sugar and kyora asens to it and let it cook for five to eight minutes. Now add khoya -
Take out in the serong bowl.
Garnish with pista, almonds and silver paper.
😋

🥣
🥕

1608475952916.png

Let's enjoy Sarso ka Sag, Chawal k atay ki Roti, Chawal and Glass of Lassi. Specialty of Village food of rural side in Sindh .

1609182633306.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom