What's new

Facebook, Google and Twitter Rebel Against Pakistan’s Censorship Rules

It's not rocket science, every country can build their own. Social media now can exert bigger influence to the public than the government, you should know how dangerou it will become if it's in foreign hands.

Public doesn't need social media to cause any trouble in Pakistan. It takes just one good hot Friday.

We have serious data security issues of a consumerist society.

Otherwise the government has a moral authority equivalent to that of a poacher in Pakistan.

The government should sue them.

When there is a will, there's a way.

Most of these are just data centers used by Indian call centres to spam people and fake their identity.

Sue them for what? If they don’t to comply than just ban them. Problem solved!

Don't leave your social media platforms to hostile countries hands, they can be used against you at your enemeies will and wreak havoc to your countrie. It's common sense.

Yes, this is why no one uses China’s social media apps. Who knows what they are doing with user data.

Why has no Pakistani made equivalent apps like China does??

For all of my "anti-China" posts (according to certain Pakis and Chinese), I do give my fair share of credit to what China has actually done that's good for their country.

they are there just not as popular. Unless you just want to connect to fellow Pakistanis, then it’s fine. Otherwise it’s limiting.

There is no blanket freedom of expression. You cannot speak in the favour of terrorism, or holocaust - and rightfully so. There is no difference in the hurt which Muslims feel vs Christians or Jews feel - and there must be no freedom to malign Islam or its values.

Disagreement is not equal to insult. You can disagree with Islam but you cannot insult it.
  • All prophets must be respected including Prophets of Christians, Jews and Islam. If you want to take the liberty to insult yours, doesn't mean you are permitted to malign Prophet of Islam. You do not have the right hurt religious sentiments of others.
  • You can disagree with the Quran but you cannot celebrate Burn a Quran Day
  • You can allow freedom of opinion, but cannot back terrorists killing innocents in Pakistan.

If social media fails to see the picture, you got to work with them and make them see. Pakitan is not asking for anything which is out and beyond the current norms of the world. The only difference is that it is asking for enforcement of laws which work for the West and have not been working for Pakistan or Islam.
If prophet Mohammad believed in what you are saying Islam wouldn't have been here in the first place...Mohammad denounced idol worship in the strongest of terms...his words had hurt pagans of Mecca.
I am not saying what he said was wrong..he had freedom.of expression.
Similarly I have the freedom of expression to denounce or call religions and prophets cheat...we are living in 21st century where people have enough means to verify everything that they get to see and hear.
If these religious people really believe that their religion is god sent One,why should they worry some Tom,dick and Harry is criticising his religion..Cant that omnipotent ,omniscience and omnipresent god protect his own religion?why should we mortals be so concerned about it?
If I say 2+2=5 , you wouldn't get hurt thinking that god made 2+2=4 and how dare this fellow calls it 5..you won't charge me with blasphemy..you laugh thinking that I am mad and move on...if one really believes their religion is so true they would have the same reaction.
Subconsciously we all know religion is a man made construct...we don't really believe in heaven and he'll...but because religion is a part of our identity we fight tooth and nail to protect it..because you feel your identity is threatened...(unconsciously mind creates an illusion that your very existence is threatened as it connects your identity with your existence)
Anyway ,it's foolish to think that we can stop people from getting knowledge by censoring internet...the more we try to forbid something ,the more people try to get that forbidden thing..

Yes, this is why no one uses China’s social media apps. Who knows what they are doing with user data.
Tik Tok is a Chinese app and has many users around the world, many foreigners also use Wechat, but anyway you can build your own platforms, both US and Chinese ones are foreign platforms and can pose threat to you some point in the future.

Social media now is everything in China, Wechat, Weibo..., but we'll never allow foreign countries to control them, giving your social media control to foreign countries is like handing a gun to them and letting them to point it on your head.

Yea the CCP commies will control them by arresting people and deleting an entire discussion. Better system indeed.

Yea the CCP commies will control them by arresting people and deleting an entire discussion. Better system indeed.
I only suggest you should build your own, and your attack is totally uncalled for. I never suggest that you should replace US with China's. it's just a piece of advice, you may take it or leave it, it should not be my concern.

There is no blanket freedom of expression. You cannot speak in the favour of terrorism, or holocaust - and rightfully so. There is no difference in the hurt which Muslims feel vs Christians or Jews feel - and there must be no freedom to malign Islam or its values.

Disagreement is not equal to insult. You can disagree with Islam but you cannot insult it.
  • All prophets must be respected including Prophets of Christians, Jews and Islam. If you want to take the liberty to insult yours, doesn't mean you are permitted to malign Prophet of Islam. You do not have the right hurt religious sentiments of others.
  • You can disagree with the Quran but you cannot celebrate Burn a Quran Day
  • You can allow freedom of opinion, but cannot back terrorists killing innocents in Pakistan.

If social media fails to see the picture, you got to work with them and make them see. Pakitan is not asking for anything which is out and beyond the current norms of the world. The only difference is that it is asking for enforcement of laws which work for the West and have not been working for Pakistan or Islam.
Either these are empty threats or these companies don't realize how they are dependent on views and users for their profits...and not the governments. If they leave Pakistan bcuz of censorship...what's next? There are plenty of other governments that are even stricter than Pak government when it comes to censorship...are they gonna leave there too?

Then either they will have to eat their words and embarrass themselves
OR
They will keep their word and be limited to US and western Europe for the most part...which will give way for some other compliant(to each government's wishes in their respective country) competitor to step up and provide similar platforms for the ppl these companies are threatening to leave.

In either of those cases it is those companies that lose.

If prophet Mohammad believed in what you are saying Islam wouldn't have been here in the first place...Mohammad denounced idol worship in the strongest of terms...his words had hurt pagans of Mecca.
Similarly I have the freedom of expression to denounce or call religions and prophets cheat...we are living in 21st century where people have enough means to verify everything that they get to see and hear.
If these religious people really believe that their religion is god sent One,why should they worry some Tom,dick and Harry is criticising his religion..Cant that omnipotent ,omniscience and omnipresent god protect his own religion?why should we mortals be so concerned about it?
If I say 2+2=5 , you wouldn't get hurt thinking that god made 2+2=4 and how dare this fellow calls it 5..you won't charge me with blasphemy..you laugh thinking that I am mad and move on...if one really believes their religion is so true they would have the same reaction.
Subconsciously we all know religion is a man made construct...we don't really believe in heaven and he'll...but because religion is a part of our identity we fight tooth and nail to protect it..because you feel your identity is threatened...(unconsciously mind creates an illusion that your very existence is threatened as it connects your identity with your existence)
Anyway ,it's foolish to think that we can stop people from getting knowledge by censoring internet...the more we try to forbid something ,the more people try to get that forbidden thing..

You're comparing a 7th century event....where anyone could do anything, including demolish idols....with 21st century stuff, like you said yourself.

In the 21st century, do you see Muslims breaking idols??? Yea, we have Muslim missionaries that preach but that's within the confinement of basic human rights.

Basic human rights doesn't mean you start an online flame war or try to hurt the sentiments of others. That's considered trolling and we all know how different govt.'s deal with trolls that get ahead of themselves. :D

Pakistan must not isolate itself in Social Media. The Pakistani people are immersed in Social Media and there will be strong reaction against the government. Pakistan is not North Korea or China !

I understand very well your position on the subject but we have to think out of the box solutions.

We have to make balanced approach as we should protect our privacy, security of our Nation and do business. But should tell them that everything should be done according law and rules of the land.

Should US laws be applied on Pakistan, then please make Pakistan your 52nd state officially and US citizenship be granted to every Pakistani.

If not then accept that we are not USA’s state so no American law should be imposed on us.

I use google myself but only when I don’t get positive results with Qwant search engine. I will try DuckDuck Go and another search engine.

About Social media, we should teach to everyone what are the risks, how to handle them etc.

I use also outlook as email provider. Could you imagine that I was able to bring back alive an email I had deleted weeks ago ? An email which I have even deleted from bin folder because it was a phishing scam using perfectly my bank’s official email ?

Imagine how many emails are deleted by people ? Those emails are no more readable normally but still Microsoft kept them somewhere... I’m sure it’s same with gmail Facebook Twitter etc. Data you can’t control anymore is in their hands ! Your data !

That’s why we should start to think out of the box and slowly but surely make our own tools.

Sure Islam disagrees with Idol worshipping or Trinity in Christianity or Jews interpretation of God - but its an intellectual disagreement. Debates happen between Christian and Muslims - and Idol Worshipers and Islam and those debates happen in order to find the truth - not to malign or mud-sling the other.

You can go and preach Idol Worshiping (if this is the faith you follow) but you can not preach hatred against Islam - if this makes sense.

Facebook, Google and Twitter threaten to leave Pakistan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/technology/pakistan-internet-censorship.html

Facebook, Google and Twitter Rebel Against Pakistan’s Censorship Rules

The battle is the latest skirmish between internet companies and governments over who decides what content should be online.

merlin_141540090_a0cfbe86-f39d-4160-b68f-76c45bbf8ebc-articleLarge.jpg

Facebook, Google, Twitter and others have banded together and threatened to leave Pakistan and its 70 million internet users in digital darkness.Credit...Aamir Qureshi/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
By Vindu Goel and Salman Masood

• Feb. 27, 2020

MUMBAI, India — When Pakistan’s government unveiled some of the world’s most sweeping rules on internet censorship this month, global internet companies like Facebook, Google and Twitter were expected to comply or face severe penalties — including the potential shutdown of their services.
Maanay ko batao k chawalian marna band kary.

Why give them the initiative . . Why not to ban them to start with

Local platforms will replace them

Back
Top Bottom