What's new

Pakistan’s 4-day internet shutdown was the final straw for its tech workers

Was the 'cause' perpetuated by the common man?!
Not at all. We both know the perps.

Sure, causes can have effects... but effects can have consequences.
And consequences can shape people's minds and change their hearts. Good for us, Pakistani people are a docile lot.

Question is, did your 'Supreme (cult) Leader' cared about the consequences of his actions on the common man when he ordered the blockade of streets and unleashed his 'Youth' / Cannon Fodder into the cities?
A better question is: Did your Omniscient, Omnipotent generals care about any of that before they dragged him into that van, leading to everything else, that was clear as day.

The crazy 'Youth' burned down houses, shops, motorcycles, cars, even a mosque... who's to blame?!
Save it. Mobs have no brains in them. You expect mobs to show sound judgement but not the Almighty generals in charge of the world 5th largest population. And the mosque is a bit too much, don't you think?

Besides, there's more than enough evidence that company men and punjab puls pigs in civvies infiltrated crowds. Arson took place even in places there were no crowds. I am not going to repeat what you have probably already seen but chose to ignore.

Why all that randi rona about the quote/unquote "internet blackout" but not a tear about any of this?
First of all, unlike yourself, my memory doesn't start with the aftermath of IK's arrest. So, let's not kid ourselves.

Secondly, even in purely economic terms, the motorcycles destroyed (still no way of knowing how much by punjab puls and company men and how much by rioters) are dwarfed by direct and opportunity cost caused by these baboons f*cking with the internet.

It's all about looking at the big picture, bub.
That's quite ironic for someone blaming 9th may on IK to claim, bub

But I like cupcakes?
Everybody likes cupcakes :D

By that logic, we should believe in the fake news peddled by Godi Media without bothering to use our braincells and looking at the big picture ourselves?
Nice strawman. Now every news article against the holy generals. in the world is fake, and Godi media level of fake.

I'd also like to bring your attention to that fact that it hasn't escaped me that you started with "there was no shutdown. i work from home and everything was fine" to "they destroyed mosques". But, I totally understand. As @313ghazi sb said, you are quite the mental gymnast. But, we know all those tricks as we used to be too. Being a good faujeet requires rigorous mental athletics abilities just like being a good fauji requires rigorous physical athletics :lol:

Last edited:

Foreign contractors and clients are reconsidering hiring remote tech workers from Pakistan.​

• The internet shutdown came on the heels of rising political instability, compounded by growing unemployment, soaring inflation, and depleting foreign exchange reserves.
  • Pakistanis are now leaving the country in droves in search of better prospects abroad. At least 800,000 migrated for employment in 2022.
  • After a year of record-breaking funding in 2021, experts say the shutdown has taken the country’s tech ecosystem “10 steps back."
On May 16, frustrated with an unexpected internet shutdown in Pakistan, Karachi-based app developer Wajahat Karim posted a poll on LinkedIn. The 32-year-old asked his connections if they wanted to move abroad “considering the uncertainty in the country these days.” To Karim’s surprise, 70% of the 399 people who voted — mostly tech workers and mid-tier professionals — responded with a yes.

“I didn’t expect such an overwhelming majority to say they wanted to leave Pakistan,” Karim told Rest of World. He said the political and economic circumstances in the country had made it very difficult to work without constant roadblocks, prompting many professionals to want to leave. “There are no proper payment gateways, mass unpredictability and uncertainty, an absence of reliability and trust between [remote] workers and the government,” said Karim.

Part of the frustration expressed in reaction to Karim’s post came from a recent four-day internet shutdown across Pakistan, which started on May 9 amid widespread protests against the arrest of former Prime Minister Imran Khan on charges of corruption. The development took place as Pakistan reeled from record-high unemployment, inflation reaching 38%, and depleting foreign exchange reserves. Due to the internet blackout, Karim was unable to access Meta’s Open Source library for a project. “Our startup ecosystem has suffered. Investors are hesitant to invest. They don’t know what’s going to happen next,” he said.

Although the internet shutdown was temporary, it brought the country’s IT industry to a grinding halt. Tech workers from Pakistan told Rest of World they were concerned about its lasting effects on jobs, and the tech industry as a whole. After a year of record-breaking funding in 2021, the internet blackout has taken the country’s tech ecosystem “10 steps back,” said experts, fueling fears that international investors might reconsider investing in Pakistan.

“Shutdowns have serious consequences for our standing as a tech destination,” Shehryar Hydri, managing partner at early-stage venture capital firm Deosai Ventures and the former secretary-general of Pakistan’s IT industry association, told Rest of World. “Customers can forgive other things but they do not accept unpredictable behavior and [internet] blackouts like the one we saw. If you keep throwing such surprises to local and international stakeholders, everyone will move on to other markets and not look at Pakistan before 2025.”

Freelance tech workers said the internet shutdown has caused them to lose clientele they had built over years; one even said she was contemplating migrating to another country.

Four days of no internet cost freelance front-end web developer Sania Ijaz five of her 10 clients and a significant chunk of her monthly income, she told Rest of World. The 23-year-old, who works out of a local community center in the small town of Layyah, earns a living from overseas clients, most of whom are based in the U.S.

“People in other countries, obviously, were not facing an internet shutdown. [Clients] expected their orders to be fulfilled, and when they weren’t being fulfilled from Pakistan, they turned towards workers in other countries,” she said.

Ijaz said her monthly income of approximately $2,800 was slashed by half. She fears it will take her months to regain the momentum she lost due to the internet shutdown. Ijaz also has eight family members who depend on her income — they are currently subsisting on her savings from the past three years.

Pakistan has the third-largest base of freelance workers in the world, with tech workers making up a large chunk of it.

The internet shutdown has exacerbated foreign clients’ wariness about hiring tech workers from Pakistan, eroding years of efforts and creating a “trust deficit,” Asfia Aiman, a software engineer from Islamabad, told Rest of World. The 28-year-old said she lost nearly $4,000 worth of work because she couldn’t get in touch with her clients on time due to the internet outage. “Even if we somehow managed to get in touch with our clients, we couldn’t give [them] a clear timeline with regards to restoration of the internet, because the PTA [Pakistan Telecommunication Authority] said that the ban was indefinite,” said Aiman.

When Aiman meets other young techies, she said they often talk about settling abroad. She, too, has been looking for a way out. “There’s a kind of desperation among young people here now, they just want to get out as quickly as possible,” she said. Roughly 800,000 Pakistanis moved out of the country in search of jobs in 2022, according to the country’s Bureau of Emigration and Overseas Employment — the highest number of emigrants since 2016.

Hira Saeed is the CEO and founder of Koi.work, a Pakistani company that helps global businesses hire local tech talent. She told Rest of World the May internet shutdown has made it harder for her to convince foreign clients to hire remote tech workers from Pakistan, as they now prefer countries with a more stable sociopolitical environment.

“This setback not only affected our own team’s productivity but also strained our relationships with clients who were relying on our talent to deliver timely and quality services,” Saeed said. “Such events can raise concerns among foreign investors and clients, potentially affecting their willingness to invest resources and place trust in a country where internet shutdowns loom large.”

Many outsourcing companies attempted to come up with workarounds to access the internet, such as swapping broadband for Wi-Fi and using VPNs. But due to throttled bandwidths and blocked social media platforms, few to no internet-based tasks could be done. Ali Raza Rizvi, who runs a Karachi-based intermediary agency that helps foreign and local companies outsource platform-based marketing services, told Rest of World their work was “severely impacted” due to Instagram and Facebook being inaccessible.

“For four days, our developers only did basic coding, they didn’t do any releases,” said Rizvi. According to the Pakistan IT Industry Association, the national body which represents the IT sector, between $3 million to $4 million was lost per day during the internet shutdown.

Aiman, the software engineer from Islamabad, said she will have to spend sleepless nights on call with clients in opposite time zones to make up for her losses. But she told Rest of World the extra work is the least of her concerns. “The country is in turmoil. I remember that the dishwashing liquid I bought in 2020 cost 200 rupees [around $1]. And it costs over 400 rupees now,” she said. “That’s double. People like us, we have savings and can eat. But for how long?”

@Maula Jatt @PakSarZameen47 @Menace2Society @Pakstallion @Vapnope @Areesh @DESERT FIGHTER @Desert Fox 1 @N.Siddiqui @Norwegian @TNT @Imad.Khan @Dalit @ziaulislam @EternalMortal @lastofthepatriots @WarKa DaNG @Warking @Talwar e Pakistan @WinterFangs @kingQamaR @Menace2Society @Indus Pakistan @Ghazwa-e-Hind @Norwegian @PakFactor @akramishaqkhan @Zornix @pakpride00090 @Abid123 @Goritoes @SecularNationalist @PakistaniandProud @PAKISTANFOREVER @Dual Wielder @Great Janjua @ahaider97 @PakFactor @Sayfullah @SaadH @villageidiot @Olympus81@Mobius 1 @General Dong @Genghis khan1@alphapak @RealNapster @Kharral @Mobius 1@Goenitz @Muhammad Saftain Anjum @AA_ @Mobius 1 @Great Janjua @The Accountant @PakSword @villageidiot @Kharral @SaadH @Goenitz @PakFactor @Tamerlane @ARMalik @Khan_21 @Yousafzai_M @NaqsheYaar @NooriNuth @SaadH @Kharral @AA_ @SaadH @Tamerlane @villageidiot @waz @PakSword @Mugen @Tamerlane @PakAlp @HerbertPervert @Path-Finder @Tamerlane @Drexluddin Khan Spiveyzai @AlKardai @waz @Areesh @hatehs @Path-Finder @HerbertPervert @Dr. Strangelove @Sayfullah @Clutch

This was expected. I have two remote workers around the Clifton area who were without internet access, and load shedding is another factor in productivity. During the IK fiasco, I had to spend sleepless nights doing their part of the work and mine. I depend on these guys to feed me info while I'm in client meetings, etc. Imagine the brains being shut down in front of multi-million dollar clients.

Last edited:
This was expected I have two remote workers around the Clifton area who were without internet access, and load shedding is another factor when it comes to productivity. During the IK fiasco, I had to spend sleepless nights doing their part of the work, and mine. These are guys I depend on to feed men info while I'm in client meetings, etc image the brains being shut down in front of multi million dollar clients.

There are a lot of companies and small startups who rely on remote graphic designers in Pakistan. Some of those companies are now hiring other people from other countries due to those internet shutdowns.

What’s even more abhorrent is that the faujeets and generals don’t even acknowledge the damage they have caused.

The PDM eunuques and our Gemales in kaki don’t like when Pakistani awam earn money out of their control because it gives the awam the independence, the azadi !

They prefer to keep us like apes in cage :

IMG_9880.jpeg

This ape is under their control !

And consequences can shape people's minds and change their hearts.

Just like it changed Fawad Chaudhry's mind and heart?!

Did your Omniscient, Omnipotent generals care about any of that before they dragged him into that van, leading to everything else, that was clear as day.

A better question would've been: Did your Omniscient, Omnipotent generals care about any of that before they gave him the throne on a silver platter back in 2018, that was clear as day.

The guy clearly had a screw loose and yet... well, I'm not sure what they saw in him. But then again, it was either him or Noonie Bros + Mr. 10%, so... I guess the Generals made the most out of the lousy hand they'd been dealt.

Can't blame 'em!

And the mosque is a bit too much, don't you think?

I wish...

That's quite ironic for someone blaming 9th may on IK to claim, bub

His lousy attempt at a coup made him look stupid in front of the whole world, bubba. Hell yeah he's going to steer well clear of it!

The key thing to remember is the fact that the people sitting way high up in the PTI hierarchy - including Imran Khan - have made no real efforts to rescue the youth rotting in our jails, now have they?

He just threw them at the army like cannon fodder... not much unlike a cult leader. Just fire and forget.

Now, I couldn't care less about PPP or PMLN but at least their top dogs have spent time in jails, right alongside their party jiyalas. Plus, they've stayed with the leaders through thick and thin.

And loyalty ought to mean something in these desperate times, eh?

Being a good faujeet requires rigorous mental athletics abilities just like being a good fauji requires rigorous physical athletics :lol:

Assigning labels to people is the easiest job in the world. Anyhow, I'm not affiliated with Pakistan Army in any capacity... not that I feel the need to explain myself to you, or anyone else for that matter.

Just clearing the air for all 'cupcakes,' once and for all.

The PDM eunuques and our Gemales in kaki don’t like when Pakistani awam earn money out of their control because it gives the awam the independence, the azadi !

They prefer to keep us like apes in cage :

View attachment 933527

This ape is under their control !

1686322747629.jpeg

Last edited:
My company had 6 contracts with Pakistani firms. 3 of them were selected by my predecessor (9 year relationship, 5, 5), 1 through competitive bidding (4 year relationship), and 2 by me (4 and 3). We're talking 87 employees.

All contracts are being phased out this year Q3. It'll impact the business at $140k to ramp up other contractors but we can't afford work stoppages nor am I going to explain Pakistan to any colleague.

I led all the contracts and even after 8 years with my company i'm not going to carry someone else on my reputation or sacrifice mine for a people who don't care about theirs.

I don't care about emotions nor will the tears of CEOs saddened about how we were the cornerstone of their company.

@Thaoratic Muslim

All contracts are being phased out this year Q3.

Hopefully, you will transfer most of them to india.

Regards

There are a lot of companies and small startups who rely on remote graphic designers in Pakistan. Some of those companies are now hiring other people from other countries due to those internet shutdowns.

What’s even more abhorrent is that the faujeets and generals don’t even acknowledge the damage they have caused.

From what I'm hearing and seeing, the next top hiring destination is in Armenia. They have stable political and economic policies and structures in place. They are producing educated computer science graduates at European standards.
I know a lot of financial houses setting up offices there.

Just like it changed Fawad Chaudhry's mind and heart?!
We both know what changed his heart and mind :D

A better question would've been: Did your Omniscient, Omnipotent generals care about any of that before they gave him the throne on a silver platter back in 2018, that was clear as day.

The guy clearly had a screw loose and yet... well, I'm not sure what they saw in him. But then again, it was either him or Noonie Bros + Mr. 10%, so... I guess the Generals made the most out of the lousy hand they'd been dealt.
By whom? Providence?

Who tf told them to shove their nose in electoral affairs?

You're saying they violated their oaths and the constitution, manipulated the electoral system which is the basis of a democracy but because their options for who to unconstitutionally favor in this high treason were limited, so you can't blame them.

Can't make this stuff up. :lol:

I wish...

First of all, I don't believe this Jinnah House was genuinely arson either. Let alone a mosque, in this crazed, zombified by molvis country least of all.

Looting is one thing. I don't think the fire was started by rioters. Unless, you're saying those army trucks dropping men in civvies in multiple videos were commandeered by PTI?

His lousy attempt at a coup made him look stupid in front of the whole world,
9th May was a coup? How so? He was going to declare himself PM? or worse army chief?

I think we are making progress. Cupcake? Check. Bub? Check. BOB? Check Bubba? Check.
Just don't call me bubbalicious :D

Hell yeah he's going to steer well clear of it!
He still hasn't apologized tho.

The key thing to remember is the fact that the people sitting way high up in the PTI hierarchy - including Imran Khan - have made no real efforts to rescue the youth rotting in our jails, now have they?
Any fine suggestions? Oh wait.. he should go to the Supreme Court.

Yes, the same one that's been sitting on absolute travesty of human and constitutional rights and the holding in contempt and violation of their own decisions.

Close but no cigar. :lol:

He just threw them at the army like cannon fodder... not much unlike a cult leader. Just fire and forget.
How nice of you to think about the wellbeing of the youth. How about you let the youth make that judgement?

Now, I couldn't care less about PPP or PMLN but at least their top dogs have spent time in jails, right alongside their party jiyalas. Plus, they've stayed with the leaders through thick and thin.
For what it's worth, they and their oppressors were of the same cloth. Zardari's life was never in danger, like IK's is.

Notice how I didn't mention Nawaz Sharif :D

And loyalty ought to mean something in these desperate times, eh?
It does. But, you need to take that chip off your shoulder to see it.

Assigning labels to people is the easiest job in the world. Anyhow, I'm not affiliated with Pakistan Army in any capacity... not that I feel the need to explain myself to you, or anyone else for that matter.

Just clearing the air for all 'cupcakes,' once and for all.
Why are you getting so defensive, yaar? I actually thought if I should use the term faujeet or not. I didn't think you'd get stuck on it for a second time.

Also, I don't think you understand how the internet works. Don't give explanations (I know you said you aren't but come on. Second time in a row?) or show weakness in general.

My company had 6 contracts with Pakistani firms. 3 of them were selected by my predecessor (9 year relationship, 5, 5), 1 through competitive bidding (4 year relationship), and 2 by me (4 and 3). We're talking 87 employees.

All contracts are being phased out this year Q3. It'll impact the business at $140k to ramp up other contractors but we can't afford work stoppages nor am I going to explain Pakistan to any colleague.

I led all the contracts and even after 8 years with my company i'm not going to carry someone else on my reputation or sacrifice mine for a people who don't care about theirs.

I don't care about emotions nor will the tears of CEOs saddened about how we were the cornerstone of their company.

Why does political problems impact the contracts ? Even with political problems I assume people can WFH to support business

Thank you napak fauj.

While I cannot speak for others, I personally experienced the loss of my online job. I was employed by an Australian company, but due to the unavailability of internet and malfunctioning 4G devices, I was unable to communicate with my office. Consequently, I was unfortunately let go from the position. It was a job that I valued, but regrettably, it is no longer mine.

Back
Top Bottom