What's new

Exclusive-India's Future Main Battle Tank (FMBT)

“For engine development, we have formed a national team comprising members from the academia, the user, industry and the DRDO. We have also gone in for an international consultant,” said S. Sundaresh, Chief Controller (Armaments and Combat Engineering), DRDO. The first prototype of the indigenous engine would be ready in four to five years.

The DRDO is launching a project to develop the transmission for the tank; the indigenous engine and transmission will together be called Bharat Power Pack and it will meet the FMBT’s mobility requirements.

“We are confident that we will be ready with the FMBT prototype in five to seven years,” Mr. Sundaresh said. “We are trying to involve all the stakeholders — the user [the Army], quality control personnel and the production agency — in this project and the industry will be our partner. We will go for a modular design so that we can always upgrade the tank when new technology comes in.”

Thats the way to go for a future project. Good to see that DRDO involved academia and private partners in this project. There will be no delay in this project for sure.

P. Sivakumar, CVRDE Director, said Arjun-Mk-II would have a total of 93 upgrades, including the advanced air defence gun system for firing at attack helicopters. The Army had placed an indent for production of 124 Arjun-Mk II tanks.

Thats a quite modifications. I guess apart from ERA, new air defence rifle and sights it will get new BMS and netcentric capabilities as well.

Can't they make Arjun MK2 into the FMBT? We're tying up with Russians for FMBT plus we're going for Arjun MK2? Then what was the point to spend so much money on T-72s?

And weight is not supposed to be Arjun's problem; Army said that it is getting Sarvatra bridges for transporting Arjuns across gaps. Also its ground pressure is better than T-90s as well as shown in the T-90 vs Arjun test in Rajasthan.

What more does Army want to make MK1 as the spine of IA rather than wasting billions on upgrading T-72s?

Yeah the same case as of Arjun and the High tech stealth spaceship LCA.

Big Words!
Little Works!!

I've never been rude, mostly!!
but this is really some fan boy stuff nothing else.:police:

our most of the projects taking too much time because we have no experience in this field. BUT at least we are trying to build some thing indigenous but what about your country who can't even think to build anything.

can any pakistani member here show me one complex or institution dedicated to reserch in their country ? not an assembly but reserch ...

can any pakistani member here show me one complex or institution dedicated to reserch in their country ? not an assembly but reserch ...

There is a Evaluation, Training And Research Organization (ETRO) under Heavy Industries Taxila..

Do some googling before putting something like this, Please.

Heard that FMBT's weight will be less than 50 ton than 1500 HP engine will make it super maneuverable!!!

Heard that FMBT's weight will be less than 50 ton than 1500 HP engine will make it super maneuverable!!!

hope they dont do a crappy external design since first impression is the best impression:azn:

A tank which weighs less than 50 ton will have compromised on its protection..

i think if there is a possibility were if a tough light weight amour is or if designed then there will be no question in compromise as far as protection is concerned

Last edited:
There is a Evaluation, Training And Research Organization (ETRO) under Heavy Industries Taxila..

Do some googling before putting something like this, Please.

benny i googled like you asked and all the R n D this establishment does is posted below , word to word

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT

HIT has undertaken R&D projects on required basis wherein it has carried out successful R&D in the following areas :

§ Tank Designing

§ Tank Modernization

§ Infantry Fighting Vehicle

§ Improved Fire Control System

kind of Ambiguous use of the english language wouldent you say? for an institute which does reserch ,is this all thats said about its reserch?

also i wanted to know if they had any reserch facilities , not , and i repeate NOT to show them down . go through my posts and reserch a little before you acuse me of trying to post irrevelant statements. i am not a fan boy trying to show one upmanship.

benny i googled like you asked and all the R n D this establishment does is posted below , word to word

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT

HIT has undertaken R&D projects on required basis wherein it has carried out successful R&D in the following areas :

§ Tank Designing

§ Tank Modernization

§ Infantry Fighting Vehicle

§ Improved Fire Control System

kind of Ambiguous use of the english language wouldent you say? for an institute which does reserch ,is this all thats said about its reserch?

also i wanted to know if they had any reserch facilities , not , and i repeate NOT to show them down . go through my posts and reserch a little before you acuse me of trying to post irrevelant statements. i am not a fan boy trying to show one upmanship.

The premier facility with regard to Armor related research in Pakistan is the Advance Armour Research & Development Complex (AARDIC) at HIT, this facility was set-up around 2004 and would be consisting of about 20-30 labs for various purposes with the passage of time.

Advance Armour Systems Research and Development and Integration and Information Centre (AARDIC)

- MAJOR OBJECTIVES -

1. Research, develop and integrate advance armour systems, and support indigenous development / production of high-tech systems.

2. Import deletion of assemblies and standalone systems through R&D and reverse engineering with in-house manufacture and in collaboration with local / foreign industries set up.

3. Carry out R&D in the field of advance armour systems.

4. Carry out limited manufacture to support R&D effort and also support the factories in manufacture of complex parts / systems.

5. To design and develop futuristic armour systems and technologies.

6. Carry out local development of high value systems:-

-Display all HIT products
-Maintain Central Data Bank of info on AFVs and its systems
-Maintain Central Briefing Room

7. Support Tank and APC rebuild mission of HIT in the field of following Advanced Armour Systems:-

-FCS/GCS
-TI/NVDs
-Mechatronics systems
-Hydraulic systems
-Optronics
-Electronics & Electrical sub systems
-Auxiliary systems (NBC, FESS, APU, Comm)

8. Support HIT in integration & Standardization of Advance Armour Systems

STATE-OF-THE-ART EQUIPMENT

1. Rapid Prototyping machines.
2. Metal and Vaccum Casting Machines.
3. 3D Scanning and Faro arm.
4. Plastic injection, Moulding Machines.
5. CAD/CAM/CAE software / Hardware with other allied accessories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some info can be taken from here:

Page 15: http://202.83.164.26/wps/wcm/connec...NONE&LIBRARY=%2FcontentRoot/icm:libraries[127]&FOLDER=%2FMinistry+of+Defence+Production%2FDefence+Production+Division%2FPublications%2F&DOC_NAME=%2FcontentRoot%2Ficm%3Alibraries[127]%2FMinistry+of+Defence+Production%2FDefence+Production+Division%2FPublications%2FYEAR+BOOK+2007.pdf&VERSION_NAME=NONE&VERSION_DATE=NONE&IGNORE_CACHE=false&CONVERT=NONE&MUST_CONVERT=false

http://pakistantimes.net/2004/12/10/top1.htm

&

http://www.defence.pk/forums/genera...ries-taxila-weapons-guide-specifications.html

The premier facility with regard to Armor related research in Pakistan is the Advance Armour Research & Development Complex (AARDIC) at HIT, this facility was set-up around 2004 and would be consisting of about 20-30 labs for various purposes with the passage of time.

Advance Armour Systems Research and Development and Integration and Information Centre (AARDIC)

- MAJOR OBJECTIVES -

1. Research, develop and integrate advance armour systems, and support indigenous development / production of high-tech systems.

2. Import deletion of assemblies and standalone systems through R&D and reverse engineering with in-house manufacture and in collaboration with local / foreign industries set up.

3. Carry out R&D in the field of advance armour systems.

4. Carry out limited manufacture to support R&D effort and also support the factories in manufacture of complex parts / systems.

5. To design and develop futuristic armour systems and technologies.

6. Carry out local development of high value systems:-

-Display all HIT products
-Maintain Central Data Bank of info on AFVs and its systems
-Maintain Central Briefing Room

7. Support Tank and APC rebuild mission of HIT in the field of following Advanced Armour Systems:-

-FCS/GCS
-TI/NVDs
-Mechatronics systems
-Hydraulic systems
-Optronics
-Electronics & Electrical sub systems
-Auxiliary systems (NBC, FESS, APU, Comm)

8. Support HIT in integration & Standardization of Advance Armour Systems

STATE-OF-THE-ART EQUIPMENT

1. Rapid Prototyping machines.
2. Metal and Vaccum Casting Machines.
3. 3D Scanning and Faro arm.
4. Plastic injection, Moulding Machines.
5. CAD/CAM/CAE software / Hardware with other allied accessories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some info can be taken from here:

Page 15: http://202.83.164.26/wps/wcm/connec...E&KEY=NONE&LIBRARY=/contentRoot/icm:libraries[127]&FOLDER=%2FMinistry+of+Defence+Production%2FDefence+Production+Division%2FPublications%2F&DOC_NAME=%2FcontentRoot%2Ficm%3Alibraries[127]%2FMinistry+of+Defence+Production%2FDefence+Production+Division%2FPublications%2FYEAR+BOOK+2007.pdf&VERSION_NAME=NONE&VERSION_DATE=NONE&IGNORE_CACHE=false&CONVERT=NONE&MUST_CONVERT=false

Pakistan Times | Top Story: 'Pakistan moves swiftly to self-reliance in defence needs'

&

http://www.defence.pk/forums/genera...ries-taxila-weapons-guide-specifications.html

thank you .

I would say that depends on what the design aim is, still old tank wars, or modern asymmetric warfare:

tk_x.jpg

Dimensions and weight
Weight 44 t

The TK-X prototype main battle tank, also referred as the Type 10, is the latest Japanese development. This new lightweight MBT weights significantly less than other modern battle tanks. It is lighter than the current Japanese Type 90 main battle tank...

...The TK-X tank was designed with asymmetric warfare in mind. A great emphasis was placed on protection against RPG rounds. Vehicle has a sloped modular ceramic composite armor similar to the Leopard 2A5. Side profile is similar to the Leclerc. Damaged armor modules can be easily replaced in field conditions. Add-on armor can also be removed to reduce combat weight to 40 tonnes for ease of transportation. This main battle tank is also completed with NBC protection and automatic fire suppression systems. It's smoke grenade launchers are coupled to laser warning receivers.

TK-X Prototype Main Battle Tank | Military-Today

Back
Top Bottom