What's new

Evolution of Threat , and Taking Action PAF

Sorry I don't see any issue with Iran / Turkey in general which is out of ordinary

Now back to the planes , these prices are listed on their global site or estimations really we should not chase F16 and just focus on parts and service

There are other options in market

F16 block 60 upgrade is very capable aircraft and can deal with any fourth gen aircraft

This seems to be the best choice with current economy

US Unit cost $22 million (MiG-29S, 2013)
US Unit cost $40-$55 Milion (Su-35S)
Euro Fighter might not have the numerical benefit due to high cost the delivery of Euro Fighter was quite smooth for Saudi Arabia

• With Budget of 1 Billion ~ 45 Migs
  • With budget of 1 Billion ~ 25 Su-35

Of course the weapons package can be purchased seperately

Going with this approach should lower our dependency on F16 overtime make it easier to adjust the fleet in future, may be more fly time done by Thunder

While F16 fleet would stay a bit more fresher , with reduced workload
Su35 costs around $100million

I think if we visually review the Pakistan Airforce and compare it to it's contemporary Indian Airforce , one can visually see the larger size which Indian Airforce has and also the higher performance crafts with "Twin" engines.

In recent years Pakistan Airforce have made subtle strides to modernize and retire it's older fleet of Mirage & F7 , however still we see a massive disadvantage in term of crafts available for Pilots to fly

View attachment 454089

Many Analyst on PDF have rasied point that when we view Pakistan Airforce it always feels like we are missing a Plane , a missing Link Twin Engine plane which Occupies the Gap area between Thunder and 5 Generation craft such as Project Azm

Perhaps a Stop Gap Plane 40 Units , Mig 29 or Sukhoi-30 or Euro Fighter or Super Hornet

The idea of course being the Twin Engine craft would give a Temporary releif to Airforce which has of course flown many Sorities in War Against Terror

The odd 40 Twin Engine would bring benefits similar to the benefit the origional F16 brought in 1980's

While it is well understood the Project Azam will take the typical 10-15 year cycle for a project

• Mig 29 (Would be Temporary releif )
  • Sukhoi-35 (Ok Choice can out live F16 Program)
  • Euro Fighter (Welcomed option can outlive F16 Program)
  • Super Hornet ( hmmm nice plane but Supplier issue)
  • Shenyang J-11 (Odd ball contestent)
We should try to get more F-16 induct JF-17 B in large numbers and also come up with BLOCK III fast and finally around 50 SU-35 or Euro Fighter is needed to counter both Rafale and growing number of SU-30

The current fleet of 76 F16 , is in good hands

We can extend the life by timely purchase ~ Sukhoi/Mig/Euro fighter (18-40 Units) and this should ensure the workload on F16 fleet will be reduced next 5-8 Years

• 150 - JF17 - Block II = 80% Workload (Air/Ground/Sea)
  • 76 F16 - Specialized Role = 10% Workload (Air-Air)
  • 36 - (Mig/Euro F/ Sukhoi) = 10% Air - Air role , share duties with F16

Mirage/F7 ~ Support Fleet some approaching retirement

Project Azam ~ 10-15 years away

Last edited:
We are hedging our bets on JF-17 and some odd F-16s compared to IAF who is hedging its bets on SU-30MKI, Rafales, Mirages 2000. One can see who the odds favour specially when we consider the numbers as well.
You missed LCA TEJAS, which is the real competitor of JF17...

I also did not mention other IAF planes nor did i mentioned PAF mirages and F-7. You missed the point. I wouldnt lose my sleep over LCA but I will over rafales.

If we look at current economic situation and PAF condition I guess they are saving up for something big. It might be j31 or anything else. We don't have the luxury to buy expensive western fighters like our Arab friends.
What we really need to do is to make our aeronautical industry so advance that we might be able to build what we need.

Pakistan would be right to wait for a mature 5th gen from China under Azm and then mass produce it. No need to panic.

He was making a right assessment.
You should've noticed an earlier poster who bets on Block3 to be the baap of Rafale.

I also did not mention other IAF planes nor did i mentioned PAF mirages and F-7. You missed the point. I wouldnt lose my sleep over LCA but I will over rafales.
IAF spending $8 billion for 83 LCA and that is the biggest bet...

We should try to get more F-16 induct JF-17 B in large numbers and also come up with BLOCK III fast and finally around 50 SU-35 or Euro Fighter is needed to counter both Rafale and growing number of SU-30

We can't get used F16's from Jordan nevermind new F16's from USA.
I think PAF has learnt its lesson and moved on.

We can't get used F16's from Jordan nevermind new F16's from USA.
I think PAF has learnt its lesson and moved on.
F-16 from USA can come only thing is we would have to pay full price. As for Jordan they are really very old ones so either get new ones or a slight old model but not initial models

I think if we visually review the Pakistan Airforce and compare it to it's contemporary Indian Airforce , one can visually see the larger size which Indian Airforce has and also the higher performance crafts with "Twin" engines.

In recent years Pakistan Airforce have made subtle strides to modernize and retire it's older fleet of Mirage & F7 , however still we see a massive disadvantage in term of crafts available for Pilots to fly

airforcecomparison-png.454089

Many Analyst on PDF have rasied point that when we view Pakistan Airforce it always feels like we are missing a Plane , a missing Link Twin Engine plane which Occupies the Gap area between Thunder and 5 Generation craft such as Project Azm

Perhaps a Stop Gap Plane 40 Units , Mig 29 or Sukhoi-30 or Euro Fighter or Super Hornet

The idea of course being the Twin Engine craft would give a Temporary releif to Airforce which has of course flown many Sorities in War Against Terror

The odd 40 Twin Engine would bring benefits similar to the benefit the origional F16 brought in 1980's

While it is well understood the Project Azam will take the typical 10-15 year cycle for a project

• Mig 29 (Would be Temporary releif )
  • Sukhoi-35 (Ok Choice can out live F16 Program)
  • Euro Fighter (Welcomed option can outlive F16 Program)
  • Super Hornet ( hmmm nice plane but Supplier issue)
  • Shenyang J-11 (Odd ball contestent)
Excelent starting point ,just to add Mig-35 is mysterious plane and fits perfectly in PAF e.g RD93 engine commonality with AESA support and loiter times and best of all bang for buck ,Egypt order 50 copies for 2 Billion $ spread over 5-10 years this money is doable

Back
Top Bottom