What's new

End of Pakistani Interest in the T-129?

TheThreePashas

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Here's an article from a pretty reputable source suggesting that Pakistan inked a deal for Mi-35's

I guess this article/post is more about Pakistani defense than Turkish defense but, Pakistani members especially, does anyone have an idea of what happened here? Not that it was a sure sell at all but I didn't even know Russian helicopters were being considered for this role, I was under the impression of a competition between American, Turkish, and Chinese equipment.

MOSCOW, June 2 (RIA Novosti) - Russia has lifted an embargo on sales of weapons and military hardware to Pakistan and is planning to supply Islamabad with attack helicopters, the head of Russia's state defense corporation Rostec said Monday.

"Such a decision was made. We are negotiating the sales of Mi-35 helicopters to the country," Rostec CEO Sergei Chemezov said.

A source with the Pakistani Foreign Ministry told RIA Novosti there had never been an embargo on Russian sales to Pakistan in the first place.

It was rather that cooperation between Moscow and Islamabad was limited due to Russia's intensive trade with India, Pakistan's long-term rival in the region.

Russia has been supplying its Mi-8 helicopters to Iran, among others. In 2012, the two countries struck a deal worth $4.3 billion for the export modification of Russia's nigh-time strike chopper Mig Mi-28N, dubbed "Night Hunter" and for Mi-35 attack helicopters, a total of 40 aircraft.

Link

I think T129 is still on and in my personal opinion we shud opt for this platform instead of Russian choppers bcz of leverage that India has over Russia.

Here's an article from a pretty reputable source suggesting that Pakistan inked a deal for Mi-35's

I guess this article/post is more about Pakistani defense than Turkish defense but, Pakistani members especially, does anyone have an idea of what happened here? Not that it was a sure sell at all but I didn't even know Russian helicopters were being considered for this role, I was under the impression of a competition between American, Turkish, and Chinese equipment.

Link

No Offence to our brothers Turks & Chinese but this is what commented by our esteemed member from Army@Irfan Baloch

"Augusta based Turkish helicopter is an expensive and useless toy against insurgency and the Chinese Z-10 is unproven .... thing. I dont want to be rude to Chinese Mister."

I think he is probably right.

No Offence to our brothers Turks & Chinese but this is what commented by our esteemed member from Army@Irfan Baloch

"Augusta based Turkish helicopter is an expensive and useless toy against insurgency and the Chinese Z-10 is unproven .... thing. I dont want to be rude to Chinese Mister."

I think he is probably right.
There was never been an official statement about the price. How do you know it that the t129 is overpriced.

i dont believe its end of deal here...since there is no signed deal between russia and pakistan so it is still on card..

Purchasing from Russia doesn't neccesary means that all other projects/acquirements have been cancelled.
Pakistan urgently needed gunships for it's ongoing COIN operations and i guess the Russian machines were readily available.

Link
its already discussed in its original thread.https://defence.pk/threads/russia-lifts-embargo-on-weapons-supplies-to-pakistan.317040/

@Irfan Baloch

Purchasing from Russia doesn't neccesary means that all other projects/acquirements have been cancelled.
Pakistan urgently needed gunships for it's ongoing COIN operations and i guess the Russian machines were readily available.

Not just that, of all the platforms being purportedly considered, Russian platform is battle proven. Turkish and Chinese are not.

Pakistan operates a large fleet of Mi-17s.. they share certain components and their engine with the Mi-35. Which is a massive savings in terms of logistics and training for its maintenance crews. Additionally, the choppers have slightly similar handling characteristics which will also help in pilot training.

On the other hand, the T-129 has a completely new engine that has a LOT more strings attached and is more expensive. It will need complete training time for both aircrews and ground staff. Essentially, it is an expensive investment that is more suited to the shooting war with India(due to its sophisticated nature) than to combat ragtag militants running around with an AK-47, a shawl and a water bottle.

Still love - SUPRA COBRA AH1Z :(

different priorities and roles, their purchase maybe delayed but not cancelled.
if T-129 is ever inducted then it will be for the purpose of far more sophisticated and traditional enemy. T-129 is a sophisticated and expensive machine which shouldn't be wasted on Deobandi madrassah terrorists.
Hinds are robust and built for what taliban can throw at them.

Back
Top Bottom